MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Archives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Sun 04 May 2008, 22:16
dmoore
Just call me:

Y Car Welding

Gerald - while I assembled the Y Car I couldn't help but keep thinking - "He gives this away for free?" The tabs popped right into place and the finished appearance is top notch. Other than some confusion about the pictures for the weld-up being for the orginal MechMate and which side the the counter sunk holes go on, it all snapped together perfectly. Here here Gerald!

I know that Gerald says that clamps aren't neccessary but rather than risk it and to close a few small gaps, I put a few clamps on it.

When it was all said and done, it turned out completely true and straight.

Last edited by dmoore; Wed 07 May 2008 at 08:18..
Old Sun 04 May 2008, 23:39
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
It looks like you are having fun!

I always enjoy it when laser cut parts "clip" together . . . . . . . all thanks to CAD / CAM / CNC.

We flatten pipes with a hydraulic press. A key to the flattening is to take a big bite . . . . . if the pipe in the jaws is too short, it slips (spits) out as the pipe tapers. I can also do a pretty decent job with a hammer and anvil . . . . .
Old Fri 09 May 2008, 22:21
Helsingtwelve
Just call me: James

Houston
United States of America
David
I will start to build the controller this is what I want to work with first, yes I have a small cnc machine to Play with the controller till i start building the table (bench)

Then step 2 and so on and on we go
Old Wed 21 May 2008, 11:01
RLH3
Just call me: Roman

Reno, NV
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore View Post
And the best purchase I've made recently was the roll around "bat cart" I use for my CNC control machine - it's a medical computer and thus it's all grounded/surge protected/shielded, has more aluminum in it than I paid for it, came with a touch screen LCD and even had a $1000 (on ebay) digitizer that works with Rino... all for $225 (show in post #1).
Do you have any details on the make and model of the cart you use? It looks like it would be perfect for another application that I have ( and possibly to eventually be used for a CNC controller! (SWMBO willing and I can find space to put it!))

The picture seems to have been deleted, If you could post another one it would also be helpful.

Thanks,
Roman
Old Wed 21 May 2008, 11:23
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
David,
What happened to all your pictures?
Old Wed 21 May 2008, 15:30
dmoore
Just call me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino11 View Post
What happened to all your pictures?
I was running out of space. What I think I'm going to do since the space is an issue is collect ALL my photos (currently about 157 of them) of the build in full-res and post them as a collection along with the master BOM I'm getting close to finishing.
Old Wed 21 May 2008, 15:35
dmoore
Just call me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Hruska View Post
Do you have any details on the make and model of the cart you use? It looks like it would be perfect for another application that I have ( and possibly to eventually be used for a CNC controller! (SWMBO willing and I can find space to put it!))

The picture seems to have been deleted, If you could post another one it would also be helpful.
It's highly unlikely you'd find one - it's actually a untrasound system for prostates. I purchased it from a medical research hospital for about $250. If you keep your eyes peeled, you can find systems simular at other auctions (not ebay). The medical stuff tends to be top of the line as opposed to the industrial stuff.

I've attached photos of the "bat cart"
Old Wed 21 May 2008, 16:50
RLH3
Just call me: Roman

Reno, NV
United States of America
Thanks. I was really attached to the idea of a cart with an enclosed space for the electronics and such. I have a friend who is a building engineer at a hospital so I will have him keep an eye out for something similar.

Once again , thanks for the speedy reply.

Roman

PS how goes the BOM?
Old Wed 21 May 2008, 21:27
dmoore
Just call me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Hruska View Post
PS how goes the BOM?
I still have to populate the times for each individual task, finish the steel lookup table and then re-verify all the parts when I disassemble it. I'm also still working out minor issues like the cable chain laying flat, dust collection and l electrical parts.

It's 10 work sheets and the BOM has over 150 different items.
Old Thu 22 May 2008, 19:10
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore View Post
I was running out of space. What I think I'm going to do since the space is an issue is collect ALL my photos (currently about 157 of them) of the build in full-res and post them as a collection along with the master BOM I'm getting close to finishing.
David,
Talk to Gerald when he is back, I know he could up your picture allotment for you. He mentioned this before. I am looking forward to you bom as it will definately help others. Your build looks great.
Old Thu 22 May 2008, 19:59
dmoore
Just call me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino11 View Post
Talk to Gerald when he is back, I know he could up your picture allotment for you. He mentioned this before. I am looking forward to you bom as it will definately help others. Your build looks great.
"For this forum, I have set a limit of 195kB per .jpg file, and each user can save a total of 3 000 kB worth of all attachments for the whole forum. (might be able to revise this in future - depends on the expense)"

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...tures#post4018
Old Tue 27 May 2008, 16:12
htrowrod
Just call me: Bruce

Vacaville,Ca
United States of America
Hey David, great job! I only wish I was half as organized as you. You mentioned photo's and a boom would be attached. I couldn't find them anywhere.

Where are you at now with your MechMate? What was the other CNC that you built? Do you still have still have it? How big was the table on it?

I am only in the dream stage at this point, but I do plan to build one.

Bruce
Old Tue 27 May 2008, 22:48
dmoore
Just call me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by htrowrod View Post
You mentioned photo's and a boom would be attached. I couldn't find them anywhere.
I will release full-res versions of the photos when I have fully completed my build. Right now I am finishing up the dust management system. I then only have to do the final electrical (e-stops, USB ports,nPod inputs/outputs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by htrowrod View Post
Where are you at now with your MechMate? What was the other CNC that you built? Do you still have still have it? How big was the table on it?
It's completely functional - I've run two 4x8 sheets through it so far. The other CNC machine I built was a "trainer" model from www.buildyourcnc.com. I do still have it and when I have a moment, I'll sell it. It was about 36"x28". My MechMate now is 100"x52".
Old Wed 04 June 2008, 00:42
dmoore
Just call me:

MechMate YouTube Video at 400 IPM doing 3D moulding

It seems that the MechMate is starting to pay for itself. I received my first 30 piece order today! I have also been working up custom moulding (eyebrows, rosettes, picture frames, wainscoting, etc) samples for co-workers and shot the following video of the MechMate doing 3D cuts at 400+ IPM. That Z is getting some serious action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge_X_4BVTwM
Old Wed 04 June 2008, 03:56
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hi David,

Can you post some pictures of the stuff you are cutting. I cannot access Youtube from work and at home with a modem connection also to slow. Thanks
Old Wed 04 June 2008, 04:35
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
David, this type of post belongs in your personal thread or the "catchall" thread. You must please stop cluttering up the General thread.
Old Wed 04 June 2008, 04:39
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Welcome back Gerald !
Whishing you well on the work load and other stuff been awaiting for you !!
Robert !
Old Wed 04 June 2008, 04:53
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
There is something always to keep G' busy!

BTW good working on ur mechmate David.

G' might be we can have a thread for videos alone? on the main sheet - I mean for the links on youtube.-with a warning that it will consume lot of bandwidth.

RGDS
Irfan
Old Wed 04 June 2008, 08:26
dmoore
Just call me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
David, this type of post belongs in your personal thread or the "catchall" thread. You must please stop cluttering up the General thread.
I'm confused - the General section has the following: "Welcome to this forum for folk with an interest in building CNC gantry routers that typically take about 3 - 5 HP routers for tables of 4 to 12 ft (1200 to 3700mm)". So when I read this it seems that any talk of MechMate or other CNC gantry based systems with routers is ok. No idle chit-chat about your work, what's on TV, etc.

The "catchall" section says: "Anything not directly connected to constructing a MechMate CNC table system". This seems like where you post the idle chit-chat stuff as long as it doesn't involve the build process.

It seems we should just get rid of one or the other forum, with any actual build process discussion being moved to the respective forum. The biggest issue I, and it seems like others also have, is that the personal threads offen contain really good nuggests of information about individual process but that information needs to go to the individual process forums. That is one of the reasons I stopped posting to my personal build log and started making individual posts about an issue or improvement in the sub-forums.

Also, can we have a sub-forum for dust mangement and hold down systems (or expand the description on the base table forum)?

I'm all about playing "by the rules" but the rules about where and what to post are somewhat confusing.

Thanks,
david
Old Wed 04 June 2008, 09:04
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
How does your video help to build a MechMate?

Regarding the posting in personal threads.......from time to time I pick out the good posts from the personal threads and duplicate them to the other threads or even create new threads from a couple of posts in a personal thread. It takes a while before the good stuff finds a place of its own - I can't really start to move them while there is a hot debate on the go.

Your posts are safe in your personal thread - at the other threads I "prune" quite agressively, but generally at a time when the thread has gone cold.

Yes, it is a very unconventional way of running a forum, and I make no excuses for that. Neither am I going to write a rule book for what is "allowed" here, because then I can change my mind all the time!
Old Wed 04 June 2008, 09:14
dmoore
Just call me:

Quote:
How does your video help to build a MechMate?

Regarding the posting in personal threads.......from time to time I pick out the good posts from the personal threads and duplicate them to the other threads or even create new threads from a couple of posts in a personal thread. It takes a while before the good stuff finds a place of its own - I can't really start to move them while there is a hot debate on the go.

Your posts are safe in your personal thread - at the other threads I "prune" quite agressively, but generally at a time when the thread has gone cold.

Yes, it is a very unconventional way of running a forum, and I make no excuses for that. Neither am I going to write a rule book for what is "allowed" here, because then I can change my mind all the time!
Ok - thanks for the update. Can you delete my personal thread (49" x 97" MechMate Build detail log - Houston, Texas)? I'll restart it later when I'm completely done with my MechMate.

Thanks!
david
Old Wed 04 June 2008, 09:18
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
If you really want, I will delete it after I have scanned it for stuff to move to other threads.
Old Wed 04 June 2008, 09:23
dmoore
Just call me:

Quote:
If you really want, I will delete it after I have scanned it for stuff to move to other threads.
Absoutely...
Old Wed 04 June 2008, 23:06
dmoore
Just call me:

Clarification.... I have been informed that my request to have my thread deleted may have been interpreted as "I'm taking my bat and ball and going home". This was not the case. I asked to have my thread removed because 1) After reviewing it, it read like a "first draft" and contain inaccurate information that I later corrected in other posts 2) I had removed the photos to free up space 3) I didn't feel that it contained anything "new" that wasn't already know 4) I wanted to heed the direction of Gerald and post improvements, corrections and issues in the specific sub-forum (as I have since done) to make it easier for future MechMate builders to find, instead of it being buried in a personal thread 5) I wanted to start a new thread in the near future, showing the final, refined product.

I'm not leaving (if it matters) and hope to contribute going forward, in-line with the requests of those that be.

Thank you,
David Moore
Old Thu 05 June 2008, 09:26
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
David,
Great to hear. I along with others have really enjoyed your posts and contributions to this site. I look forward to your future posts as well.
Old Thu 31 July 2008, 15:23
Mike Nash
Just call me: Mike Nash

Bessemer, Alabama
United States of America
Anyone seen this TrueCNC Design?

Maybe it's old hat. I just found something on CNCZone http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=12 thatprompted me to do a web search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=712LnZtRFXQ

Complete with Sean's Mamba Logo design.
Old Thu 31 July 2008, 15:52
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
That looks like David Moore's dust foot???? Something smells fishy. You've got to agree it's a nice design for a CNC machine ..... but something seems to be missing ...... oh I know what it is ...... it's the MechMate logo decals.

Last edited by J.R. Hatcher; Thu 31 July 2008 at 16:01..
Old Thu 31 July 2008, 16:12
krabenaldt
Just call me: Kevin

Midland TX
United States of America
I saw it too

I always am hunting the internet for cnc router info and came across this on you tube about 2 days ago. It does look like David's. I think he talked about routing the cables through the cross arm and has the laser centering.

Copying is the highest form of flatterly.
Old Thu 31 July 2008, 17:02
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
There is NO DOUBT. It looks like he took Gerald's bat and ball and went home.

Sad.
Old Thu 31 July 2008, 17:38
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
I hope David is reading this...your stealing the MechMate design and violating the user license agreement. You can and should be prosocuted by law.
Closed Thread

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read