MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Sat 18 April 2009, 08:32
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Nils,
That dust collector project sounds interesting. Are you doing a Thein separator or some other type. Show us some more when you get started.
Old Sat 18 April 2009, 10:23
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Heath,

I am going to be replicating the Thein separator. I like the idea.
Old Sat 18 April 2009, 18:21
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Heath,

I implemented a Thein Separator along with a Wynn filter. I have a dust collector closet. I have filters between the closet and the main workshop for the return air sucked in by the DC and expelled into the workshop. Before the Thein/Wynn changes, the closet typically had dust all over it. A couple of days ago I checked the filters...they are over the door...almost no dust and the DC closet is nearly free of dust. Big difference.
Old Sat 18 April 2009, 20:20
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Mike,
Gene used some polymer composite pneumatic nails with good results. These will not hurt your cutter.

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...11&postcount=3
Old Sun 19 April 2009, 01:55
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
John,

Your the reason I am going with the dust collector that I am going to use and the filter. Your write up helped me. I am not sure that I will be using the same material used in the write up.

Last edited by sailfl; Sun 19 April 2009 at 02:05..
Old Sat 02 May 2009, 10:29
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Today, I worked on the brackets that I will need to hold the PVC pipe for Z and for the run of the PVC pipe.

The first picture will be attached on the back side of the Z. I am going to try and use cable ties to hold the PVC pipe on the bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0215.jpg (168.2 KB, 1430 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0208.jpg (167.1 KB, 1430 views)
Old Sat 02 May 2009, 12:09
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
pretty impressive - you should have been a mechanical engineer
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 10:41
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Irfan,

Thanks for the comment. AutoCAD and Aspire make it easy.

I have painted the bracket and have attached to the back of the Z. I have clamps holding the PVC pipe in place as I build the other pieces that I will need to complete the DC system. I am now working on a design for the foot.

I used the existing bracket holes to attach the PVC pipe holder.

Today, I started to use tabs when I cut some new parts. 1/8" x 1/8" seems to work for me and it kept my fingers out of the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0218-2.jpg (87.9 KB, 1401 views)

Last edited by sailfl; Mon 04 May 2009 at 11:01..
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 10:59
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Lookin Good Nils,
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 11:19
javeria

Bangalore
India
Nils show us the full picture.
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 15:32
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Irfan,

Presently there isn't any thing else for you to see. I have not completed the foot and the flexible hose is not connected.

I am working on the foot design. I did cut a trial circle with a small lip that the PVC pipe will sit on.

I am a trial and error guy. I design and cut little areas of the design to see if they work. It is the same way I wrote software code when I developed software for the simulators I worked on. Code a little section, try it to see if it works. The small pieces work then the large piece will most likely work. Plus it is easier to find a problem.

Then I will display pictures as I finish things.

I am also waiting on a filter I ordered. They didn't have one in stock and they are having to make it up. I have to cut a donut for the filter and I want to measure the filter before I cut the donut.

Last edited by sailfl; Tue 05 May 2009 at 04:12..
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 15:59
jhiggins7

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Nils,

Looking good, my man!

Hey, is that piece of pipe, 6 inch, Schedule 40 PVC? If yes, are you going to have weight problems on your Z slide? Just wondering? That stuff is kind of heavy and it looks like you have at least 3 feet of it.

Like Irfan, I'm looking forward to seeing the whole set-up. I'm still wondering how good the pick-up will be with that 6" duct. Hope it works well for you.

Happy building and thanks for sharing!
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 17:06
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
John,

I decided not to go with the 6" pipe. I am using 4" sewer pipe which has a thinner wall and is lighter than the Schedule PVC. I don't think it will be problem but I will know more when I get it up and running. Currently with the pipe attached with clamps, the Z is working fine.

Another consideration to my 4" decision is that my run from the MM to the dust collector is very short, around 20 ft.

I am a kind of out of the box kind of guy. I try to understand what the experts say, do some reading, ask people I know, then I go do my thing. Some times it work and some times it doesn't.

I might be doing it all over with 6" pipe.

I am taking pictures and will continue to share as I go along.

I appreciate every ones interest.

Thanks
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 19:32
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Nils,

When I was building my dust collection system, I started off using 6" PVC but decided it was too heavy so I looked at sheet metal duct work. It was super light and once everything is riveted together, it is very, very rigid. The home improvement stores sell tubes of sealant designed to make duct work air tight and it works really well.

Good luck with your build.
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 22:35
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Doug,

Nice to hear from you. I never was very good at working with sheet metal. Sean suggested using the piping. I think that the sewer pipe and the flexible hose will work but thanks for the suggestion.
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 03:11
javeria

Bangalore
India
HI Nils actually I meant to see the space situation - you are having with the 6 inch pipe - since you are moving towards the 4 inch one - then I think - we don't have a space issue here - are you planning to have a adjustable height for this?

RGDS
IRfan
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 04:11
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Irfan,

I am not sure I understand your comments or question. An issue with space was not the reason I decided to use 4" pipes. For the short distance that I have to pull the dust from the MM to the dust collector I think that 4" pipe will work fine.

The pipe that is attached to the Z will move with the Z.

My plan is to have a section of PVC pipe running from the dust collection foot to above the Z. Flexible hose from the pipe on the MM to pipe in the rafters and from the rafters to the dust collector.

Does that help?
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 04:52
javeria

Bangalore
India
Nils if you look at my setup from the top - we see the proximity switch taking up some space behind the spider plate where the PVC pipe for dust evacuation is supposed to be. I just wanted to see in your setup - as to how much space was used up when you had the 6 inch pipe -

Sorry I was not much clear on my request for the complete picture.

RGDS
IRfan
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 06:52
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Irfan

I never had a 6" pipe. I did measure and I would have had to move my Z forward within the spider to be able to have a 6" pipe. I did have to change the location of the proximity switch wire and rotate the L wire connector to the side that the Z motor is located for me to be able to have the PVC pipe close to the Z slide.

If I have to adjust my Z slide some time in the future, I might move it forward one hole on the spider.
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 07:06
javeria

Bangalore
India
ok - got it sir - thankyou
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 07:58
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Irfan,

Not a problem.
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 10:03
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Irfan, you can move your proximity switch to one of the 45 degree faces of the spider plate to miss the hose. Makes the metal target a bit more complicated, but not impossible.
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 10:05
javeria

Bangalore
India
G' i did see that on some of the setups - I am some how not comfortable - I mean where do you put the holes to detect the end point -
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 10:27
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The z-axis cannot jump off the rails, so there is no reason to have the sensor detecting metal all the time and only find a hole at the end. You can have the z sensor in clear space all the time with a metal target at the end. In fact, it makes sense to have an adjustable metal target at the lower end, to stop you from diving into the table. The logic behind a z sensor is completely different to the other two axes. Also realise that you will not use a "home" reference on the z - you set zero at the table or job depending on cutter length.
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 10:36
javeria

Bangalore
India
G' got it - already have the hard stops in place - will change accordingly.
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 13:00
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Gerald,
Nils and I talked extensively about putting the proximity switch on the plate left side of the spider on the bottom and detecting the edge of the z-slide. Very out of the way of dust collection and the wire chase goes nicely up the side of the spider plate.

I would recommend using the 35mm barrel length of sensor in this location and not the standard 51 or 60mm units.....and a right angle connector :_)
Old Thu 21 May 2009, 09:15
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Dust Collection Complete

It seems like I have been working on my Dust Collection System forever.

I have tossed the previous bracket that I posted. I was not happy with it. After thinking about it, I decided that I wanted some thing that would be easier to remove. So I have made some thing that works for me.

My Dust Foot is designed a bit different. I like what others have done but I didn't like the doors. So I have a closed foot that measures 7" x 14". I must remove it to replace bits. Currently I am not going to use any brush around the bit. The bottom of the foot is a little lower than the bottom of the router collet.

I have pictures of the elements to convert the Harbor Freight Dust Collector, the new bracket, the dust foot and the piping.

The PVC pipe is not attached and can move along the flate piece that holds it up.

The small circle nubs on the dust foot keep the dust foot from being flush with the bottom of the router. This allows the air generated by the router to be pushed away at the top of the dust foot and does not interfer with the dust collection.

The tube on the dust foot fits into a connector. I created another bracket that is attached to the connector. When I remove the foot, I loosen the turn screw and dust foot tube slides out of the connector. I may replace the turn screw with a cam lever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0248.jpg (168.1 KB, 1331 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0264.jpg (166.2 KB, 1333 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0274.jpg (167.7 KB, 1325 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0302.jpg (167.5 KB, 1328 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0282.jpg (168.4 KB, 1325 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0284.jpg (167.6 KB, 1321 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0286.jpg (167.4 KB, 1322 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0304.jpg (169.2 KB, 1318 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0299.jpg (167.1 KB, 1316 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0300.jpg (163.8 KB, 1315 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0293.jpg (165.4 KB, 1319 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0294.jpg (167.8 KB, 1314 views)

Last edited by sailfl; Thu 21 May 2009 at 10:46..
Old Thu 21 May 2009, 09:25
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Nils,
That filter looks pretty darn nice up there. What do those things cost? How do you like the new setup. I am interested on how the thein separator is working.
Old Thu 21 May 2009, 09:33
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Heath,

I have only been collecting dust from the floor and some test cuts but it appears that the Thein separator is doing its job. You can see the dust going is a cyclon circle. I think it will will work for larger particles also.

I bought a 9E110SB filter from Wynn.

http://www.wynnenv.com

You can check the prices there.

I think I will like how things work after I have cut more material.

The only other thing I am going to purchase is a remote start for the dust collector.

John Higgins. Thanks for the info on the Thein and your build information.

Last edited by sailfl; Thu 21 May 2009 at 09:36..
Old Fri 22 May 2009, 13:51
jhiggins7

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Nils,

Your DC set-up is really looking great. Nice pictures, too. Thanks for sharing.

How long is your duct measured from the dust foot to the DC?

Also, how well is the DC picking up the router cuttings? Please let us know after you have more experience with the new system.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts