MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Motors & their mountings
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 20 January 2012, 11:07
Zouave
Just call me: Eric #115

Sacramento, CA
United States of America
Turning down Motor Shafts to 1/2"

So, while I have been racking my brain for solutions to my 14mm shaft to 1/2" bore issue from my motors to my gears (and subsequent belt drive...), I had this brief question come to mind...

How hard is it to disassemble a stepper motor, remove the shaft, machine the end down to 1/2", reassemble it, and have it still work properly? Am I just asking for trouble? It seems like I saw somewhere on the forums where someone had done that, but I'm a little hesitant to do it without knowing what I'm in for. I'm looking through the post Gerald shared showing the interior of a stepper motor, but it doesn't show the shaft itself as being removable.

Thoughts?
Old Fri 20 January 2012, 11:25
Zouave
Just call me: Eric #115

Sacramento, CA
United States of America
Apparently, having read more threads about removing parts of the motor, this falls under the VERY BAD IDEA category. Will not be attempting this, and will go back to figuring out how to bore out all my stuff to 14mm.

Mike, if you want to delete this thread, feel free to. Also, can I get my planning thread moved over to the build in progress thread? Seeing as I'm like 90% done with it?
Old Fri 20 January 2012, 13:40
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Eric,
I bored everything on my drill press. Centerfinder, then step drilled up to the correct size. No issues in 4 years on 4 machines.
Old Sat 21 January 2012, 15:55
WTI
Just call me: James

Detroit (Michigan)
United States of America
If you take apart a modern, square stepper, it looses 40% of its torque instantly.

I've been told that they are magnetized after assembly, and if you disturb the magnetic field, it all goes to hell.
Old Sat 21 January 2012, 16:03
WTI
Just call me: James

Detroit (Michigan)
United States of America
http://www.servorepair.com/servo_talk_sample.htm
Old Sat 21 January 2012, 17:44
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
If you have to replace a stepper motor in the future, it would need the shaft mod as well.
Old Sat 21 January 2012, 22:38
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTI View Post
If you take apart a modern, square stepper, it looses 40% of its torque instantly
From personal experience, I don't agree with that statement.

The shaft could be machined without disassembly of the motor.

I wouldn't machine the shaft.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read