MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 20. Gantry
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 29 March 2009, 10:33
SteveE
Just call me: Steve

Louisville, KY
United States of America
Y-Rail Distance

I went the aluminum rail and V Track route with my MechMate. I've finished welding up the gantry and the car. I'm in the process of mounting the aluminum/V track rails on the gantry. With the aluminum having a 1/2"(+) overhang(so I can mount the spur track under it), the distance between the V track point is roughly 21 inches. With the rollers mounted in the car using just a washer as a shim, the distance between the roller valleys is roughly 22 inches. Using washers as shims for test fit, it looks like I will need shim spacers of 5/8" to get the V bearings correctly placed over the V track. Does this sound out of the ordinary? Or could I extend the aluminum overhang of the gantry rails to more like 3/4"(+)?

Other than that, all is going well, table is almost done and electronics are on the way...

Steve
Old Sun 29 March 2009, 14:48
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Extend the alu overhang as far as possible. (more than 3/4")

If you don't do this, the pinion gear cannot reach to the rack before it falls off the short shaft of the motor.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read