MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Rails & Rollers
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 10 July 2013, 19:11
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
Rail wear after 1 year

My machine does not work very hard (half dozen hours a week), but after a year or so I've noticed a sharp lip on the rails at the bottom of the vee (i.e. where the vee meets the vertical wall of the rail) - like the burr you get on a knife edge if you over sharpen one side.

I'm assuming that this is wear from the hard wheels pushing down on imperfectly angled vee rails. Can I harden the rails by blow torching them? Is the wear likely to progress to the point where the wheels pinch? Any ideas or recommendations?
Old Wed 10 July 2013, 23:18
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
We also got that sharp ridge. After keeping an eye on it for a while, to see if it got out of hand, we decided that everything was stable and then just left it alone.

You can only harden steel if it has enough carbon in it. The carbon content of plain angle iron is too low to harden.
Old Thu 11 July 2013, 23:25
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
My current CNC (not a MM) uses the same principle and has those ridges too. The wear seems to stop after a while and settle down. Unless it starts introducing errors into your work I wouldn't worry about it, generally is just means the angle is settling into the trafic it has across it.

Cheers
Bruce
Old Wed 24 July 2013, 20:27
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
Thank you for the responses. Leave well enough alone, then
Old Wed 24 July 2013, 22:36
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Mine has the same thing.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read