MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 25 November 2010, 00:29
chrisd7306
Just call me: Chris

Melbourne
Australia
Digital Image security

I went to a presentation the other night on digital security.
A disturbing scenario was presented where a camera on a mobile phone was used to take photos of a car in front of a house. The photos were then downloaded to the internet as a sales promotion for the car. A few days later the car had been stolen.

Apparently when using a mobile phone camera, the GPS coordinates of where the photo was taken are embedded into the image. Freely available software on the net can be used to extract these coordinates. The thief can enter these coordinates into a program such as Google Map and get the address of where the photo was taken.

It was also mentioned that some digital cameras can record the GPS position of the photograph. Cameras have the choice of switching this information off but I do not know about phone cameras.

I thought it was worth flagging this scenario as we all have a lot of expensive machinery in our workshops which has taken a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get. But also we take pride in displaying what we have built.

It is so easy to get information in the digital age if you know where to look, it makes you think what else is being stored!!!!!!

Cheers
Chris
Old Thu 25 November 2010, 06:41
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd7306 View Post
It is so easy to get information in the digital age if you know where to look, it makes you think what else is being stored!!!!!!

Cheers
Chris
Chris,

Your phone is the last thing you need to worry about. Web site, emails, newsletters, etc. etc. etc. have been gathering more information than I can even begin to touch on in a post.

Having recently started a small (and I mean small) business, with a web presence, I've learned allot. "They" know when you open an email, how long its open, or if you didn't even read it. And you don't even have any idea that's this is being done. The cost is $40 for a 3 month subscription.

Web sites monitor every action being done. Haven't you noticed how tailored those advertisements that pop up on the web site you visit are?

I have personally chosen not to go this route in my business. Probably will always remain a small business. Maybe its time to saddle up the pack horses and take that 8 month long ride along the Continental Divide trail I've been kicking around in my head. I've already found small solar panels for charging my smart phone.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read