MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 26 July 2008, 23:40
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
Has anyone considered mounting spot welding electrodes?

http://www.sunstoneengineering.com/s...p2007datasheet

I'm researching the build process of converting cars to electric power. This is most commonly done with lead-acid golf-cart batteries of 6v. The massive weight of these units poses a big performance challenge.

Because of these performance drawbacks, builders are increasingly creating packs from LiFePO4 cells. A comparable pack will occupy 1/4 of the space, can be packed into nooks and crannies that lead acid batteries will not fit, and will weigh 50%-70% less.

The downside (aside from their greater cost - about 5x that of lead-acid) is that it takes 1000 of these cells (about twice the size of a "D" size battery) to create the average pack, each of which needs to be spot-welded together, like a bigger cordless phone battery pack. Eight separate welds for each cell.

You see where I'm going with this.

It'd be cool to set the cells in a fixture, place the tabs in the appropriate places, index the welding electrode to the proper starting position, and stand back and let a machine make the 8000, repeatable and uniform spot welds.
Old Sun 27 July 2008, 00:53
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I cannot see any reason why this will not work. My only concern would be electrical interference, but good grounding and screening/shielding should take care of that.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read