MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > General - MM Operating
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 11 January 2010, 14:49
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Question How do you make solid wood doors?

I have no woodworking background other than some simple work at home, in advance to making my MM in the near future, I would like to know some tricks from more experienced users.

I want to know how to make a solid wood door

Look at some very nice examples here: http://www.portae.info/DUgallery/type.asp?iType=34

Im sure these aren't made from a solid piece, because there aren't trees that wide Im sure there is some clever joinery to make them look like a solid piece. Anyone knows a tutorial on how these are made?
The MM its suitable of doing this work for sure, I know it takes a lot of time, but these doors, when done nicely can fetch $1000's

I want to learn, can you guys teach me?

Thanks!
Old Mon 11 January 2010, 16:41
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Pablo those are raised panel doors. Check out these links for more info, pictures are worth a thousand words. You could do the rails and styles on a router table and then do the carving on the center sections with the MM. There are also programs for CNC (Free doors is one) that you can use to route look alike doors from solid wood (mdf etc). Entry doors are similar, they just use larger rails and styles.

Rasied Panel Doors

Or Here

Google is your friend for more reading.
Old Mon 11 January 2010, 17:18
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
that was the missing link "Raised Panel Doors", I didn't knew the term

Thanks
Old Mon 11 January 2010, 18:28
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
No problem, they are actually fun to make. Hoping to dress mine up with my MM when its finished.
Old Mon 11 January 2010, 19:53
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I just finished watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEtFvFwsaHY

It explains in great detail what I wanted to learn, now I guess I should start looking for router cutters
Old Mon 11 January 2010, 19:56
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Pablo, that is a good video. Please be aware that most bits on the market are for cabinet doors. For entry doors, they are a little different as you need the profile on both sides. They are available though. The entry doors are of course thicker as well. Hennie is the expert in this department here I believe.
Old Mon 11 January 2010, 20:49
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Well, lets wait for his advise, yours has been great

I guess you are referring to this kind of cutter right? http://www.freud-tools.com/fr99enindoro.html

Pablo

Last edited by PEU; Mon 11 January 2010 at 20:54..
Old Mon 11 January 2010, 22:40
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Pablo, to do cabinet doors those router cutters should do the job keep in mind the amount of doors you are going to make and how many times you can sharpen the cutter.Each time you sharpen the cutter you need to change the shimms on the cutter to accomodate the tennon to fit flush.If you are going to pump out volumes get a spindle with a feeder as you get a better even cut along the length of your rails and styles.The MM should do the job on cutting the inside pannel with the right cutting file.I am currently busy playing with a cutting file for the raised pannel doors by using 3 cutters,must say get enough wood to practice on before you go into production.I would say that if you are going to do a once off door as per the link above go for the router tip set with a good hand held router and cut the inside raised pannel on the MM.
Old Mon 11 January 2010, 23:09
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
If you really want solid wood front doors, are your trees are not wide enough, then there are techniques for joining planks. An important technique, with an unusual name is a biscuit joint.

Samples of solid wood doors - these are 80" tall by 47" wide
Old Sat 23 January 2010, 13:40
Johannescnc
Just call me: John

Hannover, DE
Germany
I used biscuits on miter joints for door and window casing. very easy to work with. but you don't need the special tool to make them when you have a MechMate!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read