MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 03 September 2010, 10:15
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
A guy is out trying to make a buck by delivering 1700 1/8" thick circles and his thread gets high jacked.

Rocky eating steak tonight? Glad to hear your wife got missed and Rocky is doing well. That is one great dog you got there.

Yes, the pucker factor, setting up the file in the right place and being sure you don't have a brain skip (fart). They are what kill you. I check my location lots of times before starting. Also to be sure the file I want to cut will fit in the material that is sitting on the table.
Old Fri 03 September 2010, 10:29
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Sorry Nils.

I'm at the computer designing promotional items this morning and the MM thread reply keeps popping up.

Yea, Rocky's pretty cool. We've got 4 dogs and they are a cast of characters. I wonder some times, who owns who.

Glad someone is making a buck. I better get back to work.
Old Fri 03 September 2010, 10:33
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Greg,

I do not mind you guys using my thread. Come up with any great ideas to get more business, I am interested in hearing about it.

I think I came out even. Destroyed some bits in the process of doing the job. Those small pieces get jammed and that is all it takes and your are installing a new bit.

Last edited by sailfl; Fri 03 September 2010 at 10:47..
Old Fri 03 September 2010, 12:21
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Nils,

When I find something that works and brings in customers, you'll be the first to know.
Old Fri 03 September 2010, 20:53
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
I always fear the tabs will break during cuts & ruin job due to the job shifted from its position or waste pieces get in the way of the bit & cause loss steps... the worst night mare...
Old Mon 06 September 2010, 12:25
liaoh75
Just call me: David

Taibao
Taiwan
That's a beautiful sign. Can you take a picture of the bit you used to cut that 2" acrylic?

Last edited by liaoh75; Mon 06 September 2010 at 12:28..
Old Mon 06 September 2010, 12:33
liaoh75
Just call me: David

Taibao
Taiwan
Nils, I hate to say it, but I just priced the same piece of acrylic here in Taiwan and I got a quote from my supplier for about $350 US for each piece. The price per cubic inch must be sky high over there!!!!
Old Mon 06 September 2010, 13:39
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
David,

The general contractor bought the material so I didn't have to be concerned with the price. I just didn't want to screw it up and have to buy one also.
Old Tue 19 October 2010, 04:06
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Roberto Cavalli Sign Update

I recently learned from the contractor that hired me to cut the 2" Acrylic for the sign, that a Vice President for the Roberto Cavalli Corporation in New York told them that my letters were the best letters that they have ever had done for a store.

I was very pleased to hear that because it means my abilities are of a high quality. But it also means that the machine that Gerald designed is competitive with other CNC machines that are available and cuts better than most.

Thanks Gerald for sharing your design.
Old Tue 19 October 2010, 04:47
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Nils, my drawings were only a guide, and do not guarantee that you will get a good cut. . . . . . as you found in the beginning. You must give yourself the credit for really getting stuck in and tweaking your machine until it gave that high quality.
Old Tue 19 October 2010, 05:49
mrghm
Just call me: Gareth

Syd
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfl View Post
I recently learned from the contractor that hired me to cut the 2" Acrylic for the sign, that a Vice President for the Roberto Cavalli Corporation in New York told them that my letters were the best letters that they have ever had done for a store.

I was very pleased to hear that because it means my abilities are of a high quality. But it also means that the machine that Gerald designed is competitive with other CNC machines that are available and cuts better than most.

Thanks Gerald for sharing your design.
Good work.

i would chase up Roberto Cavalli HQ and try to become a nominate suppiler meaning that any GC will need to order there signs from you.
Old Tue 19 October 2010, 06:29
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Nils,

Looking back, your rough cut was done with a 1/2" Bit at 150 IPM.

If you don't mind, would you share your finishing pass information. Also, whats the allowance (how much did you "skim" cut) on the finish pass?

Thanks,

P.S. - Still working on the marketing aspects. Nothing worth sharing yet. Your doing the best marketing anyways, high quality work. Keep up the good work.
Old Tue 19 October 2010, 08:57
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Nils,
I second the RCHQ followup. A letter and pricing schedule with availability times. You would get the defacto order.

GOOD LUCK - I know how hard you worked on getting that machine cutting beyond perfect.

Sean
Old Tue 19 October 2010, 12:52
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gerald,

The quality of the macine may of come from my efforts but the quality had the basis in an excellent design and lots of quidance.

Thanks for the comments from all.

Greg J, I will get back with you on the particulars. I used a 0.5" bit for the rough and I did use a 0.25" bit for the finish cut.
Old Wed 20 October 2010, 07:47
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Thank Nils,

Haven't done allot of plastics, but I'm sure the time will come.

I'm finally getting my cut quality on hard woods down. Allot less sanding and minimal machine marks.

Funny how its not the MM design effecting cut quality, rather operator issues (pass depth, feed rates, etc). Garbage in, garbage out.
Old Tue 09 November 2010, 04:15
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Just a quick update.

The display company that I have been cutting prototypes, just gave me a large order. 400+ sheets of 3/16" x 48" x 96" Acrylic. When I have some time I will take a picture of the sheet after I cut them. Wish I could sell them also.

No time, sheets to cut.
Old Tue 09 November 2010, 04:26
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Well done Nils!
Old Tue 09 November 2010, 05:52
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Glad to hear that !!!
Old Tue 09 November 2010, 07:25
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Congratulations! Nils, we'll look forward to your insights on sheet material handling, as apparently you'll soon be an expert. Go easy on your back!
Old Tue 09 November 2010, 07:36
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...I think Nils is going to look like its snowing in his shop soon!
Old Tue 09 November 2010, 07:39
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Way to go Nils,
Old Tue 09 November 2010, 08:20
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Congrats Nils! Let me know if you need some pointers on shoveling snow! I know a little about that.
Old Tue 09 November 2010, 21:32
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Well do Nils!

X'mas came early for you this year!

Wish orders like these keep flooding in!

#PS,
I know who to talk to when I start cutting acrylic
Old Wed 10 November 2010, 01:04
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Thanks to all for the nice comments. My logistics side is working over time.

There has not be too much white stuff. I have found that I can use my dust collection which has helped some and the rest I clean up and return so it can be recycled.

I was breaking up the remains and putting it in a garbage container for recycling but I have stopped breaking them up after each cut because it was taking too much time. I now leave the remains of the sheet and stack them. Just doing this has allowed me to go from cutting two sheets per hour to three. See the photo.

I am currently cutting the 3/16" material with a 65-012 bit but I am going to try today a 63-743. I have had good results with the first one. I have cut 32+ sheets with one bit and it is starting to get dull. The 63 is made for plastic so I hope it will cut longer.

I cut in one pass and I am running at 130 IPM with the router at 18,000.

The displays are going to a discount department store gearing up for the holidays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1091.jpg (165.1 KB, 1103 views)
Old Wed 10 November 2010, 03:43
ifffff
Just call me: Ivo #38 & #130

Parnu
Estonia
Nils have you tried faster cutting? Im not cutted acrylic lot, but i had feedrate 5500mm/min at 18K spindle speed ( thats about 210ipm) Tool i used was 4mm one flutehttp://cerin.it/Scheda41a.asp?ID=930...ti=4&NPrezzi=1 I agree that faster speeds give worse cutting quality, but when it isnt so important then you may try. Time is money
How you did fix sheet on spoilboard, i do not see on picture any screw hole.

Last edited by ifffff; Wed 10 November 2010 at 04:08..
Old Wed 10 November 2010, 09:17
ifffff
Just call me: Ivo #38 & #130

Parnu
Estonia
About tool wearing. Im a lot cutted here PE sheets, and i think that you can cut with one bit about 30-40 sheets is normal.
Old Wed 10 November 2010, 14:35
giz
Just call me: Tyler

Salt Lake City, UT
United States of America
big job - congrats! what is your timeline?
Old Wed 10 November 2010, 16:33
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Nils,
Can you post a picture of the completed parts assembled? Just curious.
Old Wed 10 November 2010, 17:24
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Nils, It looks like you could save some material by nesting the parts a little different. Have all the pyramid looking pieces on one sheet and all the circles on another sheet. I just bring it up because of the material in the corners and in-between the pyramids.
Old Fri 12 November 2010, 03:08
jwt
Just call me: John

Wexford
Ireland
I'd second Russell's comment.

Even if you aren't paying for the material you still have to handle it, get it delivered, stack it, put it on the table, remove it, dump it.

looking at the photos you could do as Russell suggested putting circles on one sheet and pyramids on another

How about nest all the pyramids on one end of the sheet and put the circles at the other end of the sheet. maybe try rotating the pyramids 90 degrees to see if the leaves less waste.

Russell's idea will leave less waste because you loose a lot at edges of nested circles where the straight edge of the material means you have roughly semicircles of wasted space all along the edges.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read