MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 04 December 2009, 08:07
Sergio-k
Just call me: Sergio #61

Athens
Greece
Smile The most beautiful thing that you will see today! #61 - Athens, Greece

Today i had my first arrivals from Practical Micro Design.
My PMDX-125 with 4 203V Geckos arrived together with the
120 Euro Customs Clearance (ouch !!!!).

And this is my Box.

I'm still waiting my PK296A2A-SG7.2 motors, my chinese spindle and i'm done with the imported things.
My laser cut parts should be ready on Monday 7/12 so next week will be a very busy week for me.
I'll post new pics as soon as i get started.

cant wait for SANTA
Old Fri 04 December 2009, 09:54
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Sergio,

is the autogyre used for ventilation in your control box?
If so, most people run there control box fully closed since the Gecko drives will be
cooled enough by just air ventilating within the box.
Using a closed system will keep your control box clean and saves you from cleaning/buying filters.

appart from that, it's always good to receive some hardware

Ries
Old Fri 04 December 2009, 10:14
Sergio-k

Athens
Greece
Hi Ries

Yes i thought a vent opening would cool the box better that's why i bought
the Autogyre.
Good thing you pointed out about the problems (dust) that may arise inside the box before i start cutting the box.
Thx.

Last edited by Sergio-k; Fri 04 December 2009 at 10:21..
Old Fri 04 December 2009, 10:39
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Sergio,

in a control box like this that is vented to the outside world in a dusty environment, you usually would put the box on over pressure, thus blowing air out of every tiny little hole in the control box-

However, when you do this you need to be absolutely sure that the air you take in is free of dust and this means you need to to put air filters on the portion you take in air.

--
In Geralds design putting a ventilator under the gecko's alu plate you basically take in air from the back of the panel to the front. Using this method you cool the air over the complete control box.

Here you can see how Geralds control box looks like : http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282
Read this for Geralds results on it: http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...76&postcount=9

I remember I have seen some post where air was drawn through a large air filter, but couldn't find that anymore, there where some nice images there

When you read the manual on the Gecko, you will see that total power dissipation of a single gecko is 13W at 7Amp, ususally we draw 4Amp or less so give or take, the gecko will dissipate around 8Watt max for a single gecko, total 32Watt. So, I wouldn't worry to much about cooling the Gecko's. As long as the ventilator is blowing against the alu plate from teh back of the control box (see geralds control box design) you will be fine.

Ries

Note: The reason the Gecko dissipates only 13W at 7Amp is because the driver is totally digital and properly gecko uses high speed Mosfets. The power is only dissipated during switching if the mosfets going from 0 to 1 or 0 to 1, the faster they switch, the lesser power it will dissipate.
The mosfets on the Gecko's are not even screwed to the backplate of the Gekco, just a little but of heat paste
Old Fri 04 December 2009, 11:13
Sergio-k

Athens
Greece
Thx Ries

I got the whole picture now.
I saw Geralds design of the box before but i thought that he had a vent opening in the back of the box since i thought that 15mm is too little space for air to be sucked from the fan. But i guess it's not.

One more question i bought 230v circuit breaker 16A for the PMDX-125. is it ok or i should have gone to 35A ?. PMDX-125 mains power is 220v / 110v selected by onboard switch.
And furthermore since i kinda suck in the electric wiring part, is there a list somewhere in the forum with all the electrical staff i need to get for completing my box ? i mean push buttons, E-stops etc etc. ?
Old Fri 04 December 2009, 11:51
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Sergio,

I was quickly reading the PMDX 125 manual, but it doesn't seem like complete. One thing I did notice is that you can connect it to mains directly (120 or 240V) make sure (triple check) you have set it into the correct position, in Greece this would be 240V.

If you want to put a fuse for the PMDX 125 power supply only, then a 0.1A fast fuse in the mains power supply would be plenty enough for this board.

A Fuse like that looks like this :

You can buy fuse holders in-wire or plate mounted for these little babies.

A 16A or 35A is WAY to big for the boards need, this is because you will NOT run any large power through this board supplied by the boards power supply.

For electronics/controlbox help you can use this forum : http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Once you understand the system more, the blurr in your head will clear up

Ries
Old Fri 04 December 2009, 14:42
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Sergio,

I just found the picture with the air filter setup : http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...filter&page=10

This guy wanted it because he had a computer inside teh control box aswell (I think).

Ries
Old Tue 08 December 2009, 07:33
foinikas
Just call me: Sakis

Trikala
Greece
Sergio plz let me know about the power suppy you are going to use.
Old Tue 08 December 2009, 19:06
Sergio-k

Athens
Greece
OK i'm Back for good now.
I'm a Captain in a private yacht and i just had my last trip for the owner as he headed back home for winter and he's going to come back next summer.
So i have all the time for my MM now.

Though my skill in electronics is very low, i did my homework, study the forums and this is what i came up with :

My control box will nest my PMDX-125 BOB and 4 230V Drives giving power to my PK296AE-SG7.2 OM motors.
The motors inductance wired half coil is 1.5 so 32 x √1.5 = 39 Volt and their current in unipolar is 3A

I'm planning on building my own PS so here is my plan:
Torroidal transformer :400VA with 2 outputs of 28V 7.1A and 9v 1A
Rectifier 25A for converting the 28VAC to 39VDCC
Capacitors 3x 10000mf 63V Connected parallel.

The 9V output i want to convert it to 12VDC for
powering my proximity switches so i need your advise for choosing
the rectifier and the capacitor.

Also i want to ask if my 7.1A output is adequate for my PK296AE-SG7.2 motors ?
Considered that their max current is 3A x 4 = 12 A but reduced at 67% according to Mariss ( http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2324 )
is 8A.

Thx
Old Tue 08 December 2009, 20:35
Sergio-k

Athens
Greece
I forgot another thing i wanted to ask.

According to PMDX there are 2 ways for connecting the E-stops
to the PMDX-125 (see attached).
Which of the 2 connections should i choose ?

I tend towards fig1 btw.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AN125-1_MachinePower_02.pdf (34.4 KB, 135 views)
Old Tue 08 December 2009, 22:45
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Nice yacht! What are those 2 dark marks on the side?

Have you got a link to the transformer specification? I think you have 2 outputs of 28V 7.1A that can be connected in parallel to give 28V 14.2A, this makes the 400VA (multiply Volts X Amps to see the VA).
Old Tue 08 December 2009, 22:50
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I did not check the whole PMDX-125 circuit, but it is better to use NC (normally closed) switches for e-etops. Fig 1. is the better method.
Old Wed 09 December 2009, 01:44
Sergio-k

Athens
Greece
Hi Gerald
The 2 "dark" spots in the side is the windows for the cabins that are placed below deck.

The transformer is being made from a guy here in Athens according to our needs. So no pics no specs nothing.
What we tell him to make he makes
14.2A isn't too much for current output considering my setup?

How about the 9v to 12v output u have any suggestions on rectifiers and capacitors ?

Last edited by Sergio-k; Wed 09 December 2009 at 01:49..
Old Wed 09 December 2009, 08:41
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
"14.2A isn't too much for current output considering my setup?" The transformer will give current according to the load that you put on it. It will be capable of 14.2A, but you will never pull more than 8 Amps, so the transformer's size is "safe". (Not too big). However, you could easily use a 300 VA transformer (about 10 Amp at 28V), which is a little smaller and easier to mount.

Where are you purchasing your rectifiers and capacitors? It is easier for me to look through their "showroom" and select something that will work.
Old Wed 09 December 2009, 09:38
Sergio-k

Athens
Greece
Gerald
thx so much for your help.
You are trully remarkable.
Forgot to say that in the Laser Company they knew your site and they told me that there's no need to provide them with the drawings cause they allready got them.

The site of the shop which i buy stuff is this : http://www.markidis.gr/index.php

Again ty so much.

Last edited by Sergio-k; Wed 09 December 2009 at 10:01..
Old Wed 09 December 2009, 10:44
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I would personally use two identical rectifiers (this type) for the two different voltages because they easy to mount and you do not have to solder to connect the wires. The price is low enough.

Choosing capacitors from that site is difficult for me. I was looking at about 5 000 to 10 000 microFarad, rated 15V or more. On my usual website, I would look at this one. priced at around €2:

Old Wed 09 December 2009, 10:47
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Big windows in that part of the hull? I will sleep there with a lifejacket!
Old Wed 09 December 2009, 10:56
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
You can use two of these in parallel.
Old Thu 10 December 2009, 01:52
Sergio-k

Athens
Greece
Gerald
thx so much again for your help.

The windows is special reinforced glass.
if this glass breaks for example then the whole boat will break.

They do offer a spectacular view when you're out in the sea though.

I'll post you a pic from inside the cabin later.
Old Thu 10 December 2009, 07:42
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Capitano,

welcome on board...and good luck with your build.

The only grek word I know starts with M and end with alaka...

Claus
Old Thu 10 December 2009, 20:52
Sergio-k

Athens
Greece
Thx Claus

btw there's another Greek word that starts with "M" and ends in "akas"....
MOUSAKAS

Received the laser parts today

Can u spot which part is missing 2 bends ???

And regarding the vacuum, as i have to take advantage of every inch of the space where i'm going to set up my MM, i was thinking of buying something like this : http://www.karcher.com/int/Products/...s/11468020.htm
and installing a dust foot with a hose directly to the vacuum for continuous operation while the MM is working.
What do you think ?

Sergio
Old Thu 10 December 2009, 23:37
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Hello Sakis,

Your parts look hi quality.
The two missing bends are on the spider. One is the Gas strut holder and the mechanical stop. Those can both be bend by a big hammer...

Have Fun.

Claus
Old Fri 11 December 2009, 00:13
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
You can get that Karcher to suck up a lot of the mess, but you need to make a special small dust foot only about 70mm in diameter.
Old Fri 11 December 2009, 00:28
Sergio-k

Athens
Greece
@ Claus
correct the spider is missing 2 bends and i'm Sergios not Sakis

@ Gerald
Always there when we need you !!!
Thx again Mm8
Old Fri 11 December 2009, 00:53
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Sorry for that Srgios.
Old Fri 11 December 2009, 06:32
Sergio-k

Athens
Greece
np Claus

Just came back from shopping today.

I got my M1 Rack and M1 36 tooth Pinions,

And my Igus cable chain,

But i got also a HUGE disapointment when the OM importer in Greece
told me the price of the PK296AE-SG7.2 motors.
He said.....hold on........415 euros
That's about 610 USD each !!!!!
I think he's crazy since the same motors are being sold in US abt 250 USD !!!
It would be better for me to fly there and get them

Anyway i'll probably search for an online shop to get them, probably from Italy or Germany.

Sergio

Last edited by Sergio-k; Fri 11 December 2009 at 06:34..
Old Fri 11 December 2009, 07:09
Sergio-k

Athens
Greece
Damn i'm so furious abt this guy which btw is the main importer of oriental motors in Greece. http://www.chrismotor.gr/

I wonder if the main office in Germany knows how much he's reselling the motors cause i think he's just a plain thief.
Especially when martin from Poland got his motors for just 210 euros each including VAT. http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...ighlight=video

Anyway, could someone from Europe point me to an online shop where i can purchase the PK296AE-SG7.2 motors cause i can't seem to find anything ??

Thanks
Old Fri 11 December 2009, 08:29
foinikas
Just call me: Sakis

Trikala
Greece
This is a copy paste from Oriental Motors site here is the European stores.

Contact your nearest office for more information. If no office is listed for your country, contact the Oriental Motor Co., Ltd. Overseas Sales Department in Japan. Please include your contact information (especially the country in which you are located) so we can reply promptly.
ORIENTAL MOTOR (EUROPA) GmbH

HEADQUARTERS & DÜSSELDORF OFFICE
Schiess- Strasse 74 40549 Düsseldorf, Germany
Tel : +49-211-5206700 
Fax : +49-211-52067099
www.orientalmotor.de
ORIENTAL MOTOR (UK) LTD.

Unit 5 Faraday Office Park, Rankine Road, Basingstoke,
Hampshire RG24 8AH, U.K.
Tel : +44-1256-347090 
Fax : +44-1256-347099
www.oriental-motor.co.uk
ORIENTAL MOTOR (FRANCE) SARL

FRANCE HEADQUARTERS
32, avenue de I' lle Saint-Martin 92737 Nanterre Cedex, France
Tel : +33-1 47 86 97 50 
Fax : +33-1 47 82 45 16
www.orientalmotor.fr
ORIENTAL MOTOR ITALIA s.r.l.

ITALY HEADQUARTERS
Viale A.De Gasperi, 85 20017 Mazzo di Rho (MI), Italy
Tel : +39-02-93906346 
Fax : +39-02-93906348
www.orientalmotor.it

also check http://www.orientalmotor.com/product...fo_network.pdf

Btw 1 oriental motor cost in greece is equal to 4 Motionking motors(include shipping, taxes, customs) .
Hope that italy or german store can directly provide the motors to you.

Last edited by foinikas; Fri 11 December 2009 at 08:51.. Reason: adding an adress
Old Fri 11 December 2009, 09:30
Sergio-k

Athens
Greece
Thx Sakis
But i've allready made contact with OM in Germany a week ago and they pointed me out in their representative in Greece for sales.

The good thing is that my friends brother is studying in the US and he's coming home for Xmas so i think he can bring them to me for 170euros each
which is half the price from here.

!@~*&^%$#$# representatives
Old Fri 11 December 2009, 09:48
zenair10
Just call me: mario

shawinigan Qc
Canada
trying to call back germany office,,maybe they have make a mistake....
that's incridible,,,,double of price!!!!!
regards Mario!!!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read