MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 10 July 2007, 16:41
Les Filip
Just call me: Les

Austin, Texas
United States of America
Mechmate - Austin, Texas

Hello everyone,

I have been reading Gerald's forums for a while now and I can't possibly thank him enough for all the hard work he's obviously poured into the MechMate project. I have no doubts that building a MechMate is going to be an enjoyable process. Possibly the only complaint I can think of, and it only applies to us newcomers, is that there is an overwhelming amount of material to sift through to find the pertinent parts. Therefore I will do my best to document my own progress in the hopes that it will inspire someone with better writing skills than me to create a start to finish guide. If some such thread already exists I would love to read it, but I have not been able to find one.

Thanks again, Gerald. I see great possibilities in using the MechMate myself, as well as in providing kits of parts that are within my manufacturing or procuring capabilities.

Take Care,
Les Filip
Old Tue 10 July 2007, 19:13
joecnc2006
Just call me: Joe

Texas
United States of America
I am in San Antonio, Tx. just finished building a DIY CNC Machine to do some basic cutting, prior to this i designed and built my CNC Model 2006 shown on CNCZone. I would be interested in maybe helping you or visiting to see your progress, I have learned a bit sonce first starting diy cnc. my next and hopefully final project will be the MechMate.

Here is my simple 4x4 machine.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38220
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=346

In no way are my machines in the upper class of the Mechmate, but they have been a great learing tool.

I look forward to your progress and if i can help let me know.

Joe

Last edited by joecnc2006; Tue 10 July 2007 at 19:18..
Old Wed 11 July 2007, 00:03
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Welcome Les!
Old Fri 13 July 2007, 19:10
Les Filip

Austin, Texas
United States of America
Thanks for the welcome

I look forward to getting started as soon as I get some work out of the way!
Old Sun 15 July 2007, 17:46
Art
Just call me: Art #2

Lancaster,Texas
United States of America
I am in Lancaster, TX on the south edge of Dallas. Just finished my Mechmate gantry for my 4 axis inderer. It is posted on my site www.turningaround.org . Be glad to help you any way I can. Feel free to call.
Old Sun 12 August 2007, 18:30
DocTanner
Just call me: Don Ross

Blue Ridge, Texas
United States of America
Les,
Jump on that offer of help from Joe.
He's well known and respected at the Zone.
Lots of common sense. Good to see you here.

DocTanner
Old Mon 13 August 2007, 11:00
Bill McGuire
Just call me: Bill

Weiser, Idaho
United States of America
Joe...
I saw your pictures at your link. Looks as though it'll be pretty easy for you to go from what you have done to Gerald's machine. The plans are well designed and straightforeward, the folks here are very knowledgeable, and enthusiastic.
Welcome...
Old Tue 14 August 2007, 16:26
Les Filip

Austin, Texas
United States of America
slowly gathering parts

Thanks, Joe, Art, and Doc. I now have most of the electronics and Donald has a set of laser cut parts coming my way. I've got a welder ready to get to work when they arrive.
Old Mon 20 August 2007, 21:23
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Another Austin Texas newbie

Hello Les,

I live in Round Rock, Texas, just next door to Austin. I've had a long time interest in CNC, and have aquired a few parts. But, I don't have an actual construction underway. I'm interested in MechMate. Maybe we could help each other. I have a wood workshop in my back yard. I also have a MIG welder that might come in handy. I see there are a couple of other Texans interested as well.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Gerald, you sure have done a lot of fine work. Thanks so much for generously sharing with us.

Regards,
John Higgins
Old Mon 20 August 2007, 23:07
Les Filip

Austin, Texas
United States of America
Hi John,

Compared to the distances a lot of our fellow posters are from here, you and I are a stone's throw apart. My shop is in disarray due to preparation for the conversion to more computer controlled equipment, starting with a MechMate, but you are welcome to a tour any time you are near South Austin. You can send a private email to lfilip(at)mac.com for the location and phone number if you are interested.

I have the electronics for 2 machines, but I am starting with building just one so I can get all my mistakes out of the way. Once the first machine is running, I will be saving such an extraordinary amount of labor I will have plenty of time to work on the second one.

As for Gerald, I can't imagine being able to thank him enough for enriching so many of our lives with his inspiration (and perspiration, I'm sure). Thanks again Gerald!

Take Care,
Les Filip

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read