MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 25 November 2019, 08:37
leweekend
Just call me: David A

Brittany
France
Looking at Stepper Motors

Hi, I may be starting the wrong way around, but I am looking at getting the power supply, steppers and drivers initially. I am leaning towards a direct drive, maybe with a gear reduction. It seems over the years a variety of motors have been used. Can I ask what people would recommend. The table will be to support 8x4 sheets and I would expect to put quite a bit on MDF through it. Any help or views appreciated. I am based in the UK.
Old Tue 26 November 2019, 05:07
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
There is nothing wrong with starting with the control box and steppers. Many, including me, even complete the so called "kitchen table" project. This is a way to ensure that you can "move" and control the steppers using your computer before making the investment in the table.

As for your question regarding "which steppers", this is a complex issue. 11 years ago, when I was building, the strong recommendation was to use the Oriental Motors geared steppers and Gecko drivers. They were expensive but reported results were excellent. I have no regrets. Mine are still working. Now to be fair, I use my MechMate for hobby purposes only, not production.

If I were building today, I would check out the Acorn and ClearPath setup illustrated in this thread.

Your best bet is to thoroughly investigate the options by reading the experiences of others in the FORUM. Once you've started narrowing down the options, look at sourcing. Your results will vary depending on which country you source from/to.

Please keep us posted on your results. Pictures are especially helpful.
Old Thu 28 November 2019, 19:29
DocTanner
Just call me: Don Ross

Blue Ridge, Texas
United States of America
Leweekend,

I used the Oriental geared motors with Geckos
https://catalog.orientalmotor.com/it...pk296a1a-sg7-2
Still running. I did replaced one due to a lightning strike.

DocTanner aka Don Ross

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read