MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > General - MM Operating
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 06 July 2009, 18:10
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
That's brilliant Gerald.
Old Mon 06 July 2009, 21:05
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Gereld,
Will proceed exactly as you said..... Now, we are really getting some where!!1

Cheers
Old Tue 07 July 2009, 11:04
funkalicious
Just call me: Andy

Burlington,VT
United States of America
I attended the Maker Faire in San Mateo and met the folks from Ponoko.com
his business is concentrated maily in the jewelry business and he would like to make the leap to CNC machining of wood. Ikea has a presence in lage metro areas but not in smaller hamlets and villages across America.

They started by selling 32mm designed melamine over chipboard. Thermwood has tried building a collective that refers busines to business CNC.
But this approach has been limited in my view to selling consumables to shops. I have wondered about a collective of shops that would be available to cut cabinet and shelving etc.. that would be a Cell type company that would cut out shipping cost. Ponoko uses a platform that is designer driven a designer creates something that can be laser cut. and Ponoko is the store front.. if the design sells great if not it rots on the vine and loses shelf space.

Similarly a company could be formed by an association or cooperative of MM machines. With an invitation to design groups and an Etsy store front.
flat pack designs would be encouraged, the beauty of CNC is a prefinished
slab can be cut packed and shipped. This approach could be a low cost marketing that would pull product out of the shops.

Anyone think this would work?
Old Tue 07 July 2009, 14:46
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
The ShopBot 1000 Garages is built on this idea. I don't know if they are having any success and currently the only people that can participate are ShopBot CNC machines. They won't talk to you unless you are a ShopBotter.

I like the concept but you have to have a product that is in demand and has a large appeal.

The LinkerLogs has also set a forum to supply them to people interested but I know they have not had any takers.

If you can find the right product or industry, it is some thing I would be interested in.
Old Tue 07 July 2009, 21:01
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
ShopBot is very much about "social engineering" rather than their machine itself. Forming groups and creating websites is their thing - it is supposed to be the hold hands and feel good experience. Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbaya.

But somebody has to get dirty and do the darn work. I can't understand why so many people get these CNC machines because they want to break out of the corporate world, and then they set about seeking to build corporates again.
Old Wed 08 July 2009, 13:40
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
oh my....Amen Rev. Gerald. Amen
Old Thu 09 July 2009, 06:01
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
I agree with Gerald. For those from the 'corporate world' it seems to be the 'easy fit'. They buy it as a cnc appliance, use it like they want, they still have a 'help desk' to call, and the online 'water cooler' in their forums. Even 'conferences' for continuing training like the 'shopbot jamboree's, etc. ... It isn't quite like a tuperware party, but it does tend that way. ... Not a bad way to go, but obviously not for everyone. It is a more $$ way, imho.

I guess I can understand the small sign shop or hobbiest wanting the 'one source appliance' model with support available.
Old Fri 10 July 2009, 05:34
mrghm
Just call me: Gareth

Syd
Australia
since shopbot is now in bed with ecabnets from thermwood, they have got a full list of standard products to manufacter with zero design cost.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read