MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 04 December 2015, 19:17
wncranger
Just call me: Ranger

Phoenix, AZ
United States of America
New to CNC in Phoenix, AZ

Greetings and Salutations to All,

I'm really interested in designing an uav with FPV for agricultural use. I also would like to put everything into the public domain for educational and recreational usage. I have been researching CNC Hotwire and routers and am quite overwhelmed. Im also a bit long winded so forgive me.

A little bit about me, I'm a disabled veteran with a degree in computer and electronic engineering. Living on a fixed income is challenging but I want to give something back to students and educators and my fellow veterans and for all who are interested. My interests are not commercial. I don't want any money as that defeats the purpose entirely. I will need help, though! This is all new to me but I love to learn and to share what I've learned.

I don't have a website yet but will use whatever resources I can find on the Internet to publish updates, progress, etc.

The aircraft I am designing will have a payload capacity of 25 to 30 pounds and the total weight will be > 55 pounds. I'm designing for gas engines and/or electric. The airframe will made of composit materials and I'm aiming for a 3+ hour flight duration. The design is based on gliders and sailplanes.

I'm not an aeronautical engineer so forgive me if my terminology is wrong and I encourage debate and discussion of my design. My desire is to learn and in turn pass on what I've learned along with the help of others.

I need to build a CNC machine that will allow me cut foam and, if possible plastic. I'm CNC dumb so go easy on me. I need to cut wings, fuselage, etc. I don't know if a router or Hotwire is more suited. I also don't know how many axis' are required. If someone would be so kind as to give me a starting point, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Sat 05 December 2015, 13:37
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Welcome aboard. ... If you want to hot wire cut foam blocks, another design might be better. This design can cut flat foam, and plywood, and just about anything else you have in mind.

This machine might be huger overkill for your use, but study, learn, and judge it for your use after that!

Only you can judge your needs. ...

My suggestion is to read, read, read some more, as a few questions, and read more! The benefits of education is the value is never lost, IMHO, it just makes for a better understanding of possible different solutions!
Old Sun 06 December 2015, 21:09
wncranger
Just call me: Ranger

Phoenix, AZ
United States of America
Thank you! Im looking across the internet for a diy cnc hotwire machine but everyone who builds them goes commercial, nothing wrong with that of course, but it makes it challenging. That just means I am going to have to work hard and that's always good as you learn more. Looks like I need to find some steppers and servo motors and put my thinking cap on.
Old Mon 07 December 2015, 12:06
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
HobbyCNC.com did a lot of supporting foam cutters, but they are going out of business (retiring) and are shuttering the doors at the end of the year.

PhlatBoyz.com is pretty good about cutting foam, but I am not sure how they are going. You might check their forums.

I am NOT saying 'not on MechMate', but pointing to some possibly better resources for this effort.

I knew a guy that does custom concrete and has a large hot-wire foam cutter made from 80/20 extrusions. A simple but large design. I think it is commercially made (or made by someone and sold to him), but he cuts 4'x4'x8' blocks in all kinds of ways. Similar to how some flying modelers would cut for long wingspan sail planes. The one that guy has is run by 4 NEMA 17 steppers and works well for him. I don't know what software he uses. He does have a separate power supply (with temp control) for the hot-wire (nichrome I am guessing) he is using.

Hope this helps.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read