MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > General - MM Operating
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 29 December 2013, 03:02
litemover
Just call me: Chris

Auckland
New Zealand
Too much tape?

Hi all,
I'm needing to tape my workpiece which is a 48x96" slab of 3/4" thick black cast acrylic. I'm using a double sided tape that I normally use for attaching flooring onto stages which can't be damaged, called Polyken 105. It's extremely aggressive tape, yet leaves no residue behind when pulling up the flooring. I've never used it though on a 150lb slab of acrylic before and am concerned it may not come up well. It holds a .25" thick piece of MDF fairly intensely.

Anyone know how difficult is it to pull up the bottom sheet of plastic off the acrylic should it stick too much?

Here is a pic of my tape pattern.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Cheers,
Chris

image hosting 20mb
Old Sun 29 December 2013, 13:24
swatkins
Just call me: Steve

Houston
United States of America
That looks like a lot of tape and a big problem in the making... I use those types of tape on different projects and sometimes it is very hard to remove without using a flat bar...

How about placing a 2" wide 1/2" thick piece of wood around the perimeter and just a few pieces of tape in the middle... Maybe shim the underside of the plastic with cardboard the same thickness of the tape to keep it flat...

Looks like a very expensive piece of material to take a chance with...

Good Luck!
Old Sun 29 December 2013, 13:48
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Yes, thanks for the the advice. I think I'll take some of it off for sure and possibly shim too.

Chris.
Old Sun 29 December 2013, 17:12
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
And be sure not to leave the taped piece overnight, then it could be bye bye table
Old Sun 29 December 2013, 18:27
swatkins
Just call me: Steve

Houston
United States of America
Since you already have the tape on I would just leave it... Just don't pull off the protective tape and it will act as a shim..

Just pull the protective tape off on a few center pieces to keep the center stable... That and outside cleats should work very well..
Old Sat 04 January 2014, 09:44
fixtureman
Just call me: jerry

ohio
United States of America
What size bit are you using? If it is .25 or bigger you could leave an onion skin and not tape it just screw it down in areas that are not cut. I use an amana 3/16 flush trim bit to cut the onion skin and finish it off.
Old Sat 04 January 2014, 13:45
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Hey all,

Just wanted to say, the tape was particularly useful, and continues to be. It's a no residue tape called Polyken 105. I usually use it to tape flooring to house stages that can't be damaged in the process. It's the only stuff that doesn't leave a residue that I've found. And it is particularly aggressive. I took most of the tape off of the workpiece, and just used little bits. Plus vacuum hold own, and it worked well. I've been using it on smaller pieces without hold own and it works very well.

For both cutting and onion skinning, I'm using Onsrud 1/4" Super O flute, up and and down cut. 64-025 and 65-025, or something. I cut in .080" depths, then take off a full onion skin of .015". Seems to work well.

Cheers,
Chris

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read