MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > General - MM Operating
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 24 November 2008, 23:26
robertmonroe
Just call me: Robert

El Paso
United States of America
Question Can MechMate rout this part?

The part is a mold for a vacuum forming machine and is approximately 2'x8'.

Can MechMate rout this part?

Robert had the pictures linked to an outside server where they no longer exist

The convex crown on the face of mold is what I wonder if MechMate can shape.

Robert Turner

Last edited by robertmonroe; Mon 24 November 2008 at 23:28..
Old Mon 24 November 2008, 23:34
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
All routers (not only the MM) can shape that part, but leave tiny ridges on the convex part that need to be sanded off by hand, or orbital/belt sander. You decide how big you will allow the ridges - smaller ridges take much longer time.

There is no router in the world that will give you a smooth finish on a convex part.
Old Sat 16 May 2009, 09:33
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Flexable Sanding?

Sorry for responding to an older thread, but I was wondering if it would be possible to 'sand' a curved surface with a 'special sanding tool'?

I was wondering if it might be possible to make a 'sanding tool'. Something soft like foam rubber that is easily deformable but will bounce back, and cover the outside with something similar to a 'Scotch Brite' scratcher or 'steel wool'. Hopefully this cutting layer would be replacable. These could be rotated SLOWLY (no more than 20 to 50 RPM) depending on size. Of course, all this is just guessing.

You have the same technical decisions about toolo choices like tool size, path overlap, dust removal, etc that you have with any tool, but it should be oriented toward handling fine sanding dust rather than 'chips'.

This might not be the most reasonable for the pro's whose life depends on production, but for hobbyists it might be a reasonable alternative that could give great surfaces.

What do you think? Someone want to prototype it? Does someone make something similar? If someone does this or has one, post a picture or a few please!
Old Sat 16 May 2009, 15:49
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Jack

When I was at LIGNA 2 years ago we looked for and found exactly what you are describing, but the "tool" is designed to work at router speeds and fits into the magazine of the big iron machines along with the other tooling. There are various methods of making the tool, some are custom made to the profile desired and then abrasive is attached, another one I saw had a tool blank with little plastic moulded caps that were covered with abrasive, these were held on with a patent arrangement. We decided not to go for it for various reasons, but they would be suited to some situations.

I dont have my brochure file with me at home but will look it up on Monday and post some links - there were German, Italian and Spanish companies doing them.
Old Mon 18 May 2009, 02:23
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Have a look at these sites, Rosales of Spain, and Ariminius Tooling of Germany. That will give you some idea of what is possible.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read