MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 29 June 2009, 11:16
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Thumbs up On to other Cool Projects #43 - Arad, Romania

Ok, everybody I´m in....

I´m going to use my MM mostly for furniture, ornamentals, signs and of course everything else.

Today is the 1.st day. Finally I started ordering.
I hope it wont take too long until all my stuff comes because I can´t wait to see something moving or grooving.

I´ve ordered Geckos 203, PMDX 135, PMDX 122, torroid and OM PK296AE-SG7.2.
As I live in Romania I´m using metric system, I also ordered pinion and rack Module 1 with 35teeth. Gotta check out how speed and cut quality will be.

Also I sent all dxf files for the steelplates to be waterjet cut, hope they gonna look good and no holes are missing. They also do the bending on a CNC machine.

Tomorrow is another day...we´ll see.

Bye everybody
Old Mon 29 June 2009, 11:49
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
Wow it is rapid fire !!!

we need photos.
Old Tue 30 June 2009, 02:02
gixi
Just call me: Marius (AVO) #32

Bucharest
Romania
Send a message via Yahoo to gixi
Most of the people in that part of the country are well determined. It takes a while to start but after that nobody stop them ! Claudiu I forgot to tell that I was born in Sibiu .
But is hard when you depend on someone else to do something. I lost one month and half for the Z axis and perhaps today is finished . I hope…
Old Wed 01 July 2009, 02:56
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
First Part arrived

Guess what it is ?

It´s the toroidal !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toroidal.jpg (34.7 KB, 2660 views)
File Type: jpg Label-toroidal.jpg (37.3 KB, 2659 views)
Old Tue 07 July 2009, 12:17
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Lasercut and bended steel parts

Today I got the offer for all sheet metal which has to be cut and bended. Price for all sheets are 150 € which is about 180$. All sheet metal parts will be Laser cut and bended on a cnc machine. I can`t wait to see them.
The price seemed pretty fair to me.

He will also prepare the rest of metal parts for the table, the feet and the gantry.
As a professional (tooling manufacturer) he proposed the following:
- Repairing any bended or twisted beams with heat treatment.
- After straightening out he will prepare them for machining after welding another piece of full metal bar onto the beam.
- Now the whole x beam comes to a calibrating table where the surface will be machined to a even surface.
- Advantage: Much more material to work on, and not thinning down the main x beam.
- Result : perfectly straight surface for mounting the rails into a guiding groove.
The rails will also be machined from full steel profile 60 x 30.

This system will also be applied to the y rails on the gantry.

He guarantees accuracy of 0,1 mm on full length !!!

Please analyze the simple drawing I made.

As far as I have thought about this solution I think there`s no modification to the geometry or any other part.

This solution was only brought up to have the most accurate rails possible
with a minimum risk of having bends or bumps in the rails.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modified rail.jpg (20.1 KB, 2584 views)
Old Tue 07 July 2009, 12:47
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I don't see anything negative with that approach (except for cost).
Old Tue 07 July 2009, 13:01
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Machined steel parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
I don't see anything negative with that approach (except for cost).
For all other steel parts which will be machined, calibered,drilled and partly welded, including material his estimation was 1,3 € / kg.
Old Tue 07 July 2009, 21:09
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
That was his estimation, not the final price he will charge you.
Old Wed 08 July 2009, 10:43
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
New Spindle ordered

After I read a lot about waynec and his 2.2 kW watercooled Spindle, i`ve ordered one today together with the VFD.

Can`t wait to hav it here. I would like to start managing my electric diagrams for fitting this one into my MM. I think I still have to find out a lot...

Any help is welcome.

Bye
Old Fri 10 July 2009, 09:45
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
You were right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
That was his estimation, not the final price he will charge you.
You were 100% right Gerald, and the final price is 100% double.

...but quality has it`s price.

what can I say more
Old Tue 14 July 2009, 01:50
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Cable Chain has arrived

Yesterday the ordred Cable Chain / Cable Carrier arrived.
The only supplier I found (who also has on Stock) was IGUS.
I decided to take Classic Series 27, IG 27.10.100.0 for the X, IG 27.10.075.0 for the Y and fixtures IG 2610.34PZB.
This Chain is easy to open on the exterior. I chose this larger series, so I have enough spece inside to put some extra cables or hoses inside. As I´m going to use a watercooled Spindle I´m not shure yet if I´m going to mount the water rezervoir on top of the gantry or under the table.
So i think some extra space left in the Cable Chain is useful.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Serie_26_AEV0_Zeich___.gif (15.1 KB, 2469 views)
File Type: jpg Serie_26_KE_Bild___.jpg (14.7 KB, 2471 views)
Old Fri 24 July 2009, 02:21
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Good news from the customs

Today, finally I got news from the local customs that Geckos and PMDX arrived and have to clear customs. After some digging I also found out that my ordered Spindle and VFD is allready one week lying around at a local post office and nobody bothered delivering it or informing me about this. Anyway, I can now start the Kitchen Table Project.
Going to post some pics of the progress.
Old Sat 01 August 2009, 13:12
Polder48
Just call me: polder

Edam
Netherlands
Prices up 100%

Hello Claudiu,

You're at warp-speed. But you've got me puzzled.

Quote:
You were 100% right Gerald, and the final price is 100% double.

...but quality has it`s price.
Was that just voor the "laserparts", 150 € -> 300 €, or is that for you're total order?

I'll like to know what you're total price was for all metal parts and most off all, did you get what you've expected?

Keep up the good work and lot's of succes.

Cheese from Edam
Old Sun 02 August 2009, 03:38
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
got everything together ...

Hi, just wanted to keep you updated. So far all parts for the control box have arrived, I also found a suitable electric box which I`m going to use.
Also the Spindle and VFD arrived, all V \Rollers and the OM`s arrived.
I`m going to post some pics of my progres.

Regarding Polder: All laser cut parts I get for 170Euro. All steel parts for the table and the gantry I got an estimate of 1,3 Euros but after all modifications I made ( which u can see in the threads above) he charged me about double for machining everything. Now I will pay about 1300 Euro for the job.
Unfortunately he will deliver a good job as he is in the machine and building business. He has lots of work and said mine will be finished in about 3 weeks.

Anyway I`m going on vacation with my family so by the time I`m back everything will be ready for assembling,....yeah !!!
Old Mon 31 August 2009, 03:48
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Some News

Hello everybody,

I´m back in action after a nice holyday spent with family at the Sea.
After I came back I found out that all ordered parts for my table are still not ready.
Anyway I did not loose time so I worked on the kitchen table part which you can see in the attached photos.
So far I have energy on all components besides BOB. He will get his current soon when I set up the Computer. Please comment errors I made, so I can fix them before I fry things up!

I had some time studying plans during my holyday (of course I took my laptop) and I have to say that with each day understanding more and more drawings and explanations my admiration for Gerald grew from a lot to incredimuch
Gerald thank you for making this possible with your knowledge and thank you guys for supporting and keeping up this Site. Respect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Control box big.jpg (52.6 KB, 2205 views)
File Type: jpg PMDX.jpg (76.9 KB, 2206 views)
File Type: jpg Gecko.jpg (44.0 KB, 2189 views)
Old Mon 31 August 2009, 03:55
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
OW you powered it without connecting the motor's, the 203V is so forgivable!
Old Mon 31 August 2009, 05:00
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
All the Gecko's can be powered without having motors connected, but you must not connect/disconnect motors while there is power supplied. Also, you must not connect/disconnect the power supply between the gecko and the capacitor.
Old Mon 31 August 2009, 05:14
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
AND, if you power up the power supply without the Gecko's attached (to test the power supply, for instance), be SURE to discharge the capacitors of the power supply BEFORE connecting the Gecko's.

I know this has been said before, but I think it needs to be said OFTEN.

When the Gecko's are attached, they very quickly drain the capacitors once the power supply is turned off. However, without Gecko's attached, there is NO DRAIN and the capacitors will stay charged for hours. If the capacitors are charged, even though the power supply is turned off, and you connect the Gecko's (with the capacitors charged) this is just like putting a switch between the Gecko's and the power supply, which is a NO-NO just like Gerald said.
Old Mon 31 August 2009, 07:54
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
No problem...

I was just checking the main circuit with Power Supply, Geckos and Box Vent.
Even BOB was not connected yet at that time.
So tomorrow will be the Day when I first try to see the Motors turn. (At least I hope so)
Everything is hooked up by now, BOB got 5V, the fan under the Gecko´s got 12V, the OM are hooked up in Unipolar Connection. I just have to fit in tomorrow the little Rezistors 65 kOhms into the Gecko´s to limit their current and then let´s see what happens...
By the way one question. On the OM´s they say max 3A, but in the Forum we are talking of max 4A ! Is that ok like this,....just checking.

And of course I will post a brand new pic of my complete setup....

keep in touch !
Old Mon 31 August 2009, 08:00
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Please dont scare me...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by javeria View Post
OW you powered it .....
When I read " OW " in your comment, I immediately thought I had burnt something up!!! In a matter of a fraction of a second I had all kinds of catastrofic scenarios ... please dont scare newbies.
Old Mon 31 August 2009, 08:16
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
- somewhere I mentioned I was a dummy still!
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 06:40
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Motors mooving today

Hi guys,

I managed to hook up the OM´s and limited current from te Gecko´s to about 2,5A (to be sure nothing fries up).
After loading Roadrunner into Mach, I started the Procedure and o course nothing happend, no moovement in the motors! I guess it´s Murphy´s Law !!!:
Then I started reconfiguring BOB´s Jumpers and did some settings in Mach and they really started to turn. Incredible to them mooving, and even X1 and X2 are turning into opposite directions. Great!
My only concern was the amplitude of the turns, running the roadrunner x motors turned maximum 1/4 of a turn for a whole drawing.
Is that Roadrunner really so small?
Do I have to set up something else?
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 07:11
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Road runner is in inches
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 07:13
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Oops, I forgot . . . .

Congratulations on the motor movement!
Old Thu 03 September 2009, 07:32
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Some little more Progres.

Today I hooked up the Huanyang VFD and the NoName Chinese Spindle(Fortune Cookie). I also did all the Setup before starting up the Spindle explained in this Forum.
I like the Spindle because it´s quiet.
After trying from 1500 RPM, I increased to 3000, ... up to its full Speed. Of course everything went stepwise, letting everything to warm up. Even full Speed the Sound was quiet and no Vibrations were sensed on the Spindle.

I would like to Control the VFD through MACH, so if you have any experience please provide info, I´ll be glad not to have to fumble everytime programming the VFD.

Now I got to find me a decent cooling system.

Bye to everyone.

Last edited by Claudiu; Thu 03 September 2009 at 07:52..
Old Thu 03 September 2009, 07:51
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Claus,

It is always exciting to see the monster take life.

I finished my Controller box and I did not put power to for 3 days because I was concerned that I would burn some thing. When I did put power to it, I had a jumper on the BOB set incorrectly and I had wiring for on/off switch reversed.

It is even more fun once you start cutting different things.

Congratulations on your progress.
Old Thu 03 September 2009, 15:09
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Thank you, guys...

I will start welding the Y Car from tomorrow. Unfortunately table parts are still not ready, what makes me feel uncomfortable.
Anyway, the Y Car is the only thing I can work on for now, so that will be my next victim.
Old Wed 09 September 2009, 07:30
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Welding started...

Hi everybody,

Let´s start from the beginning...
Here are all Lasercut Parts which came in a pretty good condition and quality.
There was only two parts, 10 30 450 and 10 30 455 which were redone due to wrong drilling and poor steel quality. I had left them in the shop and they were replaced afterwards. Also 10 30 422 came double, so in fact I have to plan the next MM ...
As you will see in the pics I had ordered two Sets, one I delivered to Zoran from Zagreb when I went on holyday in Kroatia.

The bending was a little tricky, the first Spider bending they had used a wrong Prism and the whole thing was not in any correct dimension after the process.
They had to order a new Spiderplate. I think they learned and ordered directly two pieces in case that it happens again....and they were right. They did it wrong again!!!
At least they managed to bend me one final Spiderplate which was ok.

I have to say that I´m not a good welder but I´m trying hard to learn.
I started with the Spiderplate and the motormount. After aligning everything I saw that one bending was still offset by two mm which meant that I had to rework the contact surface between motormount and Spider... I hope this is ok with you Gerald, I didn´t want to change anything but I considered this a way of correcting little misshaps and by the way I did not want to order a new Spider!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lasercut parts.jpg (58.1 KB, 2042 views)
File Type: jpg double kit lasercut.jpg (58.1 KB, 2043 views)
File Type: jpg Bending first.jpg (55.2 KB, 2020 views)
File Type: jpg malposition on spider.jpg (44.9 KB, 2014 views)
File Type: jpg malposition spider front.jpg (36.5 KB, 1998 views)
File Type: jpg missalignment top.jpg (40.8 KB, 1992 views)
Old Wed 09 September 2009, 07:50
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Welding of the Y Car and Spider

Ok,.. I´m going to show you some pics of my actual progress, but please as I have stated in the previous post I´m not a good welder. I think I will be by the time I finish the Project, and then I´ll be ready for a new one....

I used some taped hexagons on the backside of the Spider to be prepared for a aspiration system.
All parts of the Car were bent ok and fittet well into another. They were so tight that i could turn the car and handle it without falling apart.
So i welded everything in order after Gerald´s plans and here´s the result.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spider weld1.jpg (50.5 KB, 1986 views)
File Type: jpg cargantry.jpg (51.6 KB, 1979 views)
File Type: jpg Car1.jpg (45.7 KB, 1977 views)
File Type: jpg car diag ass.jpg (51.0 KB, 1969 views)
File Type: jpg car front.jpg (52.6 KB, 1970 views)
File Type: jpg car lateral ass.jpg (48.7 KB, 1944 views)
File Type: jpg car top.jpg (47.4 KB, 1944 views)
Old Wed 09 September 2009, 08:06
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Nice work Claus. I think your welds look rather good.

I used a grinder and caulk to cover my less than professional welding job.

Thank you for sharing your progress. Keep up the good work and keep sharing your progress and pictures.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read