MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Archives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Tue 04 March 2008, 21:59
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
What happens IF this site disappears!!

Good Morning Gerald,

For us guy's that will be taking a little longer in building our MM I have a concern. What happens IF something happens too you, or your server. Is there any way that we can get ALL the information that is available on the forum on a CD / DVD. I know it grows every day, but it would be nice to have a BACKUP so that we at least have something when the pawpaw hits the fan.
Old Tue 04 March 2008, 22:16
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
What a pleasant thought to start the day with! My demise . . .

Sorry, you'll have to figure out your own way of backing up the info. A DVD would be stale within a day.
Old Wed 05 March 2008, 03:58
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Hmmmm, I am shocked and even a little disturbed that this comment came into the forum today.
I assume that the intentions for information backup and availability is pure, but - really?
Old Wed 05 March 2008, 06:14
revved_up
Just call me: Craig

Hartland, MI
United States of America
I was more worried that Gerald would tire of the same questions asked over and over and pull the plug but this forum is so active Gerald is 120% correct in that by the time you burned the disc it would be time to burn another.
Old Wed 05 March 2008, 06:22
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Heck, I was just amused that this discussion was in the download thread.

If I get tagged by the proverbial beer truck, I hope to get uploaded, like pictures. Sorry, back to work.
Old Wed 05 March 2008, 06:45
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I wonder if an ISP minds who pays their bill? You guys can pass the hat around and let www.lexiconn.com keep on hosting the site? Speak to Rob - tell him this post says it is okay!
Old Wed 05 March 2008, 07:39
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gerald,

I for one appreciate not only your efforts with regards to the design, drawings and your technical advise on all parts of the machine but also that you host this forum WITHOUT any advertising. Your only request has been that we put your machine name on the machine.

Thank you.

Nils
Old Wed 05 March 2008, 07:41
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
I too thank you for all your work and responses.

Heath.
Old Wed 05 March 2008, 08:22
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
There was one more stipulation... Blue paint. I believe it is a real requirement and therefore will absolutely honor it. Some don't seem to recognize that stipulation. I thought it was clear.

Kobus point, I believe, wasn't meant to create an issue. I believe that he recognizes his limitations and is fully aware that if he gets halfway done and something happens to this fantastic forum - he will be in immediate trouble. Sean, you have been around CNC for years and therefore read that post from a different perspective.

I am certainly not trying to start something here either. I just think that it should not be that hard to empathize. What is required is that we continue to try to help Gerald and give back where we can.
Old Wed 05 March 2008, 08:35
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Marc

You are right about the Blue Paint and thank you for reminding me.
Old Wed 05 March 2008, 08:58
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I don't think Kobus was being morbid at all. He might be aware that some forums do have an export facility whereby a DVD can be created for off-line viewing (as static html pages). The last time I looked, this vBulletin software (of this forum) does not offer it. But I might be looking in the wrong places, or searching with the wrong keywords.

If you guys want to thank me and keep me happy . . . . . build machines! Have you noticed I get grumpy when nobody seems to be getting their hands dirty and all I get is questions from the armchair brigade?
Old Wed 05 March 2008, 09:09
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
It is a wise Gerald that knows how to motivate his troops!
Old Wed 05 March 2008, 10:05
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Does my machine "getting dirty" qualify?
Old Wed 05 March 2008, 10:31
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Dirty machines, flying sawdust, grinding sparks, even some smoke for excitement! All good.
Old Wed 05 March 2008, 10:39
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I think complying with Gerald's simple requests is the least all of us can do. Thanks again Gerald. One last stipulation; the logo has to be in the correct font.

Even if the DVD\CD was quickly out of date, it would still contain all of the information you would need to build your machine. Several of us have already done it.

Sorry I haven't been contributing much lately. I've been working on my dust collection system and working a lot of weekends at my job. Will post pictures soon. I still read the forum several times a day. Old habits are hard to break.
Old Wed 05 March 2008, 10:43
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Dirty machines, flying sawdust, grinding sparks, even some smoke for excitement! All good.
Watching paint dry. Weather is too cold for applying top coat (high in the low 50's F). But, Saturday is supposed to be in the 70's (deg F).
Old Wed 05 March 2008, 21:50
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Wow, A simple question and so many reactions. Just showing that everybody is different, and interpret things differently.

I know computers and I know how important a BACKUP is. A little OLD information is better than NOTHING.

Thanks Marc, Doug and Gerald for the positive comments.
I know that the latest ideas will not be on the CD/DVD, but like Doug pointed out.....the basics will be available....the tweaking and nice to haves will be lost.

Keep on Building
Old Wed 05 March 2008, 22:48
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Some tips that some of you might not be aware of:

At the top of the page there is a "Thread Tools" button - there is nice facility for printing out a thread.

If there are certain posters who you feel will use up too much ink, you can put them on your ignore list and speed up the printing.
Old Thu 06 March 2008, 08:03
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
You could also print them to PDF documents for archiving on your hard drive as well. Then you could look at them offline in pdf format or print them at your leisure later. Great for web pages too.

Heath.
Old Thu 13 March 2008, 16:14
WTI
Just call me: James

Detroit (Michigan)
United States of America
Let's make a plan now, if G vanishes, we all meet at CNCzone.com and create a MM group in his honor.

The Way Back Machine has been archiving the web for years:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.mechmate.com

It takes about 6 months for the next update to appear.

I have this entire site backed up on DVD. I won't broadcast how to do it, as I'm sure G does not want everyone using up all his bandwidth, but if something tragic happens, we can make copies for each other or do a bittorrent.

Last edited by WTI; Thu 13 March 2008 at 16:15.. Reason: I spell like a girl.
Closed Thread

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read