MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Thu 13 December 2007, 11:57
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Sean,
Yes I like the twist lock style connectors for mains wiring as well. I just meant that for the mains voltage the xlrs were not my first choice but would be fine for the stepper connections! The twist lock connectors offer a much higher voltage rating which is perfect for 120V or 240V and lots of current capability.
Old Sun 16 December 2007, 13:42
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
We have power!

..I should have learned from Doug. Yep, As you can see from the attached photo I finally have all the electronics up and running and debugged. It would have all worked if I had read Doug's post closer and realized that the a1/a2 coil contacts are not labeled on the EIC CN22 contactor's. I had the system wired to the wrong contacts and had no coil activity for 2 days. I spent the better part of friday night tracing every wire against my schematic and all matched. It wasn't until I decided to just hot wire the coil for some activity when I noticed that I wasn't pulling in the coil. Long story short - NOTE the location of the coil connections early on on your relay's. In my 20 years of wiring these things have I never been so dumbfounded over a really fundamental wiring error. All wiring working. XLR's worked really well. Mach 3 talking well to all the drives. All drives responding under Jog. All motors moving in jog mode. Next step is to route printer cable and finish dressing the interior of the Control cabinet.
Hopefully, I will start the rails and welding the x & y components on Wednesday.
mach3_cabinet_1.jpg
Old Sun 16 December 2007, 16:49
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Congratulations on your progress!!! Those terminals are easy to miss. Sorry you wasted so much time but I'm glad to know I'm not the only guy to miss seeing them.
Old Sun 16 December 2007, 19:57
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Sean,

That's nothing (mis-wiring). I haven't documented 1/2 of my mistakes.

Your progress is looking good.
Old Sat 22 December 2007, 05:28
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
I have a question, what is the feeling about the reliability of computer 9 pin serial connectors where the wire from the driver and motor pigtail connect?
Old Sat 22 December 2007, 05:58
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
J.R.,
If I've read your post correctly, you're thinking of using DB-9 connectors at the motor to connect the motors to the wiring that goes to the stepper drivers. If that is what you're asking, don't do it. The DB-9 (and DB-25, DB36, DB-50) connectors was designed to just carry a few milliamps of current. Although that connector can handle more current, at first, eventually the contacts will erode, connections will become erratic, and you'll be one of many who spend their days and nights talking to themselves in a padded room. Maybe that's just a little extreme, but I've worked on a lot of equipment from Lucht Engineering and from Bremson Data Systems that used DB-xx connectors to carry current. Both companies redesigned their products and used heavy-duty plugs and receptacles on their second version controllers.
Old Sat 22 December 2007, 06:12
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
I'm standing at the door of that padded room as it is. I surely don't need a push. What would be the reccommended 4 wire connector for inline?
Old Sat 22 December 2007, 07:31
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
JR,
It's good to see you back. Usually I use the Amphenol modular backshell and crimp pin, but I had all the XLR in stock and on the shelf.
Modular pins connectors I like (in no particular order)
- Nema L series twistlocks...many configurations, great current capacity..but large in form factor. I used these for the Router and Dust collection on my box...See photo in post 92
- Amp crimp pin for the 3 to 28 pin connectors
- XLR, because they are metal and last and carry "a decent amount of current"
- Molex - if the twist connection type
- phoenix 4 and 5 pin (like the modbus and device net used on PLC networks for machine control

Don't like
Wegman 4 pin (like the shopbot once used and not anymore for many reasons)
Old Sat 22 December 2007, 11:08
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
J.R.,
I normally just use DIN terminal blocks. They are big and bulky. They are are not quick-disconnect, but, they are secure and inexpensive. I've had zero failures with DIN terminal blocks.
Old Sun 23 December 2007, 10:39
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
Check out this site for XLR connectors. Is there a better place to order? I'm thinking NC4FX and NC4MX or A4F and A4M.
http://www.markertek.com/p/fullpage.php?page=021
Old Sun 23 December 2007, 12:16
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
JR.
The Silver contacts are fine. The "gold" contact series is really for the marketing people. Nuetrik is a great choice. The modular back shell "twists" on to act as a strain relief and insulator. Good for machine work and fairly robust. I order from Markertech often, you won't be disappointed in their service. Please make sure you order some very small 3/32" or 1/8" shrink tube for the solder joints. It's easy to get a stray fiber or two in these connectors if your not really careful.
Sean
Old Mon 24 December 2007, 06:00
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
Sean, thanks for the recommendation. I ordered 10 pcs NC4FX and 10 pcs NC4MX last night and they ship today, as per e-mail confirmation. I think you are right, I'm going to like www.markertek.com , thanks again
Old Wed 26 December 2007, 10:00
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Mike,

Can you give us a link to the DIN terminal blocks you use?
Old Wed 26 December 2007, 11:37
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Doug,
I buy my DIM terminal blocks locally. You can find terminal blocks at www.factorymation.com or www.automationdirect.com. Typically, you will need the terminal blocks, rails, end-covers, end-brackets, and jumpers.

Locally, terminal blocks cost about $1.00 each. On line they cost about $0.50 each, but you have to buy them by the box.
Old Wed 26 December 2007, 13:40
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Mike,

Thanks. I misunderstood the earlier post. I thought Sean was talking about connecting the wires from the motors to the cables. I thought you were using some kind of terminal blocks for that. I get it now.

I'll try to read more closely in the future. Thanks again.
Old Fri 28 December 2007, 16:55
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
Sean, nice connectors, they came today. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Hatcher View Post
Sean, thanks for the recommendation. I ordered 10 pcs NC4FX and 10 pcs NC4MX last night and they ship today, as per e-mail confirmation. I think you are right, I'm going to like www.markertek.com , thanks again
Old Fri 28 December 2007, 19:04
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Markertek delivers quick again. The real reason I use them. Sometimes not the best price-but they have it in stock and quick delivery. Like mcmaster
Old Thu 03 January 2008, 13:14
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Shops really cold, I guess it's time to do some welding then!

...Today was a record day. 28 degrees in Orlando. With it this cold (I know it's all relative to where you live) I figured I would help warm up my unheated shop with a little welding. Y - car all welded up and off to bondo and paint.
ycar_setup.jpg

ycar-weld.jpg
Old Thu 03 January 2008, 16:54
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Looking good Sean,

Just received my hardware for mounting the V-rollers. McMaster is the best for delivery (ordered Monday, delivered today, regular ground ). Actually, they have the best prices when it comes to fastening (nuts, bolts, etc) hardware.

A couple of barley sandwiches (American for beer) after my day job and off to the shop for some fun time
Old Fri 04 January 2008, 08:30
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Sean,
Your shop sounds a lot warmer than mine. Last night it dropped to -28 C or -18.5 F for you US guys. That concrete floor gets pretty cold that way. Welding wont warm up that one. Your Y car looks good. Keep sending us the pics. How did you find the Bondo for filling in the cracks? Did you have to sand after or did you just tool it and let it set?
Old Fri 04 January 2008, 10:44
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Heath,
I only bondo'd the plug weld areas on the car. The fillet area's - for the time being - are just naked. I didn't do the caulk or bead filling. Maybe later, but the car looks pretty nice painted.
Old Fri 04 January 2008, 11:28
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Sean,
Cant wait to see what you are going to be making with the beast. More pics please
Old Fri 04 January 2008, 14:30
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...off to Home Depot...I just burned up my grinder cutting down the rails.
Old Fri 04 January 2008, 14:58
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Sean,
Are you planning on using the capped rails or using the skate method? Just wondering. I am still debating which way I will go.
Old Fri 04 January 2008, 16:00
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
I plan on only using the skate to grind the angle. I bought a SteelMax saw. It cuts through 1/4" steel like butter. Amazing. Steel isn't the slightest bit warm after the cut.
Old Fri 04 January 2008, 17:38
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
grinding is working...but require patience and a lot of time. Not to mention really dirty. Knowing what I know now, I would most likely spend the $ on the cap rail. If your building as a true DIY, the cutting and grinding method with the skate is easy and a great learning experience. Definitely worth doing it once for the experience.
My 2 cents. Sean
...lack of patience has cost me one cheap grinder. Small price for learning. I can't wait until Gerald gets back and gives me the fatherly...I told you so. LOL

Last edited by smreish; Fri 04 January 2008 at 17:42..
Old Fri 04 January 2008, 17:43
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
How many 2 cents do you think you have in the grinding of the rails if you count the cost of the jig, Grinder and your time?

I am all in for the experience but I am starting to think that I may use the cap rail approach.

You have made a lot of progress on your machine this week. I will have to stop in and give a third party progress report.
Old Fri 04 January 2008, 17:56
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Nils
I wasn't planning on doing any work on the mm. It just fit in during the few down hrs I had. Sneaking in shop time around the real work is a heck of a challenge.
Old Fri 04 January 2008, 19:08
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Sean, When you get back from your trip, I will stop by.

Seriously, how much do you think you spent grinding the rails yourself? It just seems like good way to go, buying the caps.
Old Fri 11 January 2008, 09:38
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Independent Report on Sean's Build

Sean,

Thanks for taking the time today between your work on your MM and waiting for the Baby.

First, NO Baby news.

Sean has to finish grinding the rail for the Gantry, paint the Gantry and install the Z. It will not be long before Sean will be cutting.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts