MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Rails & Rollers
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 05 June 2009, 17:24
Sheldon Dingwall
Just call me: Sheldon

Saskatoon, SK
Canada
Spring washers instead of V-roller shims

I'm having trouble with shimming the V-rollers on my gantry. I've made .010" shim washers out of brass, but they are causing the rest of the washer stack to cup. The cupped washers then rub on the bearing seal.

Is there a reason I shouldn't use steel disc springs to shim the V-rollers? It would be a lot easier to fine tune the roller position and square the gantry. The washers in my catalog provide up to 200 lbs of force each and can be stacked in parallel for more force.

http://www.spaenaur.com/pdf/sectionD/D50.pdf

Last edited by Sheldon Dingwall; Fri 05 June 2009 at 17:35..
Old Mon 15 June 2009, 10:36
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Hi Sheldon

I have been away for a while, got back today . . . . .

The disc springs will be good if you have at least about 60lbs pressure on them. That is about as much as the stepper motors can handle before losing steps - the notors will give before the washers do.

Brass shims cannot carry on a small area - brass is too weak for that. Why don't you use steel shim washers? http://www.mcmaster.com/#shims-and-shim-stock/=2bumxh
Old Tue 16 June 2009, 15:39
Sheldon Dingwall
Just call me: Sheldon

Saskatoon, SK
Canada
School of hard knocks lesson here. The washer springs can't hold the bolt straight. They adjust beautifully, but the idea's a bust.

What thickness of shim do you recommend? I'm thinking .005" will be a good enough resolution.
Old Tue 16 June 2009, 21:04
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
We used 0.2mm, so .005" should be okay

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read