MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 01 October 2007, 15:13
coogrrr
Just call me: Coogrrr

Washington
United States of America
Router speed control

Since this is the router area I use a Hitachi that has a dial speed controller. I think that the milwaukie and the hitachi are the same btw Can I wire that dial speed controller in the top of the hitachi/milwaukie to the electronics of my cnc?

Thoughts?

Coog
Old Wed 03 October 2007, 09:55
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Out of curiosity, could anyone sketch a typical scenario where they want the router to make speed changes while they are not near to the machine?
Old Wed 03 October 2007, 11:18
Bill McGuire
Just call me: Bill

Weiser, Idaho
United States of America
"...want the router to make speed changes..."
This may not help, but Harbor Freight has a variable speed router control for twenty dollars. I don't know if it can be adapted for this use...
Bill McGuire
Old Wed 03 October 2007, 11:29
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Folk must be aware that reducing the router's speed with the typical speed controller, leads to a very significant drop in torque. The only way to recover torque at low speed is with belt pulleys or gears. You can't leave your car in top gear and then try to drive at 10mph by using the gas pedal as the only controller. Spindles almost maintain their torques at low speeds - but they do loose HP (power)
Old Thu 04 October 2007, 06:55
coogrrr
Just call me: Coogrrr

Washington
United States of America
using an electronic speed controller is for a couple of things. 1 is to set the speed in the gcode for the material selected and 2 is to turn on/off the router at the beginning and end of the gcode also.

It would be nice to get control completely in mach3 is all.

Coog

Last edited by coogrrr; Thu 04 October 2007 at 06:59..
Old Thu 04 October 2007, 09:18
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
One quick input, then I'm gone for a week to the mountains .

I still don't see a reason for speed controller speed control. Maybe your cutting one material, and then transition to another material of different density. It seems like allot of work for a little return. Just thinking out loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrrr View Post
using an electronic speed controller is for a couple of things. 1 is to set the speed in the gcode for the material selected and 2 is to turn on/off the router at the beginning and end of the gcode also.

Coog
Gerald's original question - could anyone sketch a typical scenario where they want the router to make speed changes while they are not near to the machine?
Old Thu 04 October 2007, 09:42
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrrr View Post
It would be nice to get control completely in mach3 is all.
1. Yes, you need to set the speed for the MATERIAL selected. GCode does not select the material. You select the material while you are right at the table. Well then, since you are there, why not turn a knob? You could even tweak the knob for the cutter sharpness, or for the knot in the wood that the cutter is about to pass through - the gcode knows nothing about the sharpness and knots, so it can't make an informed pre-programmed choice.

2. "turn on/off the router at the beginning and end of the gcode" That is something completely different to a speed control - that is a simple relay, that function is already built in.

An automatically speed controlled router makes sense if you have an automatic tool-changer, but you havn't mentioned this so I don't think you really need to go all trouble to twiddle a pot (2 ports, driver, etc.). Bear in mind what I said before - you loose lots of torque. So you might want to go for a VFD controlled spindle . . . . . . .
Old Fri 05 October 2007, 04:00
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Pot Driven by stepper Speed Control Board
Old Fri 22 February 2008, 10:14
DMS
Just call me: Sharma #9 India

Rajasthan
India
Copied from another thread:

Thanks Gerald,
One more question, I think I am not bothering you.
Should I go for Makita 3612 C (2300watt (3hp) Eletronic control) or Makita (60mm plunge depth, 1,850 watts (2.5hp))

http://www.makitaindia.com/beta/desc...12C&category=5
http://www.makitaindia.com/beta/desc...2BR&category=5

I am asking you because I have read in forum somewhere that Electronic control should be removed while mounting router.

Regards.
Old Fri 22 February 2008, 10:34
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
We use the 3612C (with the handles removed) - it starts okay with normal relay or contactor. I don't know if a Solid State Relay (SSR) will start it. It is a good, tough router.
Old Fri 22 February 2008, 10:43
DMS

Rajasthan
India
Thanks Gerald,
If the Dial up variable speed:9000-23000rpm is usable of this router in Mechmate ?
Old Fri 22 February 2008, 11:22
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I don't know if I understand your question. You definitely want to have variable speed. I don't see how it can work with one speed only. Cutters have a big range of diameters - small ones turn fast, big ones go slow.
Old Fri 22 February 2008, 18:38
DMS

Rajasthan
India
Gerald.
Like spindle one can set rpm while cutting (while gantry moving) through VFD if cutting speed doesn't look satisfactory for a particular job. But since electronic contol of router is on router itself, how one can set rpm while cutting job is going on ?
rpm of router can be set before job work starts, but if it is not slow or fast enough then how to set router rpm again - (1) pause - set rpm - resume. (2) or any other method.

I don't know if it is a dumb question, I asked because right now I don't know and I don't want to regret later if I am shy away.

Regards,
Old Fri 22 February 2008, 21:03
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Speed control during cutting with the router will be as you are thinking - stop the cutting, change the speed, start the cutting. Unless you can reach the control on the router with your hand (seldom easy).

For the spindle, Mach has got a facility to change the speed from the keyboard. But, if we use the parallel cable and PMDX-122, we cannot use that facility. You need diffent hardware to get the spindle speed to work from Mach3.

However, with the spindle, it is easy to reach the VFD's control while the machine is cutting.
Old Fri 22 February 2008, 21:32
cobra427mnsi
Just call me: Paul

Leamington, Ontario
Canada
I have had several variable speed routers apart, over the years, to change bearings. I remember the speed control as being a separate electronic device incorporated into the router body. I wonder if it is possible to remove the speed control and install it in a remote (from the router) easily accessible position. Don't know if it is possible. Just a thought.

Paul
Old Sat 23 February 2008, 02:36
DMS

Rajasthan
India
If speed control unit is separable than there is a possibility that this can be mounted with push buttons on gantry.
Old Sat 23 February 2008, 02:50
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
One can buy general purpose speed controllers for small power tools (similar to light dimmers), but there could be a huge difference in quality between different types that may result in damage to the tool.

. . . . . had to say that before the classic discussion on speed controllers starts all over again

Sharma, I don't know if the Makita controller can be moved easily - will you let us know?
Old Sat 23 February 2008, 02:52
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Paul, the Milwaukee controller uses a feedback signal from a speed sensor on the shaft. But there is a company that does a special remote speed control for the Milwaukee.
Old Sat 23 February 2008, 03:05
DMS

Rajasthan
India
Gerald,
Right now I don't have one. When I have one I am definately experimenting with it.
Here is exploded view of 3612 C, part no. 3 is control unit, which can be extended upto gantry side.
Any comments ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3612C_2.pdf (824.0 KB, 143 views)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read