MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 10 May 2009, 05:53
Jayson
Just call me: Jayson #18

Horsham
Australia
Hi Basil,

Roughly AU$4700 to date. Cheap at half the price

Jayson.
Old Sun 10 May 2009, 16:19
Basilica
Just call me: Basil

Wirrinya (NSW)
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
Hi Basil,

Roughly AU$4700 to date. Cheap at half the price

Jayson.
Thanks for that Jayson,

Concerning getting your VFD and EMC2 to talk to each other.
I can program software and have experience with EMC.
Can i assist you?

Cheers
Basil
Old Mon 11 May 2009, 02:51
Jayson

Horsham
Australia
Thanks for the offer Basil. A week ago I would have given you the job, but I think I have it sorted out. I would not want anyone that knows how to program to see what a mess I made of things to get the results I wanted though...

Jayson.
Old Tue 12 May 2009, 01:49
Basilica
Just call me: Basil

Wirrinya (NSW)
Australia
Glad you got it sorted.
Most clients of programmers never see the source code either.
So they don't see what a mess we made of things to get the results they wanted.
But do not tell anyone.
Old Sat 13 June 2009, 04:51
Jayson

Horsham
Australia
Hi All,

Time to drop in again with some more pics.

My Grandma asked if I could cut out a few tree shapes for her so she can paint them and turn them into fridge magnets. I told her that I would see what I could do.

trees.jpg

It took just under a minute to do each one. She only wanted four or five but since they were so quick and easy to make, I made a few extras. It is 3mm MDF and was cut with a 3mm router bit.

Today I cut some signs from treated pine. An acquaintance has a commercial machine but was unable to do these due to time restrictions and also due to the size of one of them. The longest sign is 3 meters long and his machine only has an 8 foot bed (2.4 meters) so it was going to be difficult for him to cut anyway. I'm fairly certain that I didn't mention that my machine is home made, cost heaps less than his, but can do more... Well maybe once I did

signs.jpg

I think I'm getting the hang of all of this.

Regards,

Jayson.
Old Sat 13 June 2009, 14:39
LIBBIT
Just call me: John

Mt Roskill, Auckland
New Zealand
Hi Jayson,

Could u pls tell what software you r using (the screen shot)?

Regards

John
Old Sat 13 June 2009, 15:19
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
John,

Look back over the thread. He is using EMC2.
Old Sat 13 June 2009, 21:54
MattyZee
Just call me: Matt

Adelaide
Australia
Jayson, those signs look great.

So how is the spindle working out? Have you got a reactor installed? Any intereference issues?

Also, what is the rating of the outlet you use to power the spindle? I'm thinking I need to get a 20A outlet installed?

Do you have the spindle power going through the same contactor as your stepper motor power supply?
Old Tue 16 June 2009, 04:08
Jayson

Horsham
Australia
Hi Matt,

the spindle is working out great. I'm very glad I got it.
I do not have any reactors installed. There is a little interference coming from the installation but this has not affected the machine only my shed radio.
I am using a standard 240volt 10 amp outlet and not having any problems. The VFD does not get powered off when the Estop is pressed. Instead there is a signal which goes into the external e stop terminal of the VFD which makes the spindle stop very quickly. If you just cut power the spindle has to coast to a stop. If I have an emergency then I need the spindle to stop right away, otherwise it would not be an emergency

Hope this helps,

Jayson.
Old Tue 16 June 2009, 06:46
shaper
Just call me: Jed

Perth, WA
Australia
Jayson/Matt

If you went for a contactor with 1N/O and 1 N/C auxillary contact the same thing could be achieved by running the e stop signal through the normally closed auxillary when you hit the e-stop on the steppers the contactor drops out and the signal line to the VFD closes, would this work
Old Tue 16 June 2009, 11:36
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Jayson - if you are stopping the spindle right away then you may want to put on the braking resistor on the VFD.
Old Wed 24 June 2009, 04:24
MattyZee

Adelaide
Australia
spindle mount?

Did you ever get around to painting your Spindle mount? you promised more pics of it
Old Sat 27 June 2009, 02:03
Jayson

Horsham
Australia
mmm shamed into work again

Here are the pictures you requested... (hot of the camera as I've only just finished them)

spindle mount1.jpg spindle mount2.jpg spindle mount3.jpg spindle mount4.jpg

spindle mount5.jpg

I countersunk the attachment screws and also cut a groove into the front side of the mount so that everything alligned correctly.

I also made another small sign for my sister.

Brid sign.jpg

I hope the original designer doesn't see this and get upset about it.

This one is 220 x 300mm V cut into the back of 3mm acrylic 1.5mm deep.

I still have trouble setting the machine going and leaving it to do its thing. When watching it I go into a trance and stand there for the whole job.

Jayson
Old Sat 27 June 2009, 04:47
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
"I still have trouble setting the machine going and leaving it to do its thing. When watching it I go into a trance and stand there for the whole job".

Jason have you spoken to a doctor about this, it doesn't sound toooo serious in fact it sounds very familiar. If he is able to prescribe a pill why don't you get several extra bags to distribute here on the forum. I know I will take a bag.

That some good looking work!
Old Sat 27 June 2009, 04:57
Jayson

Horsham
Australia
Thanks JR,

I am booked in to see the doctor on Monday, I hope he can help as I seem to loose many hours over the weekend as well. Hopefully he can help me find these also. I will start sending out the pills as soon as I get them

I sure am enjoying this machine...

Jayson.
Old Sat 27 June 2009, 22:08
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Jayson,
Even in a trance, you sound happier than a bird with a french fry!
Old Sun 05 July 2009, 15:07
Besser
Just call me: Besser

Vic
Australia
Sign Painting

Hey Jayson and MechMaties,

To get a nice finish on outdoor signs, try painting the board before machining. Once painted cover with lowtack film (sometimes called frisk, like the stuff you cover books with) then machine, then paint the recess with paint and peel off the film. Easy eye popping finish!

Have fun...
Old Mon 06 July 2009, 00:01
MattyZee

Adelaide
Australia
hey Jayson, I just went back to look at your belt reduction drive and i think my pulleys are the same size as yours, and you also have 14mm dia motor shafts. You have a 15T small pulley right? did you have enough wall left on them after you bored them out to 14mm? My pulleys only have 16mm dia hub. I think i have the to scrap my 15T and go up a few sizes. but then i'll have an odd ratio
Old Mon 06 July 2009, 01:28
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Can you press a steel ring over to improve the collar strength?
Old Mon 06 July 2009, 17:04
Jayson

Horsham
Australia
Hi Besser,

thanks for the advice on painting the signs. I will keep this in mind for future referance.

Hi MattyZee,

Yep, my small pulleys are 15 tooth. As Gerald suggested you can put a ring on the outside of the pulley if there is room. Look at post #60 in my thread and you will see this is exactly what I did. I used aluminium instead of steel, so far this has not proven to be an issue. Aside from giving more room for the grubscrew, it also allowed me to get the pulley centered in the lathe more easily.

Regards,

Jayson.
Old Tue 07 July 2009, 01:41
Besser
Just call me: Besser

Vic
Australia
Jayson,

What is the depth of Cut (also bit diameter) you get on aluminum? I have been wondering what is possible with a T6 or T7 grade? Do you run Air cooling on the bits?
Old Thu 09 July 2009, 17:45
Dale Murray
Just call me: Skull

Brisbane, Qld
Australia
G'Day Jayson,
My name is Dale Murray. I'm an Aussie working in Afghanistan at the moment. I will be back in the USA at the end of the year and plan to start buying the parts I need to build a Mechmate. But for now I will be buying all the parts that I can from the USA (hopefully cheaply) before I come home in 2011.
As you have the first operational MechMate in Oz I thought I would ask your advice about what you parts you could buy in Australia and what you had to buy from the USA or overseas. I realise that you already had the Steppers and drivers from your "Photographic equipment" spares.
I was also considering asking Gerald if we could start a Australian thread where we could get together and pool our information about the best place to get the hard to find parts (without giving Quoted prices of course). I have noted that there is about 20 Australians that actively contribute to the Mechmate forum.
The main reason that I would like to set up an Australian thread is that I have already spent many hours trying to find certain parts on the internet both in Australia and the USA to compare prices and figure out what you can buy in Australia and what I can’t. Besides I like to buy the very best that I can afford but hate finding it cheaper a week later at another site.
Oh and very well done on the first Mechmate in Oz. You have inspired me to get a Mechmate number of my own.

Cheers Dale
Old Fri 10 July 2009, 07:21
jvfc
Just call me: Vladimir

Curitiba
Brazil
Send a message via MSN to jvfc
Hello, Jayson.
What the assessment which you have about VDF and water colled spindle, works fine?
hugs
Old Sat 11 July 2009, 06:18
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Hi Jayson,

Great build, very interesting reading your whole thread. Looking to venture into a build myself at some stage, just starting to do all my homework, so we shall see how we go.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Sun 12 July 2009, 05:55
Jayson

Horsham
Australia
Hi All,

I have been absent for a while due to lack of internet. Sorry to anyone waiting for answers...

Besser, the aluminium pieces that I have posted pictures of previously were cut on my CNC milling machine. For the mill I use cutting fluid and I think the bit was 6mm diameter. More on cutting aluminium on the Mechmate soon...

Dale, I am glad that I have inspired you to take the plunge. Most of my parts were sourced locally, the only imported components were the spindle and VFD. Having said that, the price of the rack in Australia was by far the most surprising part of the whole exercise. If you can get the rack shipped to Australia economically I would suggest you do, unless things have changed a lot since I purchased mine. Other Australians currently building will be able to guide you on the current rack pricing here. If you don't want to make the V rollers yourself then I suggest you get these as well. I found the rollers to be around AU$75 each, a little too steep for me so I made mine.

Vladimir, I am very pleased with the spindle and the VFD. I do not have any complaints at all about them.

Tony, glad to see another Aussie. If you look carefully at some of the pictures on my thread as well as those of others it should help prevent making some of the mistakes that I and others have already. I look forward to reading your thread.

OK, housework out of the way here are a few more pics..

I was asked by a friend to see if I could cut some 0.063 inch T2024-T3 aluminium on the Mechmate. Always up for a challenge I gave it a try. I can not pertain to being an expert on cutting aluminium but so far my settings have worked. I used a feedrate of 1000mm/min spindle speed of 20,000rpm and a cut depth of 0.5mm per pass. These figures were/are very conservative but until I learn how hard I can push things they will do.

panel-1.jpg panel-2.jpg panel-3.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised at the finished quality of the first panel. So were some other that saw it and within 2 days I was asked to make the other 2 panels. The pictures do not do them justice but the finish is very good. The aluminium has a protective plastic coating on it which tears a little when machining, giving the rough looking appearance. This is just the plastic not the aluminium. It looks like my machine is capable of cutting aluminium, that’s lucky since that’s what I wanted it to do.

airspeed.jpg

I also tried see if I could do some small text on the Mechmate. It worked out fairly well. Next time I will try to go a little smaller.

Till next time,

Jayson.
Old Sun 12 July 2009, 07:10
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Nice to see Jayson posting again - always some surprises
Old Sun 12 July 2009, 11:22
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Cool. Your friend must be constructing an airplane. I'm interested in doing that someday so this info is fascinating. Thanks for posting.
Old Sun 09 August 2009, 04:31
Jayson

Horsham
Australia
Been doing some more signs. this time a little of redgum routing.

The first was the Pups bar sign, the letters are 120 mm high complete sign is 1200mm x 190mm.

Pups Bar.jpg

The disabled toilets sign was a few days later. The letters are 40mm high and complete sign is 330mm x 82mm.

Disabled Toilets.jpg

I was impressed by the overall results. Will do more red gum in the future.

Wheelchair.jpg

Gerald once a build is complete would you rather these type of posts be placed directly into the Showroom thread to save you having to copy them there and also save a little room?

Thanks,

Jayson
Old Sun 09 August 2009, 07:52
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Jayson, the choice is yours on where to place the posts. It is a bit less work if you place them direct to the Showroom, but if you want to have a collection of work in your own thread then you need to place them here.
Old Sun 09 August 2009, 08:30
MattyZee

Adelaide
Australia
You seem to have a couple of friends with bars, i hope they shout you a few drinks after you make them signs like that. they look great.
Iit might be nice if you could give a brief description of cutter type(s), feedrate, depth per pass, total time cutting etc. (if you don't mind sharing those details)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read