MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 21 November 2009, 03:14
romain
Just call me: Romain

-
France
hi newbie from France

Hi everybody !!!

I'm Romain, i live in France (sorry for my bad english) and i'm 26.

I discover this forum and the MechMate concept a few days ago. It is an amazing concept, and the most incredible is that you share the technical datas. After some days spent on the web, i must say that MechMate look like the best self builder CNC router.

So, I would like build my own CNC router, but why ? In fact, i work as designer in a french little group (120 persons) and we produce signs for famous french compagnies like Citroën (car). But when we answer on an invitation to tender, we must in the most of case provide a prototype and unfortunatly for me, i know how does it work the CNC router of my workshop compagny. We have already one like this (working size are 4020x2060):
mecanuméric.jpg

But you'll tell me : what's the problem ? what wrong? The problem is that i have much difficulties to produce my prototype during the working hours because of the CNC's overload in work. So i cut my prototype before and after the working hours. And my wife begin to be very angry!!! Then, with an other CNC router in my workshop, i will make my produce during normal hour.

But it's not the only reason, i really like make the thongs by myself, and i beleive that build a CNC router is a very good exercice.

Now i start to draw my CNC on solidworks ( thanks to the very good and very complete technical data) to understand all the different parts.

I'll probably have a lot of questions during my project and i know that here is the best place to answer, and the first question i have is what are you thinking if the grantry will be in aluminium ? it will be lighter, so the inertia should less important and the acceleration of the gantry should be more import. Of course the size of the beam pearhaps should be a thicker and higher, to keep the grantry's rigidity.

Well, i hope that you 'll understand me with all my grammar faults.

Thank's a lot !!!
Old Sat 21 November 2009, 03:58
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Hi Romain, welcome!

Aluminium is 3 times more flexible than steel. I am sure that your other CMC machines at your company have steel gantries. So, I am not a supporter of aluminium used for the main parts of machine and woodworking tools. If you have problems to move the inertia of steel parts, then you need bigger motors.....not lighter and more flexible parts.
Old Sat 21 November 2009, 05:32
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
Hi Romain.
Welcome
I'm learning much technical English here.
Old Sat 21 November 2009, 06:01
romain

-
France
hi Gerald,

Thanks for your reply, i except this type of answer. i have to ask... So i'm proceeding to draw my Mechmate. I don't kown if i draw an 1550x2050 working table (half of european standard PMMA sheet) or a 2050x3050 working table. The cost won't be the same. I think that i do the 2 quotations and after i'll decide.

Last edited by romain; Sat 21 November 2009 at 06:21..
Old Sat 21 November 2009, 06:23
zenair10
Just call me: mario

shawinigan Qc
Canada
hi Romain!!! and welcome aboard!!
bienvenue a toi!!!
Old Sat 21 November 2009, 07:04
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Hello Romain,

welcome and good luck with your build.
Can´t wait to see first pictures.

Claus
Old Sun 22 November 2009, 13:53
romain

-
France
hello,

i still continue to draw my mechmate, and now i have some difficulties to found rack section 15x15 but i found some with 10x10 section. Does it matter ?
Old Sun 22 November 2009, 15:34
romain

-
France
ok i virtually begin the mount of the different part. I must say that this concept is so good. All is good thinking. I continue

Sans titre-1.jpg

Sans titre-2.jpg
Old Sun 22 November 2009, 23:19
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Hello Romain,

If you go for Module 1 Rack then it should be 15 mm !
I also ordered my racks and pinions Mod1 and they came with a 15 mm width.
It should be 15mm. This is the right dimension.

I also was confused because I thought Mod1 is 10mm and Mod1.5 should be 15mm and so on.
Truth is I have seen Rack Data sheets where Mod 1 is 10mm and other 15 mm, Mod1.5 is 15 mm and others 17,5. Confusing right?
Maybe my dealer made a mistake but it came out ok.

BTW your drawings looks nice. You should also think about stiffen the legs with braces on Y axes.
bye

Last edited by Claudiu; Sun 22 November 2009 at 23:48..
Old Mon 23 November 2009, 03:54
romain

-
France
thanks Claus for this advice. Where should you place the braces on the Y axe ?
Old Mon 23 November 2009, 08:00
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Hello Romain,

You have also lateral forces created by the Y Car, thats why I thought it good to have strenghten also the table in y axis.
Sans titre-1.jpg

It is the Cross Angle Brace 10 10 304 S.

Greetings
Claus
Old Mon 23 November 2009, 10:35
romain

-
France
ok thank you for this remark, i'll add in my sketch
Old Thu 03 December 2009, 12:53
romain

-
France
Hello,

just some news, now i don't really have some time to continue my plan because i'm very busy at work so i come back home very late.

But i continue my search of an equivalent of Geeko stepper motor drive and i find this reference http://www.soprolec.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=83I. My stepper motor will be the PK296AE-SG7.2 for all the axis. Can Anybody tell me if this stepping driver is the good one ?

Thanks for your reply.

Old Thu 03 December 2009, 15:10
Polder48
Just call me: polder

Edam
Netherlands
Hello Romain,

Why bother with this drive when you can buy the proven Gecko 203 for 147 euro? Good luck with your build.

Polder
Old Thu 03 December 2009, 22:06
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Nice, I like the ability to takes AC and hence save the time & $ to build a DC power supply. Mind you, the 22,000uf 100V + crimp terminals, cost me about $60.
Comes with proper heatsink & casing, in my opinion should be compulsory.
I would give it a try if its more economical. say half the price...

Of course, there are many other options available, like what they say, add a different color spot on a canvas & you will get a colorful picture after some time. Keep exploring if you have the time.

I wouldn't rule out Chinese stuff, they really gave their competitors a good run for the money.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read