MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 14 September 2013, 08:55
aschutsky
Just call me: Andrew

Thornton, PA
United States of America
Newb looking for advice in planning process - 5x10 table

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the CNC world having picked up my Probotix V90 table a few months back. Now that I'm fairly familiar with the machine and the software (Mach3 / VCarve Pro) I'm absolutely ready for a much larger / capable table. I do a fair amount of woodworking - signs, cabinets, speakers, furniture and so forth. My favorite stock being a speaker designer/builder is Baltic Birch in 5x5 sheets so I'd like a 5x10 table to accommodate those as well as the normal 4x8 ply material. My background is in IT/programming/comp sci and I have a fair amount of mechanical/electrical experience as well. I also have a fair amount of help handy from friends who are ME/EEs.

I've been looking hard at a custom CNCRP 5x10 'kit' but I'm also considering a mechmate build which look like a lot of fun as well. I have the plans and have been looking through them. I don't currently have a welder nor do I know how to weld but I'm always willing to pick up new skills for projects and/or find someone who can help. I have a brand new 12x32 shed/workshop which I had built just for my woodworking and to house the new CNC. I'm not in any huge rush to complete the project and want to do it right with no regrets. A 3 axis setup would do just fine for my purposes, perhaps with the option to add a 4th later on. I'm a big fan of the R&P setup with a ballscrew on the Z. I'd like to be efficient and will be using NEMA34 motors for sure. My budget for the build is a 6-8k target including table and all electronics. I'd like the ability to add a vacuuam table later on as well.

Any insight is very much appreciated. Thanks for your time. I've been reviewing some of the build threads on here as inspiration which have been very cool. I've got a lot of learn and it's a bit overwhelming (But fun) at times.

Andrew
Thornton, PA
Old Sat 14 September 2013, 11:07
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Welcome to the Forum.
I think your budget is very realistic.
Don't forget to factor cost for good software, unless you already have something you are using with your current machine.
Old Sat 14 September 2013, 12:31
aschutsky
Just call me: Andrew

Thornton, PA
United States of America
Thanks for the welcome. I'm using Mach3 and Vcarve pro/Aspire now, so good to go with software.
Old Sun 15 September 2013, 07:03
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Perfect.
Your rationale is spot on for the 5x10 machine size, if 5x5 is a common material size you use..
I could envision the router on one end cutting parts while you are unloading/reloading the other end.
A simple re-zero and you could switch ends and repeat the process.
Some serious part production could occur with that scenario.
Good Luck with it.
Old Mon 16 September 2013, 10:22
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Andrew.
Welcome to the MM community. I am sure you will do great if you choose to fabricate and the MM.

Your budget is spot on. I spent roughly 5800 for the first router based machine 5x10 table. Just under 8k for the 5x10 with fancier computer and Spindle w/ dust collection.

Don't let the welding be a challenge - it's easy.

Good luck. The forum is very supportive for the folks that ask the right questions?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read