MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 08 October 2007, 20:14
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
usb to db25 parallel cable

Forum.
...as I ponder going back to the "old school" for my controller due to the less than "bullet proof" G100, I found a USB to Parallel cable so I can use my laptop on the go.

Tiger Direct.com $12.95 Completely IEEE bidirectional.

Just thought I would pass on the good find.
Sean

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1274&CatId=471
Old Tue 09 October 2007, 04:44
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
Is the typical "lack of parallel port" the only reason that a laptop is not recommended? I recall reading something, somewhere, about using laptops for machine control but I can't remember exactly what it was or where I read it.
Old Tue 09 October 2007, 08:52
Hugo Carradini
Just call me: Hugo

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
Marc, I think they don't give the 5 volt you need. They give up a lower voltage.
Old Tue 09 October 2007, 10:03
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Yep....3.3 VOLTS. But, if you use a small 20 dollar USB self powered hub between the two, you can get 5 volts regulated off the output of the hub device.

Question 1 oes the Mach software support USB to Parallel emulation? Or do I really need a bonified Parallel card to make it work.
Question 2: Can I use a USB port, with a hub so I have 2 USB to Parallel cables to drive 2 PMDX-122 boards so I can run 5 axis motors. 2x, 1y, 1z and 1 indexer?
Old Tue 09 October 2007, 10:36
driller
Just call me:

The spec for the parallel port is 3.5 volts at 3.5ma.
most desktops deliver 5 volts and more current.

Any decently designed breakout board will work with the 3v signals.

Check the Gecko. if it cannot, then you can add a transistor to get the 5 volt power.

The other reason laptops are not so highly recommended is that the newer ones do not have any parallel ports.

Dave
Old Tue 09 October 2007, 10:37
Bill McGuire
Just call me: Bill

Weiser, Idaho
United States of America
Just a thought..
Emulation software slows down instruction processing. This diminished speed may affect the way instructions are handed to the motors...
Old Tue 09 October 2007, 11:23
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Bill....my concern as well.
The really big question I have is...can I daisy chain pmdx-122 together to get 5 or 6 axis of control? I have a call into Steve at PMDX for an answer...just waiting.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sean
Old Tue 09 October 2007, 21:04
stefanv
Just call me: stefan

Port-au-Prince
Haiti
Sean,

Consider the option of hooking 2 Geckos (2x) to one out signal from your BOB. By reversing one of the leads to the motors from the second Gecko, both will move in opposite directions at the same steps, just like mirroring them in Mach3. This will free up a channel on your BOB for the indexer. Ask Steve at PMDX if this is possible with his board. It is for me with the Bob Campbell board using 2 G202s.

Good luck
Stefan
Old Wed 10 October 2007, 06:55
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Stefan,
Mr. Stallings at PMDX did confirm that I can do as you suggest and steal the steps to drive two motors. It will work - most likely without fault - for years. The only concern is that Mach can only "see" the single axis...I want the CNC logic controller to see Both motors with respect to position and faults. So, for the minor cost of an additional board and a parallel port card...all of which will be around 100 dollars, I am going with the later setup for safety and expandability. The big plus is I get extra I/0 if I add the second board!

Thanks for everyone's input. I am off to buy parts now.

Sean
Old Wed 10 October 2007, 07:58
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Mach cannot see any "position and faults" other than a limit switch - not sure what is being said here?
Old Wed 10 October 2007, 09:11
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Gerald.
You are absolutely correct. Now, I have confused myself. I have been dealing with Servo's and encoders so much lately that I forgot I am using Steppers. No memory little motor's no more sophisticated than the starter on my car. Ugh...sorry for the threads of confusion. Done. 1 board, 5 geckos, parallel porting the x axis.

Yep...sometimes the cloud over my keyboard keeps me from seeing the light.

Sean
Old Wed 10 October 2007, 09:26
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The big lesson I learnt through all of this project is that this CNC monster is much simpler and stupider than what it is hyped up to be.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read