MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 25 July 2010, 19:26
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
This has been picking at the back of my head for months now. I knew I read it or seen it. Well I was able to find both. I had to dig into the SB forums. I understand all of the mechanics but the code still has me for a loop. I looked for hours on their site for the PP but with no luck. They have it on lock down.

Well anyways here is 2 videos of what I am trying to achieve. Notice that the air to the drill stops before retraction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7HK4Lks2J0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmYlwc4Cmlw
Old Sat 31 July 2010, 13:49
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
If you're using Mach, just set up two macros, one to activate an output, and one to deactivate it. Call the first one, drill the hole, call the second, retract.
There are a couple ways to drill the hole. You can just use a G1, or you can use one of the drilling cycles.
Old Sat 31 July 2010, 14:46
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Ger,

Will Mach all the first macro to call the second?
Old Sat 31 July 2010, 16:11
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
Not if the drilling operation is in between. You can use one macro to do everything, if the holes are the same depth.
Old Mon 09 August 2010, 05:49
relicaexpo1
Just call me: relica

delhi
India
hiiiii....
nice information.
thanks

regards,
relicaexpo
Old Fri 12 November 2010, 21:11
islaww
Just call me: Gary C

UP of Michigan
United States of America
Hey Guys...
Some time back I had a few email and phone conversations with Mike Richards concerning these drills. Mike (MM username Richards) was instrumental in helping me develop the custom files (ShopBot equivalent of Gcode M code) that allowed the drills to operate. In fact, without his input, the first drill would have been seriously delayed, or may never have worked at all. That first drill was an inline CP drill motor mounted on an air slide table that was controlled by a single triggered output and retracted when a prox switch that indicated full depth was triggered. (SB legacy custom8) This drill was mounted piggy back style by drilling and tapping into the air chamber of the HSD spindle and was plunged by air and depth was set by the Z axis.

Some months later I learned of the ARO brand industrial self feed drill. Experimentation showed that this unit was far superior in every way to my existing setup and were readily available at online aution sites. It took some time to figure out proper control as very few of these units have valve bodies for remote solenoid control. This is mandatory for CNC use. Once that hurdle was crossed, the ARO drill was operational using the same files (Custom8) as the CP inline drill. An example of this style of control (SB PRT Hybrid) is here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1#p/u/3/Tr5TvVV5YNE

The next version of drill control came about as a result of an advance in the SB3 software. A parameter could be set that allowed an output to be triggered when the Z axis plunged. This was a great feature for my drills, but was intended to allow users of the OEM SB drill to conserve air, as this drill remained on thruout the complete drilling section of the file. (see link to OEM SB drill video post#3) The 2 links in post#31 are (top) a SB drill with my control added and (bottom) my drills. As this action is hard coded in the SB3software, I dont think it is a viable option for Mach or WinCNC users.

In the past 2 years I have sold a couple dozen of these retrofitted ARO drills, most of them with the piggyback bracket shown in the video of my machine. I am not sure that this mounting style would work with the MM gantry, but a number of them are working on SB PRT's. Since these drills are available all over the world from industrial salvage sites, I thought I would post some info that might get those that are teetering over the hump.

You can mount using 2 options.
1) direct to the Ycar. depth would be set by a thumbscrew and is controlled by a single solenoid and a prox switch or timing loop (if available in an M code) plunge speed is set by a needle valve on the valve body. This, to me, is the least desirable option, but hundreds of users have similar in operation.

2) Piggyback on the Z axis. Depth is controlled by the Z using offsets, plunge speed is set for the tool and plunge is accomlished by the Z axis. Control is by 2 solenoids. (Version a) One that plunges the drill at the beginning of the drilling section of the file and another that starts the drill motor and then turns it off after the hole is at full depth. (version b) the air motor is turned on at the beginning of the file and runs till the drilling section is complete.

Hopefully those interested will find this info useful. I applogize to those who dont and also for the length of the post. I also appolgize for my ignorance of Gcode and MM electromechanics, and as such can only give general info. I would be willing to forward info on these to someone willing to develop these for use on the MM. PM or my email: CaseWorxMfg (@)gmail(dot)com
Gary Campbell
Old Sat 13 November 2010, 01:27
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gary,

That is a pretty fancy drilling system. And since I only discovered you are on the site, welcome to our world and we appreciate you sharing all your efforts with us.
Old Sat 13 November 2010, 05:58
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Gary, thanks for sharing this info & your contribution on the MM forum !

Amiclament, Robert
Old Sat 13 November 2010, 07:34
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Thanks !! That is a great system.
Old Sat 13 November 2010, 20:28
islaww

UP of Michigan
United States of America
Guys...
Thanks for the welcome. For panel processing the drill is one of the lesser expensve ways to add tooling without an ATC.

In post#32 Ger mentions a macro for switching outputs on and off. Can someone tell me if a macro can be written to do the following?

Switch an output ON
Sense input of a prox on drill plunge
Switch output off when prox is triggered.
(option) return error if prox does not trigger in preset time (timing loop)

This would offer control for drills that use air to plunge.

Another option :
2 axis rapid move to drilling x,y position
Output on (air motor)
z plunge to hole depth (with drill z offset)
retract Z
output off

This would offer control for z plunge

There are some other scenarios to make this work, but without input from someone that knows gcode macro programming, they are difficult to explain.

any ideas?
Old Sun 14 November 2010, 17:44
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...did you consider adding a second z-axis to the MM Y-car. It is designed to hold a second spider and slide. See below link for 2 z's in the car.

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...7&postcount=54
Old Sun 14 November 2010, 18:09
islaww

UP of Michigan
United States of America
Sean...
I am not looking to develop (or sell) any of these drills. I have noticed that Mike Richards has given a lot to this forum, as he has to me. To "pay some back" to Mike, I was hoping to get the info that I have for CNC controlled drills into the hands of someone with MechMate and Gcode knowledge so that users here could possibly implement them. Hopefully someone will step forward.

I have found that there is no need to add a second Z to add 1 or 2 of these drills. The mass of the dual drill setup is not recommended unless a fairly robust drive system is in place. In SB terms, they will work fine on an alpha, but not a standard. The standard can use the single with no problem. I dont know how those (SB) specs correlate to what MM builders are using.

I installed 2 of these ARO's on my dual Z machine. In the videos you can see I never added the second spindle. Had I known, I would have saved the money for the second Z and used a dual setup on a single Z machine.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read