MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Motors & their mountings
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 21 February 2009, 11:32
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The Gecko 201, 202 & 203 drives will all drive the Motionking 34HS4801 motors, that is no problem.
If I was in your position, I think I would buy the MK drives that they recommend. I wonder why they do not list the 2H090MK? Why did you select the 2H090MK - did they recommend it to you?
Old Sat 21 February 2009, 12:17
mrloeng
Just call me: Svein

Trondheim
Norway
They recommend 2H090MK.
I asked if it was the SM-90 or 2L110M I may have to this engine, then they said that the SM-90 been shut down instead of 2H090MK.
And 2L110M is too big for this engine.
Think I go for the MK pack. They have been quick to reply on the mail I sent, so I think there support is also ok.
So I think this will go well.
Thanks Gerald.
You made the decision easier
Old Sun 21 June 2009, 20:17
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Motion King and MK Controllers

I emailed Motion King about their geared motors with controllers.
Their response was:
34HS9801, $55.00/pcs, 4pcs ----------------- $220.00
SM-80/82X, $85.00/pcs, 4pcs ---------------- $340.00
Express Freight Charge ------------------------- $207.00
PayPal Surcharge (5%) ------------------------- $38.35
SUM ---------------------------------------------------- $805.35

The gear motor P/N is 34HS9801-G5.
Their controllers I assume are roughly equivalent to Gecko's.
I was thinking of using their G5 (a 1:5 ) gear head.

Any suggestions on more information about the Gecko's?

FYI, they also quoted 5 units:

34HS9801, $55.00/pcs, 5pcs ----------------- $275.00
SM-80/82X, $85.00/pcs, 5pcs ---------------- $340.00
Express Freight Charge ------------------------- $230.00
PayPal Surcharge (5%) ------------------------- $42.25
SUM ---------------------------------------------------- $887.25

Why did I ask for this quote? Because I was thinking of having a spare or another axis for an indexer eventually.

Suggestions?

(If someone needs/wants to see them let me know, they sent me a copy of their controller manuals electronically. Some of it is more than I currently really understand.)
Old Wed 24 June 2009, 20:28
shaper
Just call me: Jed

Perth, WA
Australia
Jack

If you go with them I'd be interested to know how the gearboxes go, I have just received my motors (34HS9801) without the gearboxes, I was steering clear of them as I was not able to get any specs with regard to backlash etc. on them.
Old Wed 24 June 2009, 23:11
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
My MK 34HS9801 motors are still going strong. One day I will get to cut ALU and try my own gearbox....maybe one day, but so far I am happy with what I have and how it works.
Old Thu 25 June 2009, 07:32
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Jack,
Do you know what the backlash on that gearhead is? I did not find a datasheet when I quickly looked at their site today. Maybe a link to the datasheet?
Old Thu 25 June 2009, 07:55
servant74

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
I will send them an email. ... They obviously don't put all their information on their web site.
Old Thu 25 June 2009, 18:33
servant74

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
I got back a message from MotionKing that indicated they do not have the information.

Quote:
from Media Lee(MtionKing) <sales@motionking.com>
date Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 6:56 PM
subject Re: Re: Re: Price information please?
mailed-by mx1.csg.iadfw.net

hide details 6:56 PM (35 minutes ago)

Follow up message
Dear Jack Coats,

No, we don't hear such "backlash" for a stepper gear motor.

Thanks & Best Regards!

Media Lee
2009-06-26
Old Thu 25 June 2009, 21:17
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Or they dont want to tell you what it is.
Old Fri 26 June 2009, 06:42
shaper
Just call me: Jed

Perth, WA
Australia
I went for the straight 34HS9801 as they couldn't give me the information either, I'll go with a 3:1 belt reduction instead. They quoted me $50US for the motor alone so they are only charging you $5US and freight for the gearhead may be worth a look and in the worst case just unbolt gearhead and ditch it.
Old Fri 26 June 2009, 09:39
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
If that gearhead motor is built like the Oriental Motor ones, the gearhead cannot simply be removed to expose a nice motor shaft - the motor shaft has gear teeth cut directly into it. See What does a stepper motor look like inside? (geared Oriental Motor)
Old Mon 29 June 2009, 01:12
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Hi,

This is my first post. Glad that I'd join this wonderful community. Been loading myself with the treasure of knowledge in this forum for some time now.

Had tinkered with "toy" scale simple CNC carving router using recycle printer motor... Very keen on building "Man" size MM to show my manhood :-)

A quick question on Microstepping. MK driver SM-80/82x
http://www.motionking.com/download/S...tion_Rev.E.pdf
have choice of microstepping selection. How should we go about this selection?

Why MK? Cost is a factor...

Appreciate the pointer.
Old Mon 29 June 2009, 04:25
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
About 10 usteps (2000 per revolution):

Less, the cut could be rough.
More, your PC cannot generate the pulses fast enough
Old Mon 29 June 2009, 05:08
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Gerald,

Thanks, does it matter if we use 3:1 belt reduction or not?

Cheers
Old Mon 29 June 2009, 06:08
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
If you do not have belt reduction, then you can theoretically use a lot more (30) microsteps per revolution, but you can play with that later to see if it makes a real difference in the cutting quality.
Old Mon 29 June 2009, 09:17
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
I'll go with 3 or 4:1 belt reduction with the 34HS9801 and think it is fairly conclusive that the SM-80 will be suitable (multiple 1,2,5,10,20,40. or step/rev of 200, 400, 1000, 2000, 4000, 8000) rather then SM-80A (multiple 2,4,8,16,32) or SM-80B (multiple 1,2,4,8,16,32,64)

I am not trying to go too detail at this stage, but I need be sure anything I buy now has enough room for tuning & "upgrade"

Wonder when Marc & J.R are going to conclude their offer for the belt reduction. need to know the cost soonest to justify if the cost is worth the time saving.

Cheers
Old Mon 29 June 2009, 09:55
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
If I understand correctly, with the application of microstepping, he noise, smoothness and accuracy will also improve but only to an extend, emparically about 8x will see deminishing return in accuracy, but smoothness and noise improvement can still improve but do not know how far.
I also learnt that improving stepper movement was the original motive for the invention of microsrtepping. the others benifits just happened to came with the package...

Torque will reduce with higher stepping this has to do with megnetivc saturation of some sort... hence the belt reduction is really necessary. BUT since there are no complain of slipping here, then I can safely conclude the 34HS9801 has enough torque to go around their business in MM with a 3:1 belt reduction..

Please correct me if I made any error in judgment here.

Cheers
Old Sun 04 April 2010, 20:21
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Question & info to & for all MotionKing users !?

To Kobus & others ( Kobus 1st as it appears to me you’re the one who is our senior MotionKing user ! )

As I’m gearing up and testing some 1st cuts, I’m getting some variable who is confusing my little beginners knowledge. This is after all my 1st experience with any cnc working….although managing considerably…ok !!

Anyway, may I ask some of you Motionking users your Mache motor tuning specs so I ( & some other too) may have some comparisons & basis to look at

Thanks in advance, Robert
Old Sun 04 April 2010, 23:26
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hi Robert. I play around with the setup from time to time, but I think I have Mach3 setup for Velocity at 8000 and Acceleration around 800. Will go to the shop later to check.
Old Mon 05 April 2010, 04:38
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Kobus…..thanks to reply !
I think you may slipped on the “o” button !!!!
Wouldn’t it be more like, velocity at 800 and acceleration at 80 !? or is it a rocket you have ???
ALSO, have you had to adjust the step &/or direction pulse ??
It seems I need to adjust those too for my set up, but cannot find proper description nor calculated values to refer to ??
Robert
Old Mon 05 April 2010, 05:28
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Robert, remember that Kobus would be set up in millimeters, not inches.
Old Mon 05 April 2010, 08:07
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Did nothing to the Step Puls and Dir Pulse setting there. As Gerald said I work in the NORMAL dimentions..
Old Fri 09 April 2010, 15:36
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Kobus, a couple of questions regarding MK motors:

1) do they came marked/engraved with their part number? I ask because I plan to purchase them locally and I dont want to receive something else "by mistake"

2) if you remember, what was your rationale for selecting the 9801 motor instead of the 9802? I prefer the 9802 due to it lower inductance.

Thanks!
Old Fri 09 April 2010, 23:16
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hi Pablo,

Each motor has a STICKER on it with the name MOTIONKING and the TYPE.

I think I asked the question on this forum or maybe I contacted Gecko directly....cannot remember exactly.... Gave the spec. of the 9801 and 9802 and got the answer back that the 9801 is more suited to the Gecko.
Old Sun 18 April 2010, 09:04
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
will ask again in their CNCZone forum, just to be sure
Old Sat 08 May 2010, 07:42
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Mariss just replied my question:

I asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEU
Im building my second router and I'm still undecided on what motor to select, narrowed down the selection to 2 units from Motionking, both are Nema34 and 8 wires:

Electrical Specifications (UNI-POLAR):

34HS9801
Rated Current: 4.0
Phase Resistance: 0.98 ohm
Phase Inductance: 4.1 mH
Holding Torque: 490 N.cm Min

and

34HS9802
Rated Current: 5.0
Phase Resistance: 0.65 ohm
Phase Inductance: 2.4 mH
Holding Torque: 490 N.cm Min
Here is his reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis
Motor #1 inductance is 4.1 mH. Motor #2 inductance is 2.4 mH. Both motors have the same holding torque which means both will have the same performance when driven with what they need. So, what do they need?:

Motor #1 has a maximum power supply voltage of V = 32*SQRT(4.1) or 65VDC
Motor #2 has a maximum power supply voltage of V = 32*SQRT(2.4) or 49VDC

Both motors will be identical in performance when driven with their respective maximum power supply voltages. Both voltages are within the specifications of the G203V drive. So how do you choose which one to use?

Model the G203V as a 0.25 Ohm resistor for thermal considerations. This will determine how big of a heatsink you will need.

Motor #1 is rated at 4A. I^2 * R is 4^2 * 0.25 or 4W of drive dissipation.
Motor #2 is rated at 5A. I^2 * R is 5^2 * 0.25 or 6.25W of drive dissipation.

Motor #2 will make the G203V drive dissipate 1.56 times more heat than Motor#1. At this point it seems Motor #2 is better; less drive heat, same performance.

But wait, there are other considerations. 49VDC is awfully close to 48VDC and there are very many inexpensive off-the-shelf 48VDC available. 48VDC is a standard voltage.

65VDC is not a standard voltage. You will pay extra and you will have a difficult time finding an economical 65VDC power supply. Meanwhile the 5A motor run from a 48VDC supply will generate 2.25W more (6.25W - 4W) heat in the G203V. This is a small difference. The G203V heatsink for the 5A will be only a little bit bigger than the one for the 4A motor.

If this was my problem? I would pick the 5A motor only because I could use a standard 48VDC power supply instead of a custom one. I would deal with the increased G203V heat by improving my heatsink. It would be cheaper solution than finding a 65VDC power supply.

Pick the 5A per phase motor.

Mariss
Thats is the 34HS9802

One less thing to think about will place order next week.

Im sure this info will help others too.
Old Sat 08 May 2010, 21:21
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Personally I didn't had any problems getting a transformation for that voltage. However I am just wondering if motors #2 needs other cables to allow for more current to each engine.
I 'though' however, that marris was asked a couple of years ago the same question and he picked Motor #1, that's why some people here are using the 34HS9801.

However, I think you can't go wrong with any of these steppers.
Old Sun 09 May 2010, 23:31
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
I'm using 86HS9801 which has identical specification as the 34HS9801.
65Vdc is not really an odd voltage. If you are thinking of building an unregulater conventional power supply from transformers. 65Vdc can be derive from a 48Vac secondary winding which is also a standard.
48Vac x SQRT(2) - 1.4V(bridge diode back voltage) = 66.5Vac , with other Voltage losses, you will have a very safe 65V to operate with. 100V capacitors are standard off the shelf product which you can use.
I got 63V from my home brew power supply unit & everthing runs as I expected.i.e. the temperature, speed, no lost steps... etc
I personally prefer running things at lower current rating, hence, higher voltage rating. Especially when running cables that are more then a meter. Others may have their preference.
Hope this helps.
Old Sat 15 May 2010, 03:11
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
One other reason I will go with the 9802 is because I can pull less than 30 volts from one leg of the transformer. This can then be regulated to less volts with simple voltage regulators.
Old Tue 29 June 2010, 06:58
guerd87
Just call me: John, Still trying to earn a #

Pakenham, VIC
Australia
Been doing a heap of reading latley on the MotionKing idea and am looking to get the Motors + Drives from MK. How have they been to order through? good reliable shipping?

Here is what I am looking at:

4 x 34HS9801 Steppers
4 x 2LA860

The Drivers are a copy of the Leadshine drive, that from all accounts, work quite well.

Here is the Manual - http://motionking.com/download/2LA86...tion_Rev.E.pdf

One thing I am worried about is the input from the BOB, The MK driver uses 2 pins per input (DIR, PUL and ENABLE) It uses one input from the commong VCC and then the other one is the ground form the BOB, is the correct way around to Mach3? I was thinking that the Mach3 Output would emit Positive pulses and the Common would be the GND?

Here is the pricing of the order direct from MK;

34HS9801, $55.00/pcs, 4pcs ------------------- $220.00
2LA860, $75.00/pcs, 4pcs ----------------------- $300.00
Express Freight Charge --------------------------- $220.00
PayPal Surcharge (5%) --------------------------- $37.00
SUM ------------------------------------------------------ $777.00

Which does seem quite good when comparing to the PK motors and 203v's that I was originally going to use. I mentioned the shipping was quite dear, but they argue that they dont make any profit off the shipping. I did read somewhere that someone had received free shipping of the drivers with the motors, So if i rock up to the party ready to buy they may throw something in.

(I am not saying that MK do bodge the price of shipping, but it seems quite expensive to me)

It has protection on the board, aswell as Built in Current setting. The microstepping is taken care of via a Jumper, what what be a good place to set this at?

Protection includes Over Volt, Over current, Temp and Short Circuit.

Any comments welcome, I am looking to order within 2 weeks

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read