MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Rails & Rollers
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 23 October 2013, 22:49
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Depth of cut

I haven't finished my first machine, but I would really like to build a deep cut design. I wonder what needs to be changed to handle rigidity issues. The mechmate really is a well design machine. I began to form this opinion when I pieced together the z-axis tray. All the parts fit and interlocked forming a base for the z-axis. Well, I can't wait to get out there tomorrow and finish another task. One last thought on the Mechmate. It is a total sweat equity project. I now see why fellow builders have pride of ownership and I really appreciate their advise.
Old Thu 24 October 2013, 07:43
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
When you say "deep" and "rigidity" you bring up the question of how precise do you want to cut?

The machine is very rigid, but when cutting deep, your cutter, z-axis and other things are able to show vibration or "lack of tolerance" due to runout, bearing-to-z axis engagement and a bunch of other things that to most in the CNC wood and foam routing machines are "precise" enough.

I personally was able to get fantastic results with the 48" stroke z by just making a new spider with 2 more bearings at the top to keep the extended moment flex down.

How deep are you trying to go? Is it further than the extended stroke version of the machine?
Old Thu 24 October 2013, 15:24
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
River Deep Mountain High (Tina Turner)

Doesn't sound like I will have much problem. Adding the additional bearings is definitely a good idea. Making a longer z-axis won't be hard and adding the bearings is easy. All I have to do is find my spider. That thing has crawled into a corner and is hiding from me.
Old Thu 24 October 2013, 16:51
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Sean, are you using a total of 6 bearings or 8?
Old Thu 24 October 2013, 19:14
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Deep Cut for 6 foot box

I know it is a little creepy but I wanted to make a couple coffins for Halloween. I watched a youtube video where a guy made custom coffins for people. fyi... where is the cheapest place to buy a coffin and have it delivered to your house, Walmart online.
I
Old Fri 25 October 2013, 13:28
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Tom,
on the 48" slide I am using 8 on a custom, rebuilt spider.
On the standard and extended slide 6 like the normal

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...&postcount=470

This picture on the link is missing the bottom 2 that were not installed at the time during my retractable spring set up.

Last edited by smreish; Fri 25 October 2013 at 13:32..
Old Sat 26 October 2013, 00:39
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
One down 3 to go

Well after all my groaning and moaning I went out this afternoon and started grinding the x axis. It didn't take that long. It took more time to keep changing the disks. I ran out of disks and decided to leave the mosquitoes to them selves. I headed to Harbor freight for more disk. Tomorrow morning I will finish cutting and start drilling holes to mount the rail. I will warn any of you that will be doing this. Wear gloves and be careful of very sharp edges.
Old Sat 26 October 2013, 17:52
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Skate Free

Well the mosquitoes let me finish cutting all the rails. I was able to run a 7 inch flapper disk over them a get a coat of paint on them. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to drill and mount them.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read