MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > Cutting various materials - bit selection, feeds, speeds
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 05 May 2012, 07:59
Gene8522
Just call me: gene8522

Santa Fe, Texas
United States of America
Cutting PVC (polyvinyl chloride)

I need to cut out some parts using 3/8" & 1/2" PVC ( polyvinyl chloride
)plastic. Is there an end mill made to cut PVC and what RPM & feed rate are you using?
Old Sat 05 May 2012, 12:21
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Onsrud carbide down spiral bit (or compression bit). The material has a tendency to climb up off the table if you don't have vacuum. Pay attention of Climb or conventional direction of cutting small parts. They can release aggressively if your not using tabs and/or vacuum.

225-290 ipm, 11-13k (2 passes)

You can reference early in MM#5 build to see the piles of snow we once produced daily.
Old Sat 05 May 2012, 14:33
Gene8522
Just call me: gene8522

Santa Fe, Texas
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by smreish View Post
Onsrud carbide down spiral bit (or compression bit). The material has a tendency to climb up off the table if you don't have vacuum. Pay attention of Climb or conventional direction of cutting small parts. They can release aggressively if your not using tabs and/or vacuum.

225-290 ipm, 11-13k (2 passes)

You can reference early in MM#5 build to see the piles of snow we once produced daily.
Thanks smreish for the reply,
I will be cutting 16" and 14" circles from 3/8" PVC so I don't think they will lift off of the table. My big worry was the feed rate and RPM. I'll be sure to put in about 6 tabs.
Where do I find MM#5?

Last edited by Gene8522; Sat 05 May 2012 at 14:47..
Old Sat 05 May 2012, 23:12
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Have a look here.

I'm working on a new MM quietly in the corner #5 - Orlando. FL
Old Tue 15 May 2012, 06:05
polishpickle
Just call me: Jerry

Medina
United States of America
I cut it all the time. My favorite bit is a single flute upcut made by Gerber.
Old Tue 15 May 2012, 06:42
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Jerry - that single flute (or any single flute) is the key to PVC as I found. The bigger the chip load, the better the cut!
Old Wed 25 December 2013, 21:42
litemover
Just call me: Chris

Auckland
New Zealand
I've been using onsrud single "O" flute downcut for 3/16" and lower as it reduces the movement, and for 1/4" and higher a single flute "0" uncut spiral with tabs. BTW, a multi tool for cutting tabs is essential.

If you use a calculator for feeds and speeds, be sure to account for 1 flute instead of 2, as the speeds are half (about 42"/min at 10000rpm ish.)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read