MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Sun 14 September 2008, 04:07
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Did you get the motor to turn?

With a 42V supply, I guess you are going to wire them half-coil, and therefore only use the black & red coils? Or are you going parallel and pumping the full 7 Amps out of the Gecko?
Old Sun 14 September 2008, 06:04
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Chance is that I might go for half coil .Lets see what the performance of these motors are once the machine is running.We don`t know these motors so lets see what they can do.For now I am getting all the bits together for assembly.I still need to make the 32 tooth gears fit the shafts of the motors as the gearbox shaft is 16 mm dia.
I am nearly done with the control board for testing on the kitchen table.I must admit one thing is that I got stuck with the relay (8 pin ) for the router and extractor.For now it will be just for the show.
Old Sun 14 September 2008, 06:20
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
So the motors are not turning yet, and you don't know for sure you have those colours right? As I understand it there is big potential for smoke if the colours are guessed wrong (You may guess one coil opposite to what it should be - then the motor behaves like a dead short and the drive says *pop*)
Old Sun 14 September 2008, 06:32
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
A tip on figuring out the wiring:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/grou.../message/11986

If you want to feel how bad a shorted coil feels, twist all 8 wires together, or twist some white stripe together with its solid colour, and then try and turn by hand.

When your wires are connected to the drive, and the drive is still off, the motor should turn as easily as when no wires are connected to anything. If you can turn the motor fast enough, there will come a speed when it does lock up - that's when you have generated enough electricty to turn the turn the drive on.
Old Sun 14 September 2008, 06:41
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Another tip:
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/grou.../message/10798

Instead of shorting out, connect a multimeter across a pair of series coils and try to find the max voltage while turning by hand.
Old Sun 14 September 2008, 23:18
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Hey, The red wire looks pink!
Glad the frustration is over for you. On my side it is not going well. I was called out Saterdag to work to help the contractor set out some piping. First had to show him which was the right side up of the drawing. On Sunday Eskom did some unplanned maitenance on the lines. Power only came on at six. Have a nice week!
Old Mon 15 September 2008, 03:11
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Once my MM is running I am going to fit generators on each axis to power my workshop with the amount of work on hand I might just as well sell electicity.
Old Mon 15 September 2008, 06:31
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Ag OKAY man I am doing my best, but one man can only turn one generator at a time.
Old Tue 16 September 2008, 03:08
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
This is what solved Hennie's colour problem:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FL86ST125-3508AG3-MOTOR.pdf (66.6 KB, 179 views)
Old Thu 18 September 2008, 23:31
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hennie, sorry I was away for 2 day's on the road checking up on projects and fighting with contractors trying to deliver sub-standard work. As discussed on the telephone the other day:

To wire up my router to the relay I did the following: On the Mach 3 BOB I put a short wire between 24v and the first pin on the no 17 relay. The Relay coil then get's wired up to the Gnd and the other pin of no.17 connector.

In Mach3 I went to the Output Signals and put a tick next to ENABLE 1 with Pin Number 17
Also ticked is option OUTPUT #1 and next to it put in PIN 17.

Now when Mach 3 runs the code my router starts automatically.
Old Fri 19 September 2008, 05:25
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Thanks Kobus.

All the wiring is done I will switch on this weekend and test, just need to put current set resistors in once they are in town.Got so desperate that I am using some fishing hooks for current set resistors.Must say this is one thing I miss from the Big town in the north,there is no such luxury of walking into a shop and get what you want.

Just finished grinding the last x -rail bevels,now My shop will be clean again.
Old Wed 24 September 2008, 09:56
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
She Is Live!!!

With tears in my eyes I saw the leds go on,with the nervous feeling as if it is the birth of my children hoping everything is ok.No smoke Mach turns all motors.My third child has given her first hartbeat She is allive and well.

Kitchen table project complete!
Old Wed 24 September 2008, 10:37
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Mooi gedaan jong seun!
Old Wed 24 September 2008, 22:39
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
No smoke ?....boring !!!! To get more speed out of your MM you don't have to switch the Primary and Secondary wires on your transformer around ...just a joke between Hennie and myself.

Well done now show us some dust in the next week.
Old Wed 24 September 2008, 22:45
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Jou grootste mylpaal is gehaal! Geluk man! I beter move my butt!
Old Wed 24 September 2008, 23:17
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Dankie !

Had to check up this morning if it was still ok.
"Ja Kobus as dit nie was vir fuses nie"
Old Thu 25 September 2008, 11:18
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Goed gedaan hennie, Ek dog jy het gese jy gaan dinge a bietjie stadig vat, ek will nie sien as jy volstoom werk nie
Old Thu 25 September 2008, 13:15
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Moet die masjien klaar kry,werkers begin nou sleg raak naby aan die einde van die jaar.MY beste nog vir `n maand was 28 huise kombuise en bic`s met graniet.
(need to get my MM finished for the end of the Year workers are getting lazy,it is a thing that happens every year once the "Ber" months starts.)(September, October,November,Desember)
How far is your build Alan?
Old Sun 05 October 2008, 05:43
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
What to do when one gets board ?

Since there were no action over the last 3 days let me put some pic`s on the forum !
I tried it and got it right!
My interpretation of turning v rollers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 224.jpg (20.2 KB, 1590 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 226.jpg (25.7 KB, 1588 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 228.jpg (13.7 KB, 1592 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 229.jpg (17.5 KB, 1597 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 230.jpg (14.3 KB, 1599 views)
Old Sun 05 October 2008, 09:02
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Dit lyk goed! Dit sal goed werk.
Old Sun 05 October 2008, 09:32
kaartman
Just call me: Koning #20

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Nice for a first try, I wanted to paint my MM this past week but took the family on a road trip of 3 120km from Abu Dhabi to Salalah (Oman), best holiday I had in 10 years.
Old Sun 05 October 2008, 10:28
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
You took that first pic at 6.44am on a Sunday?? Did the missus make you sleep in the garage again??

That wheel will give you lots of good service. (havn't worn out our mild steel experimental wheel yet - it is on a y-car)

That mandrel you used in the lathe chuck is exactly the right way to get the V-groove true to the bore!
Old Sun 05 October 2008, 11:17
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
No that wasn`t the first try! it was wheel no 10 the first four are on the gantry.I have used 32 mm od bearings on them .

Gerald what do you mean with sleeping in the garage,I have moved into the garage two wheeks ago.I am at that stage of the build where I need to finish or I will exit by the garage door for good.
(not even a cup of java makes the wife smile at that time of the morning)
Old Tue 07 October 2008, 12:25
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
Oman is the most beautiful country in the world! I visit Muscat often. Never been to Salala but I have to make a plan to go there as well. The Omanis are the friendliest ever.

Kaartman, if you're home, I am in DXB next two weeks.
Old Wed 08 October 2008, 13:11
nicoferreira
Just call me: Nico

George
South Africa
Hi Hennie - So hoe staan sake met die laaste paar parte , motor aan en die nuwe " V " rollers ?
Cheers Nico
Old Thu 09 October 2008, 23:30
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Nico ,I was busy working this week but will do the last 4 wheels this weekend then I can start final assembly.

I played with the motors the other night after work the settings was slow on them so I increased the speed and hey these things go I cant`t wait to get them on the table.
Old Mon 13 October 2008, 13:28
nicoferreira
Just call me: Nico

George
South Africa
Hi Hennie
Thanks for the info - maybe some more photos of the latest progress - a photo speaks a k works .

I also hooked up a small version - desk top router - as a start to get me into the swing of things and to test a few programs and options.

Mach3 for motor control works great, no problem with a 392 000 lines program of over 11 MB never missed a step - and that was on an old 600MHz pc with WIN 2K - What control program do you plan to use ?

Anyway - keep up the good work.

Cheers Nico
Old Mon 13 October 2008, 22:54
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Mach 3
Old Mon 13 October 2008, 23:48
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
I managed to find a workshop for my machine, I can move in from next week so I will be assembling it from Monday.

I have a question to anybody that knows.Would it be a problem to fit the control box under the machine as once the gantry starts moving and stopping it does vibrate.would it be good for the electrical components?

It looks good and neat under the machine but with the machine working every day I don`t want a surprise nine months down the line.
Old Tue 14 October 2008, 00:37
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
G' always suggests it to be separate due to dust issues - mine will be that way.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts