MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > Cutting various materials - bit selection, feeds, speeds
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 09 July 2010, 21:02
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Need Advise on Plastic Urgently

I was approached to produce a batch of 300 custom profiled pipe clamps within 10 days upon order.

These clamps are normally made with Injection moulding.. but they turn to me due to time constrain.

I'm planning to use custom 12mm dia end mill or router bit for the job. I hope the custom bit maker can supply in time.

The material is PE 500, very near equivalent to HDPE, I need to cut the profile from 200mm thick sheet.

Before I take the order, I really want to confirm if I can do this type of sheet thickness?

Thanks in advance
Old Sat 10 July 2010, 07:27
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Will it look like this? And be as thick as the plastic sheet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plastic Clamp.jpg (19.7 KB, 257 views)
Old Sat 10 July 2010, 08:55
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Ken,

My suggestion and from my experience, the best thing you can do for your self is to buy a piece and cut some samples. This way you will learn what you need to do.

Better to test before you take on a job that you can not complete.

Good luck.
Old Sat 10 July 2010, 09:22
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Ken,
200mm (8") - I have cut hardwood that deep at the bit diameter/pass. USE TABS.
As long as your gantry height allows for this cut depth, you should be fine.
Bit length + material depth - retract height... Do you have 16" available?
Old Sat 10 July 2010, 21:33
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
The clap has a wedge-ish external contour & will require to take some compression load from pipes above it, it is also a spacer... It uses strips rather then bolts to clam.

Would love to post the drawing but there is a non-disclosure clause to it...

I do have 205mm stroke available to play with...

will ordered a sample for trial, should have them by monday latest Tuesday.

My material stocky came back with max 150mm thickness
must pass the idea of cutting from 200mm sheet instead 2 layers of 100mm & bond together.

Now which glue to use? Epoxy? Polyester? or just bolt them up with 2 bolts...... decisions decision....

The dateline for the quotation will be on Monday... so I need to know if our MM can do the job... or should I turn down the opportunity & hate myself for the rest of my life...?
Old Sat 10 July 2010, 21:43
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
16" dia end mill can be arranged, however, my spindle can take up to 16mm collet... will the end mill stay straight during cut is another head-ache...
Anyway, now that I must cut 100mm (~4") can I & is it advisable to do the cut in a single pass or should I do it in multiple pass with a 3/4" end mill or router bit...
Old Sun 11 July 2010, 00:20
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Ken, I would do multiple passes as there is to much that can go wrong if you try it in one pass.
Old Sun 11 July 2010, 01:10
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Managed to convince the client to allow me to re-engineer the clamp & their clamping system design.
Will mill the clamp from 100mm thick material. & I'll take Hennie's advise to play it safe with multiple passes... now, will have to find a 12~25mm end mill or router bit that can cut 100+mm deep...
Old Sun 11 July 2010, 01:17
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
There I can`t help
Old Sun 11 July 2010, 03:00
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
If you turn it over?
Old Sun 11 July 2010, 08:44
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
It will be wonderful if I don't have to turn the workpiece over, can save lots of man hour. But if I can't find the suitable bit, I'll just have to turn the work piece. Anyway, there is no harm trying to find a tool bit that is long enough & strong enough... Praying for the best...

Thanks to your generous advises, you might not had notice it, but you guys sure gave me lots of confident over this. This job might just be THE crucial job which will set my track straight. Can't thank you all enough.
Old Sun 11 July 2010, 09:27
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
If you have to turn it over, there is a trick to get the "registration" exactly right.....similar to the pin-hole method mentioned in that link. We drill 2 symmetrical holes right through the edge of the workpiece into the table. After flipping over, dowels in those holes line it up.

Last edited by Gerald D; Sun 11 July 2010 at 12:16..
Old Sun 11 July 2010, 09:38
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Thanks Gerald, but I get a 404 error on the registration link
Old Sun 11 July 2010, 12:17
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Sorry, fixed the link now.
Old Sun 11 July 2010, 13:51
purpura
Just call me: Gonzalo

Segovia
Spain
Hi ken, alomejor the union of the parts can be welded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNa3Txagma0 , a greeting.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read