MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 20. Gantry
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 12 May 2010, 05:09
hutchcj
Just call me: Colin

Sydney
Australia
10 60 318 Gantry Cable Duct - Can we do away with it?

I've been planning to build a MechMate for some time and I have finally started buying some of the bits, so the build (and posting) should start fairly soon I hope.

Anyway, I've been going over the plans and I was wondering if we actually need the Gantry Cable Duct (10 60 318).

Is there any reason why I shouldn't cut a hole in the Gantry Tube (10 20 440) near the Y Cable Chain end and feed the cables through the Gantry Tube and Stiffening Closure?

Other than a small reduction in stiffness, I can't see a problem?
Old Wed 12 May 2010, 06:13
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Colin, that could work. I see some possible reasons to avoid it, none of them major:

- It will be a fairly sharp S bend in the cables
- There are lots of potentially sharp edges to deal with, at your hole, the Stiffening Closure, and the ends of the bolts holding the rail.
- You will potentially be running both high and low voltage through the same "conduit"
- The hole in the Stiffening Closure is fairly small, and could get crowded depending on how much cabling you end up running.

As long as those don't concern you with your plans, I think it's okay.
Old Wed 12 May 2010, 06:50
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
A couple of guys have done that and discovered that they need to stay out of the way of the y-car's hold-down roller. I don't think that anyone has put spindle cooling pipes through there yet.

I have a problem with the concept of cutting holes in the most critical part of the gantry simply for a small "aesthetic improvement".
Old Wed 12 May 2010, 22:32
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Colin,
I actually tried to lay the cables as you mentioned as there are a few missing pieces in my laser cut package.... hope to "get away" with the short coming...
It is actually more difficult then it seems to fit all the cables in the gantry tubes & keep them organised...
I find it easier to lay the cables & organise the cables with the cable duct.
Like you, I question the stiffness of the plastic cable duct, I ended up with off the shelve 3" wide x 1/2" deep metal cable tray c/w cover. cost less then US3 per 8' length. I also fabricated some brackets from my rail off cuts, (could had just bough some brackets as they are not expensive & helps keep a peace in mind) here

BTW, don't get too worried over the seemingly weak cable duct, the most brutal force they will ever experience when you give them the huge yank just to satisfy yourself, after which, you will leave them alone for a long long time
Old Thu 13 May 2010, 02:04
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
We fit plastic cable ducts to garbage trucks with d/sided tape and that is a good solution.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read