MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Computing, Software & Programming > Utility software
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 06 June 2009, 17:55
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Scaleing g-code

I figure there are a set of utilities I am not familiar with out there.

1. Something that would read a file, indicate the 'starting position' relative to the file, and the overall working envelope size (like 24"x10"x3")

2. On the heels of the previous utility, is there something that can scale g-code by percent on each dimension independently? So that you could say mill the item above at 50% on the X and Y and 33% in the Z so it could work in a 12x12x1" envelope mill.

Telling me where to go find a book is OK, I can take RTFM as an answer, I just need to know what the FM is!

Thanks ...
Old Sat 06 June 2009, 23:04
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hi Jack. Look at the programs from Vectric. I use Cut2D. Import your DXF file. Select the piece. Scale it and put it on the 0,0 position. Then select the vector and the tool with it's cutting paramaters and this program generates the Correct G code for you
Old Sun 07 June 2009, 02:18
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Jack,

If you are using a CAM or even CAD, you can scale the vectors that you are going to cut before you create the G-Code and then just generate the g-code.

Please explain what more about what you are wanting to do? Thanks
Old Sun 07 June 2009, 05:26
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Jack,

You can change the scale in Mach3 using G-Codes G50 and G51. You can change each axis independently. G50 resets the scale to 1.0.

Just edit your G-Code file in Mach3. Enter the scale change like this:

G51 X2.4 Y2.0 Z1.0 (or whatever you want)

When you run the G-Code in Mach3, the Scale will show in the DRO.

Happy cutting!
Old Sun 07 June 2009, 06:20
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
John,

I didn't know you could change it in GCode but that makes sense. I appreciate the info.
Old Sun 07 June 2009, 17:01
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Thanks to everyone.

In am wanting to use EMC2 rather than Mach, and don't see any options that would allow re-scaling independently in the software. But John's idea is great,
and like what I was thinking could be done.

Nils, g-code is really a pretty 'brain dead' computer language. Very useful and flexible, but very 'old school' compared to todays languages. Very 'assembler language like' in its basics.

Currently I am 'just getting started' so I have not settled on a 'favorite' cad or cam software. I would rather use LINUX instead of Windows, but that shows the contrarian I am I guess (plus cheap!)!

Thanks for all the great replies!
Old Sun 07 June 2009, 20:23
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
John,

Having programmed in pascal to C, and lots in between, it might be old but it gets the job done and that is what is important. Yes, it would be nice if it more capability but it works. Simple is some times nice.
Old Mon 08 June 2009, 20:02
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
http://www.ncplot.com/

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read