MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 29 June 2011, 03:18
shern_0711
Just call me: RJ

Louisiana
United States of America
A point in the right direction

Hello all! I am new to the cnc world and need a point in the right direction. I am looking to build a cnc that has a 4' x 8' cutting area. I want to be able to cut wood so I can make molds for fiberglass and do custom wood work. I have been doing alot of research and its alot of information...lol. And still have alot more to do! I am looking for plans with part lists. It needs to be able to cut 3d designs. Three axes will do. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. If any more information is needed please let me know. Thank you in advance to all who respond.
Old Wed 29 June 2011, 03:30
aussie_mick
Just call me: Mick

Nowra
Australia
RJ

You have come to the right place. The MechMate plans are available for purchase from the web site.

The beauty of the MechMate is that the size is up to you. All is explained in the plans as well as many threads within the forum.

I am also building a machine the same size as you are looking at. I will be using it to cut wood for childrens toys.

Welcome to the site and journey.

Mick
Old Wed 29 June 2011, 03:41
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
It is easy to just ask for a BOM, but since you can custom the design to an great extend no 2 builder will have the same BOM at any one time.
With MM, BOM is one very important task a builder should assemble himself, this exercise ensures the builder understand what he/she is doing before the 1st purchase.
IMHO, one of the factors which made the MM design shine is the requirement for the builder to finesse his own BOM... Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Wed 29 June 2011, 09:19
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome to the forum !!! Looking forward to your build.

Mike
Old Wed 29 June 2011, 14:00
shern_0711

Louisiana
United States of America
I tried looking at the plans but it says I have to pay for them which is not a problem, but I want to know what kind of designs they are before purchasing them. Also I'm assuming they are all steel cnc machines. I don't have a welding machine which I could rent one. I'm trying to find out what tools are required for the build, what types of materials will be used, and a general cost of the build. I was looking at cnczone.com and they gave this information, but didn't have plans for the size of cutting area I'm looking for. I have looked for the information on here and can't seem to find any of this information. Am I missing it somewhere?
Old Wed 29 June 2011, 14:23
shern_0711

Louisiana
United States of America
Metalhead,
Through reading some of the posts I understand you sell prefab parts or kits for some of the plans? Is this correct?
Old Wed 29 June 2011, 15:29
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
yes that is correct. www.cvsupply.com and click on mechmate. I also have many electrical items as well. Search 'Electric Kit' to see details on those here in the forum.
Old Wed 29 June 2011, 19:43
shern_0711

Louisiana
United States of America
Metalhead,
On these prefab kits are they universal. Meaning, since MM plans are customizable for different sizes is your kit still going to work for a larger table such as the one I'm planning on building
4'x8'. I am also interested in your electric and wiring kits as well, but am far from needing them now...unfortunately.
Old Wed 29 June 2011, 19:59
timberlinemd
Just call me: Steve #66

Arizona
United States of America
Yes, 4'x8' table is pretty standard. Mine accepts a 49" x 97" sheet of material. Many MM's are made for 5' x 12' material.
Old Wed 29 June 2011, 20:57
shern_0711

Louisiana
United States of America
Great! I was trying to find out as much as possible before purchasing the plans to make sure this is what fits my needs. I think I have what I am looking for and will purchase the plans. I am still curious to know what the cost is going to be including the whole build with all software for everything is going to be. I know its case by case, but just a general idea woud be give me an idea.
Old Thu 30 June 2011, 04:27
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
5-8K pending choices.
Old Thu 30 June 2011, 04:57
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
100~200% more if you go all branded & don't shop for the best price.
Old Thu 30 June 2011, 11:28
shern_0711

Louisiana
United States of America
wow...a little more than I thought. I don't need top brand and will definitely be price searching. I think it will be well worth it. Can't wait to get started!
Old Thu 30 June 2011, 13:57
timberlinemd
Just call me: Steve #66

Arizona
United States of America
Less than $5k for mine. Look for deals and opportunities when purchasing.
Old Thu 30 June 2011, 19:28
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Huge value can be had with choices like the following:
- g540 combination controller, bob and drivers all in one
- make your own rails
- use router instead of spindle to get started
- salvage purchase on non essential components like: power cabinet enclosure, use emc I stead of mach3 software, etc.
- steel from salvaged items instead of purchase will save $$$$$$$

Good luck

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read