MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 26 October 2010, 19:00
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Hi Russell,

Looking very nice!! love seeing good solid builds!!
Cheers
Tony.
Old Tue 26 October 2010, 19:01
jessyjames
Just call me: James

Reno, Nevada
United States of America
Love it Russell. Great job and what a sturdy looking table you've got there. Now I can see what mine will look like too.

Take care,
James
Old Fri 29 October 2010, 12:05
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Light at the end of the Tunnel

Well this is where I made it to after 2 weeks of working on the MM straight. I wish I could have been a little further on but I blame it on the paint and weather.

Today I mounted all the motors. At first this was a pain because all the hardware was behind the rails. Then I broke out my car jack and everything went smoothly. Well almost. I have to remove the Y car's stepper motor and grind away at the Y car a little. The pinion is hitting before coming in contact with the rack. No big deal just have to take a few steps back.

Progress will slow down because I have to go back to work, but I hope to get a little done each day.

What good is a post without pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01543.JPG (135.6 KB, 1813 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01546.JPG (149.7 KB, 1815 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01547.JPG (138.2 KB, 1799 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01548.JPG (136.6 KB, 1798 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01549.JPG (146.2 KB, 1801 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01550.JPG (137.1 KB, 1796 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01551.JPG (136.0 KB, 1794 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01552.JPG (138.2 KB, 1794 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01553.JPG (138.9 KB, 1800 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01554.JPG (138.5 KB, 1790 views)
Old Fri 29 October 2010, 13:34
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Russell

The table looks great. You have done a fine job.

Now lets see it cutting!!!
Old Fri 29 October 2010, 14:58
Travish
Just call me: Travis #75

Wa
United States of America
Russell, Make sure to flip your Gas strut over. It will fail in that position. Gerald will spot it soon.
Old Sat 30 October 2010, 13:14
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Nice, clean build…..Congrat !
When the cutting date ??
Robert
Old Sat 27 November 2010, 18:19
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Well guys she is moving all on her own now. Took most of the day wiring the motors, proximity switches, e-stop and router power but it was well worth it.

It is easily handling 480ipm with a 15ips acceleration. I have to say it is kinda scary seeing it move across the room at those speeds. Especially when you know you dont have any hard stops set up yet.

I have maybe 20 little things to do all over the machine. Mostly painting but a little cable management is needed in a few areas. I have all the parts except for the plastic for the motor connections. That is why you will see a lot of extra cable around the motors. I will be making something like Kims but more like these for my motors. http://www.dyengineering.com/IP40.html

I will be back in a little bit with pictures and possibly a video for tomorrow.
Old Sat 27 November 2010, 19:18
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Pictures as promised.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02035.JPG (145.8 KB, 1652 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02036.JPG (146.1 KB, 1648 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02037.JPG (152.0 KB, 1652 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02039.JPG (132.1 KB, 1648 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02040.JPG (138.7 KB, 1654 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02041.JPG (144.8 KB, 1655 views)
Old Sat 27 November 2010, 21:13
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Bravo! Brilliant job! You will be cutting in no time!
Old Sat 27 November 2010, 22:34
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Well done Russell!
Old Sun 28 November 2010, 06:08
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...I can't wait to see how nice the Bridgeport looks with MDF dust all over it!

Great work Russell - I'm going to have to plan a road trip to the west coast to visit soon. Your only 2 hours away!
Old Sun 28 November 2010, 17:09
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
That really looks very nice. Excellent workmanship.
Old Sun 28 November 2010, 19:54
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Gerald, Thanks for posting, documenting and supporting your creation. I cannot tell you how many failed attempts I had over on the zone. I now just call it them learning experiences.

Sean, dust on the Bridgeport is nothing to worry about. The SWMBO washer and dryer are just out of photo range. Dusty clean clothes are not going to sit well with her. Dust collection is going to be priority number 1.

I still have to mess around a little with the distance. I think I am entering in something wrong with Emc stepconfig. The distance traveled is slightly less than predicted but close. Off by a few inches over table travel. I figure it out.

You will notice in the video I need to mess around with the accel and deccel of the axis. Other wise I end up with huge rounded corners.

Video as promised. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nInejjW7Ko
Old Sun 28 November 2010, 21:57
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Cool !!! Put the stickers on it man !!!. Nice build !!! Next comes the number.
Old Sun 28 November 2010, 22:10
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regnar View Post
I still have to mess around a little with the distance. I think I am entering in something wrong with Emc stepconfig. The distance traveled is slightly less than predicted but close. Off by a few inches over table travel. I figure it out.

You will notice in the video I need to mess around with the accel and deccel of the axis. Other wise I end up with huge rounded corners.
*if your configuration is close* Cut a profile around a 90 x 40 shallow rectangle in your spoilboard. Measure the actual result. Call the results X and Y. Divide 90 by X (90/X) and 40 by Y. Average the two dividends. Open the EMC *.ini file that stepconfig created in a text editor.

The ini file has a section pertaining to each axis (x,y and z) EMC calls those three axes, 0,1 and 2 (respectively). Look in each section for the value "Scale=(value)". It is my understanding that these values represents microsteps per inch. Multiply the numeric value by the dividend you found in the previous step. Assuming all three axes have the same hardware, replace all three instances of "scale=(value)" with "scale=(new value)

For instance, if your cut result was 89 x 39.5; 90/89=1.0112. 40/39.5=1.01266. Those results average to 1.0119. Multiply 1.0119 by the scale value shown in the .ini file.

Cut a border around another 90x40 rectangle to verify your results.

The rounded corners are probably not acceleration. They are probably because g61 (exact path) is active by default. Try "g64 p0.003" instead.

http://www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/gcode.html

Last edited by lumberjack_jeff; Sun 28 November 2010 at 22:27..
Old Mon 29 November 2010, 09:52
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Looks Great Russell! Hurry up with those labels, #69 is so close!
Old Mon 29 November 2010, 19:36
fredjr
Just call me: jimmy #65

pensacola florida
United States of America
Just a sticker away

Russell: Your build is looking real good. You're probably making dust as I write this. I have also turned to more dust collection. I have converted an oil drum (maybe 15 gallons) to a dust collector with a Thiens separator this past weekend. Have ordered a Wynn air filter like Nils and others have used. Have a older Jet dust collector at shop that needs some bearings and may do the same thing for cleaning the floors. I have completed one mirror and working on a second one that is a little larger and some what different. Still working my way up to the floor model. The kindling pile is a little smaller. A couple of weekends ago my grandson and I were in Mobile, Al. for a Renaissance Faire and must have been close to the airport and seen a USCG plane pass over. When we left the Renaissance Faire it took us one hour to make it home. Hope that helps if your second choice becomes first so Heather can stay in the Florida school system Again your MM is first class. Thanks Jimmy
Old Wed 01 December 2010, 01:33
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
I think we are going to have to have a Florida MM meeting and celebration.
Old Wed 01 December 2010, 08:50
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Thanks for the kind words guys. I truely couldnt do it without the members in this forum. If it wasnt for the help getting the control box figured out I would have probably stopped and sold off everything.

Ok so the peer pressure got to me. I was going to wait until everything was done but figured that would probably be never, I mean are we ever done working on our machines

Btw: The cables hanging for the Y axis are being dealt with. I am waiting on snail mail to show up with cable ducting but I wont be able to take care of it until the end of December.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01724.JPG (139.1 KB, 1534 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01725.JPG (134.4 KB, 1529 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01726.JPG (140.8 KB, 1542 views)
Old Wed 01 December 2010, 09:34
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
#69 It is !!!

Man that looks great !!!! You get #69 !! Congrats on your build.
Old Wed 01 December 2010, 12:58
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Well done and enjoy it. Let's see lots of dust soon.
Old Wed 01 December 2010, 19:00
fredjr
Just call me: jimmy #65

pensacola florida
United States of America
up and running

Russell: Congratulations on your #69 machine. First class as well as the builder.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old Wed 01 December 2010, 19:25
Rad Racer
Just call me: Wayne #25

Minnesota
United States of America
That's a good looking machine.....you've done a great job with the build.

Congratulations on #69
Old Thu 02 December 2010, 01:47
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Russell,

Congratulations! It is nice to see there is another MM operating in FL. You have done an excellent job on your build. I am looking forward to driving over for a personal look to see the details of your machine.
Old Thu 02 December 2010, 05:06
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Great & happy for you RUSSELL

Now, phase 2 starts….. Enjoying, understanding & developing operational skills….another fun part !!
Robert
Old Thu 02 December 2010, 05:25
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Well done! This is such a delightful build to follow.

I bet you are all fired up to plunge into the sea of machine operation...
Old Thu 02 December 2010, 06:27
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Builder's Log Update

Russell,

Congratulations on Serial #69. Looking good!

Here is the Updated Builder's Log.

Please let me know the cutting dimensions for the Builder's Log.

And, please review the Builder's Log Entry and let me know any changes you would like.
Old Tue 21 December 2010, 10:13
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Mechmate is under control of my Ipod

Well guys it seems like I never get to work on the machine until today. I was able to find tune all the Proximity Switches, Set the right size step (I forgot about Pi) and get my Ipod to control my MM under Emc2 and do a couple of test cuts. Next will be a dust collector before we do anymore cutting. I know the dust is going to drive my wife insane.

Well anyways if you guys are interested about making a Ipod Touch as a Pendant you should really check out HippoRemote. I wouldnt purchase just yet because I am having problems with Jogging the machine. When under constant it seems to move like someone is quickly and randomly pushing the arrow keys. The developer and I are working on a solution. For now I set it up using Increments and repeating keys. It takes a little while to get from one end to the other but its not that bad.

Some of the good about the app is you can assign multiple keystrokes to a button. You will notice in the video that I am able to turn on Emc2 with one button when it usually requires 2 keystrokes. I was also able to do a touch off with one keystroke. This usually requires a keystroke, Number input, enter key. So when I do the touch off in the video the remote is pressing the End Key, 0.0, Enter. You could also set the 0.0 to what ever set off that you would like.
I havent tried it yet but you can have 25 keys on each page with a total of 5 pages. I think 12 per a page isnt to bad on the eyes and I dont for see any accidental pushes.

Well anyways here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVj8JvKpqW0
Old Tue 21 December 2010, 18:40
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Russell,

Are you sure you want that high priced phone in the working conditions of your MM?

After the holidays and the latest job I have to finish, I will drop in on you and see you how your phone works. Set up a camera and you could be cutting while you are at work.
Old Tue 21 December 2010, 20:14
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Nils, no high priced phone here. Just the Ipod and it is the least of my worries. Lots of nice precision things and laundry around the machine.

I use it mostly use the ipod for entertainment but figured I save a few bucks over using a dedicated pendant. Like I said there are some flaws but I am working on making it better.

Definitely have to get you over here once you can. Anytime between the 29th to Jan 3 is good for me. I need to check out that new snazzy truck. By the way my neighbors mail box is pretty close as well

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read