MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 18 May 2008, 18:01
dmoore
Just call me:

K2 Hitachi Router Mount Modification using SteelMax Saw

The stock K2 Hitachi (and most other K2 mounts) will not mount directly to the Z-Slide due to clearance issues with the v-Wheels and bolts. I used my steelmax (highly recommended...) to cut off the corners at 45 degrees and then again to cut a notch for the allen head bolts. It perfectly clears the rollers without adding an additional spacer or removing any more material than neccessary. See photos below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5170477 (Small).JPG (54.6 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg P5170479 (Small).JPG (49.7 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg P5170480 (Small).JPG (50.0 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg P5180495 (Small).JPG (39.7 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg P5180497 (Small).JPG (33.1 KB, 319 views)
Old Sun 18 May 2008, 19:50
WTI
Just call me: James

Detroit (Michigan)
United States of America
The SteelMax and the Evolution TCT saws are amazing, but for that cut, I think I would have used a bandsaw.

I wonder is it just the blade on the SteelMax? What would happen if one were to use a SteelMax blade in any 3900 RPM saw?
Old Sun 18 May 2008, 19:59
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
The SteelMax saw definitely turns slower than the typical circular saw. Also, they attempt to stop you from trying that by making the arbor hole in the blade a "different" size. I personally wouldn't try it. The saw is well made and not that expensive if you find a used one on ebay. It is absolutely fantastic to have around.
Old Sun 18 May 2008, 21:54
dmoore
Just call me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTI View Post
The SteelMax and the Evolution TCT saws are amazing, but for that cut, I think I would have used a bandsaw.

I wonder is it just the blade on the SteelMax? What would happen if one were to use a SteelMax blade in any 3900 RPM saw?
I wish I had a metal cutting bandsaw - that surely would have been the right choice here. It does show that the SteelMax saw has lots of places in the MechMate build, even the finer detailed cutting like this.

The SteelMax saw appears to be fairly geared down, more so than a typical circular saw. The steelmax saw isn't much more expensive than a regular saw - I only paid $30 for mine off ebay, used.
Old Thu 22 May 2008, 07:17
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
David, Others,

When I modified my router brackets, I cut the aluminum with a metal blade and a jig saw. Operated at a slow cutting speed. Worked well.
Old Thu 22 May 2008, 16:54
WTI
Just call me: James

Detroit (Michigan)
United States of America
We cut 3/4" aluminum plate all day long on a regular wood bandsaw.

Put in a blade with the least teeth (we use 3tpi).

Run it at the fastest speed setting.

Vacuum out all the wood chips and sawdust before beginning.

No need for coolant, the metal never even gets hot.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read