MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 22 September 2015, 16:33
sphericos
Just call me: David

Suffolk
United Kingdom
Kitchen Table Project Underway !!! - Suffolk, UK

After sketching measuring and working out a cutting plan for the steel last week, I ordered it on Friday and it arrived Monday. I hope to start cutting and welding this week. I didn't realise just how heavy it would be till I helped the delivery person unload it.

It all looks nice and straight.

steel1.jpg
Old Wed 23 September 2015, 02:35
lonestaral
Just call me: Al #114

Isarn
Thailand
Send a message via Skype™ to lonestaral
It looks a trifle damp mate !
You must be in England.
Welcome and a speedy build.
Old Wed 23 September 2015, 10:02
IMMark
Just call me: Mark #119

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
Good luck on your build David!
Old Wed 23 September 2015, 14:57
sphericos

Suffolk
United Kingdom
That's not rain just moderate humidity As Sir Rannulph Fiennes once said "There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing."

I started cutting today and sawing through the 200x75 PFC finished the blade off in my chop saw. So I am going to pick another blade up. The steel company wanted an obscene amount to cut it so I thought it was worth giving it a go. Even cut in half it is horribly heavy, the neighbours are looking at me like I'm mad.
Old Fri 25 September 2015, 07:06
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
A cutting disk in the grinder will make short work of the PFC, alot cheaper than chop saw blades All you need is a line to follow and a steady hand
Old Sat 26 September 2015, 15:46
Andrew_standen
Just call me: Andrew #109

Dorset
United Kingdom
Good luck with the build.
It will go faster than you think...enjoy.
Old Sat 26 September 2015, 22:41
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphericos View Post
That's not rain just moderate humidity As Sir Rannulph Fiennes once said "There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing."
Love that saying!

Quote:
I started cutting today and sawing through the 200x75 PFC finished the blade off in my chop saw. So I am going to pick another blade up. The steel company wanted an obscene amount to cut it so I thought it was worth giving it a go. Even cut in half it is horribly heavy, the neighbours are looking at me like I'm mad.
The neighbors do that. Mine works construction and he was watching with a slightly raised eyebrow. Good luck and enjoy.
Old Wed 30 September 2015, 22:08
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...don't worry about the look - they will get used to your success and want you to build "favors"

Cheers.
Old Thu 01 October 2015, 16:49
sphericos

Suffolk
United Kingdom
Hit a hold up today, the table is coming together and I hope to get it finished by next week, but m-machine who do the laser cut parts in the UK are not doing a production run till the end of the month. This means I can't even begin grinding the rails or assembling the gantry unless I can find someone local who can make the kit sooner or I can find someone who can lend me their skate so that I can at lease get on with the grinding. I would welcome suggestions?
Old Sun 11 October 2015, 22:19
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Orig cutting dolly was wood

Not suggesting it is as good, but you could hack one together with some plywood if you want to get going sooner. But the waiting will help you get primer, paint, welder, and other tools lined set to be ready!
Old Fri 30 October 2015, 06:25
sphericos

Suffolk
United Kingdom
Quick update

Still waiting for my laser parts but getting on with other stuff. table needs another coat of paint. I seem to have skipped the kitchen table project for the control box and I just started building it. Not 100% happy with the recycled PC I am using as its jitter is nearly 32000 which is apparently a bit higher than ideal for LinuxCNC 2.7. It is adequate for testing though and I have got the drives moving and running code. Slaving the x axis motors seemed to be horribly complicated at first, but turned out to be simple. My motor drives came with a cheap 5 axis BOB which I was going to bin as I assumed it would be rubbish, but it was so easy to get running I think I might use it for the final solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1a.jpg (35.3 KB, 446 views)
File Type: jpg 1b.jpg (37.6 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg 1d.jpg (38.4 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg 1c.jpg (43.6 KB, 449 views)
Old Fri 30 October 2015, 09:19
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Looking good!
Old Fri 02 September 2016, 11:28
Macwood
Just call me: Mac

London
United Kingdom
How progress?

Hi I have been watching your build, find it very inspiring as i too would like to build one, soon here in the uk.
How is progress?
Old Fri 02 September 2016, 15:56
sphericos

Suffolk
United Kingdom
It is finished, and the workshop has never been that tidy again. Probably not completely true as I am not sure it will ever be finished. I keep thinking about putting a 3:1 reduction on the steppers and I am attempting to sort out the dust collection. My gantry is not quite square, not enough to cause me any problems at the moment but it annoys me. Once you take the leap the process is not too bad. I did it all on my own without any assistance even for shifting the metal and if I have any advice it is don't do what I did. The beams are bloody heavy and I was lucky not to cause myself a serious injury.
Old Thu 12 January 2017, 12:33
jeep534
Just call me: archie

prichard, wv
United States of America
I am curious as to what you used for your "V" rails they look really shiny
The machine looks awsum by the way.

Thank You
archie
Old Thu 12 January 2017, 13:14
sphericos

Suffolk
United Kingdom
Just ordinary unequal angle. All I did was burnish them with a wire brush attached to a cordless drill. They seem to have maintained the shine even a year later and I had fully expected them to corrode where they were not being rubbed by the wheels. I had originally intended to paint them black but I mounted them to test alignment with every intention of removing them to paint and I just got carried away putting everything together and so no paint.
Old Thu 27 April 2017, 20:47
IamDave
Just call me: Davey

Ball Ground, GA
United States of America
Inspirational work.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read