MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 10 August 2008, 07:13
kaartman
Just call me: Koning #20

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Indexer Going IN! #20 - Abu Dhabi, UAE

I have started the fabrication of my MechMate in Abu Dhabi, all the electronic stuffs, racks& pinions has been bought and is in a container bopping on the ocean between USA and Abu Dhabi, all the necessary steel is on my trailer ready to be transformed into a good looking MechMate.
The first cut in a piece of wood should be by the end of September, would want it sooner but we need to maintain a balance in life with work, social life and MechMate.
Thank you Gerald, thank you for making the plans available to us, for the time that you devote to make sure we all smile at the end of the day and for paying our school fees, this can be a expensive learning curve. I take my hat of for all the shared knowledge and support that is available from all the members, nice to know in this day that people are so willing to help, thank you guys.
Old Sun 10 August 2008, 07:47
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Welcome aboard & best of luck in you built. When time permits, show us some photos of your progress / built !
Amicelement, Robert
Old Sun 10 August 2008, 22:46
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Maybe you can just leave the pieces of steel outside in the desert...the heat could fuse it together somedays
Good luck with the build and YES we need proof...lots and lots of pictures
Old Tue 12 August 2008, 03:11
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Rails drilled, cut and grind

Thank you for the welcome words.
I made this adaption for my Makita grinder form offcut MDF and a few screws, the grinder fits snug into the MDF supports, I made sure that no high squeezing pressure is exerted onto the housing of the grinder body. It worked well for me, the cutting and grinding is off to a great start and completed, the temperature is not of the cutting disc, it is our 11h00 morning temperature in full shade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hor.JPG (16.7 KB, 1871 views)
File Type: jpg 45deg.JPG (28.2 KB, 1879 views)
File Type: jpg temp.JPG (22.2 KB, 1878 views)
Old Tue 12 August 2008, 04:12
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
nice grinder attachment though!
Old Tue 19 August 2008, 05:56
mamumucho
Just call me: mamumucho

mandalay
Myanmar
thanks for grinder attachment
Old Tue 02 September 2008, 10:44
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
This past few weeks the MM was moved to the side, August was a month of illness in our household. My wife was admitted to hospital to drain a Spontaneous Pneumo-thorax, while she was in hospital I took my two girls for ice skating, the youngest one fell end fractured her right Ulna bone. The oldest developed a nasty middle ear infection and I had a nasty flew with the change of the season. We are all on good track again and the building has started again this past weekend
I have received the Y-car from the water jet cutters and the bending is also completed.
All the cross bearers is cut and drilled, X rails cut to size, pre assembly will start by this weekend.
Old Tue 02 September 2008, 12:56
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
"Sterkte ou maat! Hoop dit gaan beter."Don`t fall of your bike and get into hospital yourself then you won`t be able to build your machine.
Old Tue 02 September 2008, 13:54
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Koning,
Hope all improves for your family. Isnt it hard to keep ice at 44.4 C?
Old Wed 03 September 2008, 09:20
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Cross Bearers drilled

Baie dankie manne dit gaan baie goed by die huis, thank you it is all much better at home at this moment, My girls make sure that my glass stay full with new ice all day long.
This how I made sure all the holes in the cross bearers are 100% perfect to layout according to the drawings,
i used the same clamp strip principle that is used on the gantry tubes, took flatbar and measured the hole locations to spec, centre punched and drilled them with 3 mm drill bit, marked all the cross beares on the same side and also the flatbar template is marked on one side to make sure the top side is top and right side is right before copying the holes. Used a scribe clock to centre the template on the C-chanel and clamped the template along the length, on all of the cross bearers is only one pencil mark for the 1st hole location.

Regards
Koning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2159.JPG (53.2 KB, 1719 views)
Old Wed 03 September 2008, 09:32
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Hennie
I had my share of bike falls, now I try to stay ontop of a quad bike, the wife is the driver of the Honda crf 450, I had serious facial surgery in November last year, note all the retaining plates and nails,, not because of bike fall but repair to cleft pallet and anatomical reconstruction, so yes! I do take it slow these days
Attached Images
File Type: jpg De_Beer_Jacobus2.jpg (48.5 KB, 1716 views)
Old Wed 03 September 2008, 17:19
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
Amazing scan.Do you have the 3D file of your skull ? Sorry about all that happen
Old Thu 04 September 2008, 06:10
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Hi Normand
I have this scan, and then one from the left and front view, I can actually make it rotate on various degrees, the surgery took 9 hrs, recovery 6 weeks and it was a walk in the park- no lies, good surgeon he was
Enjoy your day
Old Tue 23 September 2008, 02:36
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Welding completed

I have made progress this weekend, all welding is done and a little snag, one of the corners of the X channel was not 90 degrees, I had to cut a groove the whole length of the both channels and had it bend to the correct position, I have welded supports in the corner and multiple short runs along the cut. If all go well it will be painted this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2253.JPG (19.5 KB, 1602 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2254.JPG (19.0 KB, 1611 views)
Old Tue 23 September 2008, 11:44
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Ran into the same problem with Nils machine.
I was able to use the bolted together construction to "TOE" the machine base like an automotive suspension to the the top flanges in plane.
The channel was out 3.5 degrees. To much to depend on shimming and such.
Old Mon 10 November 2008, 05:46
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
I am back, had to go to Kazahstan for more than 2 weeks, I am happy to say that while I was away my project did not stand still, my wife arranged for sand blasting and paint primer to be done, all my goodies that I ordered from the States arrived three days before my departure to Kazahstan, the spindle and VFD (same make and model as Wayne from White Salmon) exception to PMDX 106 for spindle control also arrived while I was away.
Yes I am a happy man,
Old Mon 10 November 2008, 05:59
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
You have a great wife....mine only works in the house and do the garden....I better get that whip out again...
Old Mon 10 November 2008, 06:45
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Mine works on how to supervise and she`s getting a degree soon
Old Mon 10 November 2008, 06:56
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
"I am happy to say that while I was away my project did not stand still, my wife arranged for sand blasting and paint primer to be done"

Koning is she for sale ........... that's what I say is 'a woman worth her weight in gold' ...... I hope she is a small woman
Old Mon 10 November 2008, 07:20
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
I am impressed, not that she got the sandblasting and primer done but that she knew what sandblasting and primer actually was!
Old Tue 11 November 2008, 12:47
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Amen Heath. Mine thinks everything mechanical runs on magic dust. If I can't fix something, it's because I just don't want to. When I finished my MM, her comment was, "Well isn't that nice."
Old Tue 11 November 2008, 20:41
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Let your wife post something on the work that she did on the thread just for the other half.
Old Sat 15 November 2008, 20:21
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
Doug,

How is it we are married to the same woman?

I have been together with my wife almost 30 years. The other day, I was up to my ears in a repair job and I asked her to please grab a tool for me that I set on my table saw. She asked me which one was the table saw. After 30 years, I simply couldn't believe it.
Old Sat 15 November 2008, 20:55
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Marc, can you name every container on her dressing table? After 30 years?
Old Sat 15 November 2008, 23:29
gmessler
Just call me: Greg #15

Chicago IL
United States of America
I know I'D be hard pressed to name some of the items in my wife's dressing room. She does however do a great job understanding all my crazy tool obsessions.

Probably a good thing that the women aren't reading these posts or I'm sure there would be a few here destined for a night in the dog house.
Old Sun 16 November 2008, 23:36
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
She is an excellent all-rounder

Elbie has always been interested with what men do to keep themselves busy, Fashion designer and fitness trainer by profession; she would rather ride her Honda CRF 450 than be at a tea party.
The grey color is the primer paint, she painted the bolts and also the …… springs, she helped to assemble the table, the base is now leveled (used a water tube level method) and square,
inside box.jpg

outside.jpg

springs.jpg

elbie aanmekaar .jpg

level.jpg

op sy plek.jpg

mechmate 001.jpg
Old Sun 16 November 2008, 23:55
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Looks good! Are you assembling it on a balcony? Like the fabricated channel on the one side
Old Mon 17 November 2008, 00:26
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Thank you Gerald, the fabricated channel refer back to post #14, location is a "stoep" unfortunately will the MM be outside exposed to high temperatures and humidity in summer
Old Mon 17 November 2008, 00:51
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Aah, now I understand where that cut/bend/brace was happening!

For the high rust environment, I cannot recommend the acrylic filler too highly. That detail in post #14 is crying out to get the filler, to keep the moisture out. See post #4 of:
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484

Surprised that you didn't get zinc-plated bolts?
Old Tue 25 November 2008, 11:00
kaartman

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
I am familiar with Painters Mate, will bring some from the Republic, the zinck coated bolts and nuts available here is not of greatest quality and I would have painted that aswell.
I have started with the control box lay out, obviously more questions will be posted about the electrics.
Ragards

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read