MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 01 January 2012, 11:23
Darin
Just call me: Darin #93

Clarksville, TN
United States of America
It's done and made it's first cut! #93 - Clarksville TN USA

I purchased the project that Cordell started in Johnson city TN. http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2570 He said he lost interest and funding and was glad to see it go to a new home. It was a long drive but Rob "Cordell" made me a fair deal.

I hope to not drag this project out to long. I plan to jump into finishing what I have tomorrow cleaning up the mill scale and surface rust, and finishing all the welds in the table.

I've started a shopping list for the remaining parts (mostly electrical) racks and pinions, and cable chains.

I'm sure I will need a lot of help. Even though I have read about every post on the site now that I have specific questions about Geko's, breakout boards, wire, emergency stops etc I find myself working hard not to ask stupid questions.

Metalhead, I would like to talk to you about an electrical kit without the box and motors

Darin

Last edited by Darin; Sun 01 January 2012 at 11:46.. Reason: add pic
Old Sun 01 January 2012, 11:41
bolingerbe
Just call me: Bryan #54

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Good luck with your build Darin..
Old Sun 01 January 2012, 12:13
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Darin,

Good luck finishing your new purchase. Don't worry about asking stupid questions. We have all been in that position. It is the only way to learn.
Old Sun 01 January 2012, 12:32
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Darin!
Old Sun 01 January 2012, 17:56
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome Darin and let me know what parts you need. I may have them.
Old Sun 01 January 2012, 18:24
Darin

Clarksville, TN
United States of America
parts

sent you a pm Mike,

I researched tape to secure the racks quite a while today I found an alternative to the 3m that sounds just as good for quite a bit less

http://www.findtape.com/product428/J...pe.aspx?tid=16

I ordered a roll I'll let everyone know the results
Old Sun 01 January 2012, 21:04
Darin

Clarksville, TN
United States of America
I would sure appreciate some opinions on this PC http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...sku=J001-22004 i'm pretty sure it will do just fine for a dedicated machine just to run the mechmate using Mach.
Old Sun 01 January 2012, 22:25
baseball43v3r
Just call me: John #96

Glendora (California)
United States of America
check ebay. I got mine that matched those specs, for $50 dollars including free shipping. That will do fine if you decide to get it.
Old Mon 02 January 2012, 11:28
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
That computer looks good from here too.
Dont forget you might need a parallel card.

THis one

is the same one that PMDX sells from what I have read. Look at the pics on both sites, they look and spec the same, but cheaper.

PMDX Parallel

Last edited by domino11; Mon 02 January 2012 at 11:32..
Old Mon 02 January 2012, 11:44
IN-WondeR
Just call me: Kim

Randers
Denmark
The Computer he links to, alrady have a Paralell port installed, so no need to get an insert card for that.
Old Mon 02 January 2012, 12:30
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Yes, I know but some motherboards parallel do not work that well with Mach. This card is the one recommended by PMDX.
Old Mon 02 January 2012, 13:10
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
I have used that small form factor machine (albeit a HP version with the same specs) for a MechMate. I did put in a separate LPT card for exactly the reason mentioned.
Old Mon 02 January 2012, 18:59
Darin

Clarksville, TN
United States of America
progress today

Thanks a lot for the help on the computer guys!

Today I was able to clean the rust and mill scale off of quite a bit of the steel and finish the welding on one of the main side frames. I also put the leeling feet on two of the legs.

[IMG] [/IMG]
Old Wed 04 January 2012, 10:28
Darin

Clarksville, TN
United States of America
motors

My motors are 3xmotion brand 90 hs series and I dont have an paperwork with them.

I found this online http://www.3xmotion.com/2008/stepper_motors.pdf my particular motor is listed on the last page top of the chart "90hs65de053"

but I still don't know the inductance, or should I be able to figure it from the information there? Is anyone else using these. there hooked to 3/1 belt drives and I'm planning to use 20 tooth pinions. Any guidance on the power supply will be much appreciated.
Old Thu 05 January 2012, 14:13
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
only similar motor that I found a good datasheet is here
http://www.machmotion.com/manuals/St...HS78DE062D.pdf

its right after the one you own in the list, and its has a stated 2mH inductance in bipolar paralel connection. Because of the same current and smaller lenght yours can only have smaller inductance so to be safe use something like 1.6 or 1.8mH
That would give you around 40V maximum voltage for those motors.
Old Thu 05 January 2012, 17:35
Darin

Clarksville, TN
United States of America
thanks Danilo

I also contacted the original purchaser and just moments after your post he lead me to this http://www.homeshopcnc.com/index.php...rt&Itemid=9999

Looks like your estimation was spot on! Thank you for doing the research. I hadn't even thought of comparing it to similar motors.

I'm worried the motors are going to be under powered and i'm off to research torque requirements and also if I can oversize my power supply for a future motor upgrade. I was also thinking that their prob. plenty powerful for the shared axis and the z axis Im wondering if I should consider just changing to a bigger motor for the y. Everyone's input and direction is definitely appreciated.

I finished all the metal prep and priming today, bought the Mechmate Blue paint and received my computer, touch screen, racks, pinions, and cable chains.
Old Fri 06 January 2012, 05:56
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
The 90HS78 motor has 736 oz*in of holding torque, which is much more than you'll need if you use a 3:1 gearbox. It's frame size is between the Oriental Motor PK296-F4.5 and the PK299.F4.5 motors. It's holding torque is almost as high as the PK299-F4.5 motor.

I believe that Danilo's power supply suggestion was very accurate. I've used 35VDC to 50VDC power supplies with the PK299-F4.5 motor with excellent results.
Old Fri 06 January 2012, 07:06
Darin

Clarksville, TN
United States of America
hs 65 vs hs 78

Mike,
I don't have the hs78's sure wish I did. I have the hs65's. The 65's are quite a bit smaller.
Old Fri 06 January 2012, 21:24
Darin

Clarksville, TN
United States of America
[IMG] [/IMG]
Old Fri 06 January 2012, 21:51
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Sweet !! Blue !! Hope that wall and door are real dusty so that overspray can wash off.

Oh yeah - It appears your being watched ... may want to look into that
Old Fri 06 January 2012, 23:49
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
You are really flying....Like I said 4+ years ago...THIS THING IS ADDICTIVE.....enjoy
Old Sat 07 January 2012, 07:00
Darin

Clarksville, TN
United States of America
Smile

Kobus, It is very addictive! I've been wanting to do this so long and watching it done all over the world. I'm under some pressure to get my shop back in order for customer projects, its pretty well consumed by Mechmate right now. I am absolutely enjoying this!

Mike, That's my youngest son AJ he was helping me close up shop for the day. He is creative and very interested in this project. Maybe another generation of Mechmaters is comming up. That's not the first color on that door lol. I really didn't expect such wild overspray. Getting every angle on all that tubing took some very odd spray techniques.
Thanks for the comments guys
Old Sat 07 January 2012, 07:15
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
The smaller motor has the same basic characteristics as the PK296-F4.5 motor. I've recommended the 296 for use with a 3:1 belt-drive. You would have over 1,300 oz*in of torque with that motor/belt-drive. For comparison, my Shopbot PRT-Alpha originally came with motors that produced less than 600 oz*in of holding torque. That machine had plenty of power; it just had too much chatter. I added 3:1 belt-drives which turned it into a usable machine.
Old Sat 07 January 2012, 20:39
Darin

Clarksville, TN
United States of America
Thanks Mike,
I appreciate your point of view very much, I'm done worrying about the motors. I'm sure you are correct.
Old Tue 10 January 2012, 20:10
Darin

Clarksville, TN
United States of America
I think i'm done with the mechanical part except the spoilboard. All the electrical is still on the way. I put the image of my set-up for drilling the pinions because I was shocked how well it worked. I thought a future builder might benefit from it.

[IMG] [/IMG]
Old Tue 10 January 2012, 21:23
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Sweet - Should have your stuff in the post tomorrow. I had a few legend plates on backorder, but got that fixed.
Old Wed 11 January 2012, 16:29
Darin

Clarksville, TN
United States of America
Hi everyone I got the power supply I ordered today and was shocked at how small it was (physical size and weight) I looked back at the sticky post about sizing the power supply and found I made a mistake, by not adding all the amps needed and then taking 67% of that, so basically I sized my power supply to one motor instead of 4.. Then I started reading where people are saying they are using power supplies as small as the one I bought.. So i'm a little confused. I'm gonna attempt to show my math below that seems to point me to buy another power supply and run two geckos on each. I would appreciate some input.

I had decided to hook my motors up parallel and here are the specs for that option

volts 1.82
amps 7.0
inductance 1.2 mh

so I calculated as follows

20x voltage =36.4 volts or 32 x sq rt of 1.2mh = 35volts
so the power supply I bought is 36 volts

here's the trouble I thought 7amps was simply what i needed so the supply I bought happens to be a bit oversized for that at 10 amps

I now have calculated 7 amps x 4 motors 28amps * 67%= 18.76 amps about double what I have.

So now to my actual question do I have my math right this time? do I need another equivalent power supply?

Thanks
Darin
Old Wed 11 January 2012, 18:23
baseball43v3r

Glendora (California)
United States of America
voltage needed = 32 * sqrt(1.2) = 35.05 volts

Watts needed = with 4 motors, the max you will pull is 28 Amps (if all motors are moving simultaneously at max speed). You can therefore downrate that to 2/3 of 28 amps with is 18 amps or so. since watts is volts X amps, you need a power supply with 650 watts or so. There is quite a bit of room for flucuation in that.

in essence a good power supply for you will be 35 volts, 650 VA (watts).

you have told us the voltage of the power supply but you didn't tell us the wattage, that is an important factor in determining the power supply. check this thread for a primer.

http://mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56

and either one of these power supplies would be a good match with those specs. (anyone want to double check for me?)

https://www.antekinc.com/details.php?p=233

https://www.antekinc.com/details.php?p=410

You can use the power supply you bought, but you probably won't be able to achieve max speeds because enough power won't be getting through, but it depends on your gearing, and if you are comfortable with the max speeds that the machine gives you with the PS. I personally think it is undersized, but maybe those with a little more knowledge than me can shed some light.

Last edited by baseball43v3r; Wed 11 January 2012 at 18:26.. Reason: added last paragraph.
Old Wed 11 January 2012, 18:36
Darin

Clarksville, TN
United States of America
Thanks John,
I think you confirmed what i'm thinking. I have about half the ps i need. It's 36 volts 10 amps so 360 VA.
There wont be a problem using two power supplies right?
Old Wed 11 January 2012, 18:44
baseball43v3r

Glendora (California)
United States of America
If you have space in your box then it'll be fine, but why not just trade in the one you have and get a bigger one? It'll be a little bit cleaner that way.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read