MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Thu 20 September 2012, 17:38
shanemshaffer
Just call me: Julio

FL
United States of America
Florida 6' by 20' table

I have been researching, for the last 2 weeks, cnc machines. I am going to be building a table 6 foot by 20 foot and z axis will be fixed. From what some people have told me I should be looking at a nema34 motor and rack and pinion setup with a pulley setup. I was also told to use a gecko 540. Beyond this I need help and any advice that can be given. I will be using the table with a marker to draw out patterns on fabric and when I can buy a laser, I will be using a laser to cut out the fabric, paragliding material. Still learning and researching lasers also. Thank you for any help you all can provide.
Old Thu 20 September 2012, 20:08
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Julio!

Have a look at this build
20' long table, 5HP spindle - Port Aransas, USA

I think that one is the same ballpark in size.
Old Thu 20 September 2012, 20:54
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Julio,
When you say "fixed" z axis, your still going to need the z to articulate up and down for marker contact like a pen plotter. The laser will require you to have adjustable height due to beam convergence and focus to properly cut the fabric, kevlar, carbon fiber or other textile.
My recommendation is that you build a standard table with a standard z. One for functionality, two for resale value.

The additional cost will be minimal since the G540 already supports the correct number of drives within it's shell.

Welcome to the club and good luck!

Sean
Old Thu 20 September 2012, 21:27
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Julio,

Your z will not have to move much but I think it will depend on the laser.
Old Thu 20 September 2012, 21:40
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Julio,
IF your decision on fixed Z-axis is cost orientated, I would say it is insignificant to the total built cost. you could probably save more on the cable chain, paint job & limit switches.
Old Thu 20 September 2012, 23:45
shanemshaffer
Just call me: Julio

FL
United States of America
For laser it will not move, but yes will move about 2 inches for marker. I plan on making this for myself and don't plan on reselling, but good idea. Still trying to figure out how to do laser
Old Sat 22 September 2012, 20:05
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Welcome to the forum. If you are lucky you might be able to see a Mechmate in action if you live close to one of the many builders here.

I have to agree with the others on having an adjustable height Z axis. Until you are able to purchase a laser you could always use a drag knife.

This video shows it cutting throught leather. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMoRU...feature=relmfu

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts