MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 11 April 2016, 15:04
james burrus
Just call me: james

new jersey
United States of America
The plans you get

The plans you get did you give any details for size machine 5 x 10 and what electronics are motors to use i'm a full-time cabinetmaker and I hate started it and not finish it , they want way too much for the techno our shop bot i'd like to get started but I like to know what information the plans come with I need help i'm very busy with my job but I can spare some time to get started
Old Mon 11 April 2016, 21:10
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Welcome aboard James. The plans have the formula to determine build sizes for whatever size machine you'd like. As far as motors, Metalhead sells a package, or there are other options listed in the forum.
Old Tue 12 April 2016, 05:25
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Just let me know what you need. Once you decide on your size, the forum provides a wealth of knowledge on building the machine. I have sets that will make the electrics very straight forward.
Old Tue 12 April 2016, 07:07
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
The calculations on size are exact in the plans, but think add about 2' to the X and to the Y for floor space calculations, and add some room to work around AT LEAST 2 sides, preferably 3 or 4. Most folks make it 'end load' (the short way across rectangular shape), but there are those that have done the 'long way'. The difference is the length of the traveling trolley, longer makes it heavier and the bending force component is proportionately larger.

Whatever you choose, I suggest reading the forums, and read more till you get sick of it. If you still are 'in', purchase the plans. Then study, read more, and ask questions, before plunking down your cash. It increases your chance for success to do the study up front before purchasing more.

Enjoy!
Old Tue 12 April 2016, 07:36
hflwaterski
Just call me: Herb #126

Genesee, WI
United States of America
Welcome James! My observations coming from a person who recently finished a MechMate build, unless you are doing something radically different design-wise, there are really very, very few questions that haven't been covered in detail. It's all there but sometimes it takes a bit of digging. It does take quite a bit of homework and research to minimize the spend and potentially save time down the road. I was on the opposite end and it took me a really...REALLY, long time to finish mine. KornerKing is an exception on how fast you can build a machine but I suspect he'd been lurking and studying for quite a while before diving in. Good luck with your build if you choose to go forward!
Old Tue 12 April 2016, 15:30
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
KornerKing also had almost all the parts on hand before committing. A huge timesaver.
Old Wed 13 April 2016, 05:33
Kornerking
Just call me: Pete #127

Big Falls, Mn
United States of America
James, it only looks scary for a short while. As you progress with the build it all starts to fit together.
I was like you. Busy, busy , busy. Then I got fed up with employees who wouldn't show up for work and vendors who took forever to deliver components. Last December we made the commitment to go ahead and started buying materials. I had bought the electronics from Darren a year prior so I had them already. I had browsed the forum prior to this time but hadn't really studied it.
Starting Feb 10, we approached it like a kitchen build. We made it another job going through our shop. Using the plans and the forum as a guideline, we built each section of the machine. That way it didn't overwhelm us. Bottom line is we completed our mechmate in about 150 man hours. It is cutting everyday, and has already started paying back its investment of around 7,000, and we should see a full payback in a few months.
As an added bonus we have been able to remove a lot of single use machines and de-clutter our shop.
If you are busy don't waste your time trying to save a few bucks by scrounging around for materials. Your time is worth more building your machine. Find a good steel company and buy your steel. Buy the kit from Mike (Metalhead). Use Mcmaster Carr for things like cable chain, gas shocks, rack and pinion, etc. Fast service and I guess ok pricing.
Oh, and you may as well buy your blue paint.

The 7,000 did not include our metal working equipment. Welder, chopsaw, etc.

Last edited by Kornerking; Wed 13 April 2016 at 05:36..

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read