MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Sat 20 March 2010, 12:01
joseph gerard
Just call me: John

california
United States of America
Question The term workholding!!

Hi there,
I'm stuck in between to understand a term work-holding, it is used in mechanical terms but I just don't know the exact meaning and for what process or work this term stands for. Can anybody help me in this topic.

Joseph
Old Sat 20 March 2010, 14:06
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Holding down the work while the machine cuts?
Old Sat 20 March 2010, 20:45
max.elliott
Just call me: Max

Kansas City
United States of America
http://www.google.com/search?q=workh...&oe=utf-8&aq=t

More like the tools holding the wood to be worked upon perfectly still. "I used my workholding clamps to keep the 4x8 MDF sheet from sliding about." or "I use a vacuum table as my workholding device."
Old Sat 20 March 2010, 23:58
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
In workshop term, work is the workpiece or the piece of object which you are working on. it can be wood, steel or even ice.
Now you can interprete "workholding" to your fancy.

*PS, Sometimes, job is used instead of work.
Old Sun 21 March 2010, 09:01
PrecisionSpindle
Just call me: David

Ontario
Canada
Workholding

As a noun, Workholding is the tool that is fastened to the machine and clamps and holds the workpiece. Workholding may position the workpiece to a desireable location during the clamping process, so it could, for example, center the workpiece or it push it to to one side. So, it could be the manual chuck, the power chuck, the collet chuck, the magnetic chuck, the vacuum chuck, the clamp ... to name a few.

As a verb, Workholding would be the action of clamping and holding the workpiece to the machine so that work, or measurement, can be done to it.

You can look at it this way, ... workholding is the tool that marries the workpiece to the machine for the period of time to perform work or measurement.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts