MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 20. Gantry
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 30 January 2011, 22:24
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
Gantry end assembly. Is this correct

I've studied the plans and flipped the parts and understand that cabling management depends where you bring the cables in, but I'm still unsure whether I have the correct bits bolted together, so I'd thought I'd check before squaring and welding.
I'm attempting to build a "standard" MM according to the plans.

Much appreciated.
Red
Old Sun 30 January 2011, 22:38
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
The part on the left is correct, but the one on the right is not, the bent end closures must point up, so that they cover the ends of the gantry tubes.

You also need to swop the end closures on each side, on the left side the one with the slot on the side must face into the centre, on the right side you must rotate and swop ends so the tab that the cable chain connects to must point down with the triangular hole in side facing the centre. When assembled with the gantry tubes these two with the slots/holes on the sides will be on either end of the same gantry tube (which will be the rear one once on the table)

Last edited by Alan_c; Sun 30 January 2011 at 22:47..
Old Mon 31 January 2011, 16:16
Red_boards

Melbourne
Australia
Quote:
will be on either end of the same gantry tube
Key bit of info. Thanks. The option tags on the plans are good, but confused me a bit.

As for getting things upside down. Shows what happens when you get too close to the thing and plans and forget the big picture.

Many thanks.
Old Mon 31 January 2011, 17:57
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
May be I am wrong, but it looks like that the left is incorrect, The closures on the left one need to be pointing down. And the closures on the right one need to be swapped.

May be this will help visualizing http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...dd05577cba1ffc
The sketchup doesn't show the different type closures though.

to be sure, search on the forums to get some pictures of people
Old Mon 31 January 2011, 22:48
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
See this thread for some pics, remember the gantry in post 3 is upside down on the table.
Old Tue 01 February 2011, 05:15
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
I was trying to look that up in google, but google doesn't have any pictures of the forum anymore
Old Tue 01 February 2011, 09:26
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Google should never have had pictures of the forum because they were always "behind" the password.
Old Wed 02 February 2011, 11:59
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Gerald,

you are correct and my wordings are incorrect, I used to use google to find the topics and then beable to find the pictures. This doesn't seem to work anymore.
Old Wed 02 February 2011, 18:37
Red_boards

Melbourne
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_c View Post
See this thread for some pics, remember the gantry in post 3 is upside down on the table.
Thanks, Alan. I'd been referring to that thread quite a bit.

Is the gantry in post 1 a view of the "far" side that opposes the "near side" pics in Post 3?

I think I'm getting it. I'll mock it all up with bolts and clamps and then it should sink in.

Ries. Thanks I've downloaded Sketchup and will study your model.
Old Sat 05 February 2011, 01:21
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Red These may help you !!

Cheers
Tony.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read