MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 702. Power Supplies
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Sat 10 March 2007, 20:37
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Smaller Readybuilt power supplies from Antek - good idea, but delivery disappoints

Caution: Look at the dates on these posts and see that the initial optimism was not followed through by sales support.

Last weekend we were discussing power supplies and I wondered if we could cajole John of toroid-transformer.com to build a compact one for us. No response to my mail and I had forgotten about it till this morning....when I get the following mail:

"Hi, Gerald:

Thanks for the information.

I have modified the power supply chassis. The size of the base is 6" x 6" (vertical) and 4.5" x 6" (horizontal). Please see the pictures. This chassis is for 500 to 800 VA transformers.
For 300 to 500VA transformers, I can reduce to 5.5" x 5.5" base and 4.5" x 5.5" (horizontal).
The picture includes the 600VA transformer, DC rectifier module, and 5V 1A module. It has the same features as PS-6N56R5 power supply in toroid-transformer.com
Thanks again for feed back information.

John"

What wonderful co-operation!

I will sleep easier knowing that guys can safely buy a pre-built package - blown capacitors are not pretty.
Old Mon 14 May 2007, 17:13
Frank D
Just call me:

Not that i mind building my own, but just out of curiosity, what did he quote you as a price for the power supply?
Old Wed 05 December 2007, 10:25
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Has anyone else had trouble getting Antek to deliver on their promises? If I ever receive this latest PS, I'm going to look for another source. The PS pictured in my control box is not the one I plan to use. I originally ordered a 70VDC PS from John. Over a month later, when I still hadn't received it but had been charged for it, I called John to inquire. He gave me several excuses and said he would ship it immediately. At that time, I changed my order to a 35VDC PS. He said no problem. A week or so later, I finally got it but it was a 70VDC. Well, I decided to keep it and use it for the plasma cutting MM I will eventually build that will have direct drive motors. So on 19 Nov, I ordered another 35VDC PS and John said it would go out the next day. I still haven't gotten it so I called him and he gave me several more excuses and said he will try to ship it on Monday. Yeah right.
Old Thu 06 December 2007, 05:57
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Doug,

I've only bought one PS. Everything went smooth. Received PS in one week (as close as I can remember).
Old Thu 06 December 2007, 22:16
lunaj76
Just call me: Justin #24

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to lunaj76
Ordered my PS Nov 11 via pay pal, (they were closed Thanksgiving week) called Nov 27, to confirm order. Received PS Dec 6.
Old Fri 14 December 2007, 17:41
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I still haven't gotten my PS from Antek. He's given me so many excuses, I don't know what to believe. I'm guessing that having to assemble a small footprint PS throws him off or something.
Old Fri 14 December 2007, 18:50
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Doug - I can't believe it. I guess since I ordered the standard form factor their was little guess work. Maybe it's Santa's elves keeping the UPS man away from your house....?
Old Sat 15 December 2007, 16:48
Bill McGuire
Just call me: Bill

Weiser, Idaho
United States of America
Sorry for your experience, Doug....
I just ordered my PS From Antek (600 VA) on Tuesday....received it today (Saturday). Everything went fine...except for the near hernia I got when I picked it up...
Old Sun 16 December 2007, 17:22
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Can someone give me some advice? I've come to the conclusion that I will never get the PS from Antek but I have an idea. The PS currently installed in my control box is a 500VA supply with 70VDC and 12VDC outputs. Is there any reason why I couldn't order a toroid transformer from Antek that puts out somewhere around 30 or 35Volts and just substitute it? If I make sure I use a transformer that is no more than 500VA or 400VA will I be okay? The other problem is that the 30 and 35 Volt transformers rated at 400 and 500VA don't have taps for 12Volts so that means I won't have transformer leads to connect to the power supply's 12VDC board. I'll have to add a 110AC to 12VDC transformer to my DIN rail but that's no big deal. Am I missing something or will that work?

Thanks Bill. Did you order a small footprint PS?
Old Sun 16 December 2007, 18:02
Bill McGuire
Just call me: Bill

Weiser, Idaho
United States of America
Doug... that depends...
I wear a size 12 W, and although it's shorter than my foot, it's a whole lot wider...
It's 8.5" X 6" X 3.5" high... 600VA

Bill

BTW: It looks as though it could kick a lot harder than my foot..
Old Tue 18 December 2007, 09:58
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
That's great. Personally, I'm fed up with Antek so I'll build my own PS. I'm thinking of going with the 500VA transformer with 25V secondaries Mike wrote about in post #50 above and I'll order the 400V rectifier. I already have several 50Volt 8400MFD capacitors I removed from some main frame computer power supplies. Based on info in some of the earlier posts, I think they should work. Thanks for the help.
Old Tue 22 January 2008, 15:55
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
My bank statement came today and it shows that Antek charged me $130 for the second power supply which they never shipped to me. If I ever get this mess straightened out.....
Old Wed 23 January 2008, 07:34
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Doug,
Was that on your credit card? If so just call your credit card company and file a charge back stating you did not receive the product. They will then take care of it for you. Just a thought.
Old Wed 23 January 2008, 09:21
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Great idea Heath. Thanks. I'm tired of dealing with these guys and I don't want to have to wait another month to see if they actually gave me my money back.
Old Sat 23 February 2008, 09:51
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Final update. I decided to give Antek one more chance so about a month ago, I called John and told him he never sent me the power supply I ordered. He promised to credit my account. A couple of days ago, my debit card statement came in the mail and it showed that Antek finally gave me my money back. It took two months and several phone calls but at least it shows that John is an honest guy.
Old Sat 23 February 2008, 18:14
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Doug,
Great to hear you finally got a refund.

Heath.
Old Wed 26 March 2008, 18:06
revved_up
Just call me: Craig

Hartland, MI
United States of America
Recieved my power supply today from Antek. All I could think when I first saw it was of Roy Scheider when he first saw Jaws and said "I think were going to need a bigger boat." I hope I don't end up needing a bigger box!
Closed Thread

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read