MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 03 April 2011, 05:57
southernduckie
Just call me: Andrew (Duckie)

new south wales
Australia
Making Progress Huge Control Panel! - New South Wales AUS

Hello,

Being a member since September 2009 I have finally made a start on my mechmate its looking as it will be a 1850x 3450?x 350 table with 3:1 belt drive reduction with indexer (inspired by Jobus Koubert thank you)and a section at that end where i can over run the table to do end on work, finish date hopefully late 2012.
I digress some of my electronics arrived
Smooth stepper,
PMDX 126
2x PMDX 133
Geckos and motors next, pics to come when i get my file size down looking at the manuals shows just how little i really know, building it will be the easy part driving it however?

A bit of background about myself,
I'm 32 and a bit years dumb
I grew up in a rural area and can thank my father for my average welding skills.
I'm a licensed Electrician who hates work
I recently joined the Royal Australian Navy as a Avionics Tec (still training, explains the lack of funds at the moment)
And (if that's not enough)i have a wife who is 30 weeks pregnant and a 3 year old son who means the world to me wouldn't change a thing.
Old Sun 03 April 2011, 08:11
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Welcome! Great to see another fellow lazy soul taking the dive
I would suggest you finish-off the steel fabrication before your 2nd child arrive. It can be taxing on physically & mentally taking care of the new born & the steel construction all at once.
The electronics & electrical works are never physical...

Also, the steel works is the cheapest part of the whole build. Without the rack, its only about 20% of the total cost...
Old Sun 03 April 2011, 09:05
HomeMadeCnc
Just call me: Tim

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Besides your kids, it the best project you'll ever build. Keep going. . . .

Tim
Old Sun 03 April 2011, 21:41
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Duckie!
Old Mon 04 April 2011, 12:44
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome !!! Keep us posted on your progress !!!
Old Wed 06 April 2011, 04:19
Jayson
Just call me: Jayson #18

Horsham
Australia
Welcome and good luck with the build, although if you read enough here luck will have little to do with a great machine once finished.
Old Wed 06 April 2011, 04:43
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Jayson! What have you been doing for the last few months?
Old Wed 06 April 2011, 14:41
revved_up
Just call me: Craig

Hartland, MI
United States of America
I understand completely Duckie, Ive been a member since Jan 2008 and have all the electronics and the laser cut parts still havent started to build, however its looking to be soon.
Old Fri 08 April 2011, 22:37
aussie_mick
Just call me: Mick

Nowra
Australia
Welcome

Welcome Duckie.

So you joined the RAN. Been There done that. 15 years as a Avioincs Tech. Got out 7 years ago. Are you still at Wagga or have you moved to Nowra.

I am in Nowra and have a small CNC machine as well as a laser engraver. Looking to build a MM this year. Also have a guy in Nowra who has built several CNC machines.

If you need any help drop us a line.

Cheers, Michael
Old Mon 11 April 2011, 23:56
southernduckie

new south wales
Australia
Hello everyone,
Thank you everyone for your words of support, I'm sure I will ask many questions as this project moves along.....many on the use of mach3....
Old Wed 25 May 2011, 04:58
southernduckie

new south wales
Australia
Cheers all for the support

I haven't posted for a while so here we go,
Thankyou for the support and encouragement. I have been busy buying more electrical parts, forgot to mention before that i got
1 x PMDX 107 speed controller
1 x PMDX 108 Relay output board
pleased to say i've orderd 5 x motion king 34hs9801 stepper motors will arrive next week and power supply bits are starting to arrive to
Im having 2 weeks off soon for the birth of my next child due 4th June but i hope to post pictures of my parts then as they are mounted up on a tempoary board for testing and to get my head arround mach3, can't wait to buy the Gecko 203V's
Michael i sent you a PM, hope to catch up and hopefully get some pointers from yourself and your friend if he is willing (im down your way a fair bit for weekends, its only 5 hours from Wagga Waggathe things i do) I'll move there for work in 12 months when i finish my training when the fun bit hopefully starts.
Old Wed 25 May 2011, 18:22
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi Duckie

You have made a good start on the electronics, so all the best with your adventure into CNC technology.
Many other Australians are currently building or have built machines, so don't be shy to ask for suppliers of any parts you might find difficult (or expensive!) to source.

Regards
Ross
Old Mon 30 May 2011, 06:23
southernduckie

new south wales
Australia
pictures

excited this is the progress so far,
motors look really well made. the invoice they sent to customs was bogus at ($100 usd for elvaluation) i remember someone (might be Kobus Joubert) had problems with this, if you want some you might need to let the supplier know to include true costs if you order and wish to advoid problems.

Now to decide what drivers to use there are big savings to be had by not using Gecko drives?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0397.JPG (262.5 KB, 1184 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0398.JPG (237.4 KB, 1182 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0401.JPG (242.3 KB, 1180 views)
Old Mon 30 May 2011, 06:39
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Wow! your electronics looks so complex.
Old Mon 30 May 2011, 06:59
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Yea, what are all those other little boards for ?
Old Mon 30 May 2011, 08:10
jasoncarter
Just call me: Jason #82

Arkansas
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernduckie View Post
Now to decide what drivers to use there are big savings to be had by not using Gecko drives?
If you were considering non-gecko drives why did you buy 2 of the gecko specific interface boards (pmdx-133)? If you are going to use those boards you will need G201X or G203V drives.
Old Mon 30 May 2011, 14:07
southernduckie

new south wales
Australia
pmdx 133 boards

Hello,

When i first started this project i read lots on this forum or so i thought after a sugestion by another member on this forum i have been looking into other drives and the price difference is huge so the PMDX 133 boards were bought before i got quoted some other drivers and i may end up selling or storing for future use depending on drive choice.

The electronics is not that huge the bob is the big flat board on the bottom, there is a little board stacked on top this is the smooth stepper, there is a vertical board neer the smoothstepper this is the pmdx 107(spindle control) and last is the vertical board on its own is the pmdx108 relay output this control cabnet is being set up for upto 6 axis so all outputs on the bob are assigned to steppers

I think i am the first to use the PMDX 126? any other uses out there?
Old Sat 11 June 2011, 06:03
southernduckie

new south wales
Australia
mechmate on short term hold

I've been busy in the last few days and here is the result a new baby in the house but it means the mm is on hold for a few weeks but on a good note after tax time (June-July) my funds are getting a serious boost of money so progress will continue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby.jpg (131.1 KB, 1040 views)
Old Sat 11 June 2011, 06:09
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Congratulations! MM#5 was put on hold for arrival of our #2 baby too! It's good times.
Old Sat 11 June 2011, 08:30
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Congrats on your new addition !!!
Old Sat 11 June 2011, 09:33
bolingerbe
Just call me: Bryan #54

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Congratuations..
Old Sat 11 June 2011, 09:44
zumergido
Just call me: Fernando

BS AS
Argentina
another child will have nice toys and stuff tnks to MM...well done..
Old Sat 11 June 2011, 10:02
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I've been busy in the last few days ................. he said...
Maybe the last few months...
Congrats

Where are you in NSW. My brother-in-law is moving to Leeton from Sydney

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Sat 11 June 2011 at 10:05..
Old Sat 11 June 2011, 10:07
beckj
Just call me: Jim

Sugar Land, Texas
United States of America
Congratulations to you and your wife!!

My last son (No.#4 of 4) just left the nest. The funny part was he got a job running a CNC abrasive water jet at a manufacturing company.
Old Sat 11 June 2011, 10:24
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Nice family, well done all of you!
Old Sat 11 June 2011, 17:08
southernduckie

new south wales
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobus_Joubert View Post
I've been busy in the last few days ................. he said...
Maybe the last few months...
Congrats

Where are you in NSW. My brother-in-law is moving to Leeton from Sydney
Hi Kobus,

leeton is about 1.5 hours west of wagga. Wagga would be the largest town from leeton (probably comes to do the big shopping once a month). Sydney ,I'ive lived there done that, moved out and happy now.
Old Sat 11 June 2011, 18:50
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Congratulations !!!

Tony.
Old Sat 11 June 2011, 21:20
aussie_mick
Just call me: Mick

Nowra
Australia
Duckie

Congrats on the new addition to the household. Let me know next time your down in Nowra so we can meet.

mick
Old Sat 11 June 2011, 22:34
delco
Just call me: Daniel

NSW
Australia
Congrats mate , having just ourselves 4 months ago I know how happy you must be feeling at the moment.
I still have a smile from ear to ear 4 months later.
Old Sun 12 June 2011, 22:42
southernduckie

new south wales
Australia
Thanks to all

Thanks everyone for your kind words,

Mick I will let u know soon.
This baby is my second child i have a son Alex who is 3 at the moment, I must have a bad memory as i thought it was easer than this the first time?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read