MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Human Interface Devices (HID's)
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 23 June 2007, 10:56
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Just thought this might be of interest. This is a Contour Shuttle Pro II. I have 1 on my cnc wood lathe. It has got to be the best thing I have done to the lathe. A friend is running one on his cnc router, he has about 30' of cable connecting it to the computer. He can walk completely around his machine. He said it is the best thing since sliced bread. Artsoft has made a plug-in for Mach that will let you assign the 15 buttons to almost control you choose + the 2 wheels can be ajusted to your satisfaction (for jogging or moving 1 step at the time). It is even better than having a portable keyboard. I already have one waiting for my MechMate. Regards J.R. ps the caps of the 9 top buttons are removable so a label can be inserted.

Old Sat 23 June 2007, 11:10
IN-WondeR
Just call me: Kim

Randers
Denmark
Nice

What is the price tag for one of those.???
Old Sat 23 June 2007, 11:15
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
On e-bay used around US $60. Other places on the internet less than $100 new.
Old Sun 24 June 2007, 07:59
TomR
Just call me: Tom

Glendora, NewJersey
United States of America
I also use one of these on my cnc machine, the Mach3 plug-in works great.

You can position any axis dead on to any position using the wheel dial.

I do a lot of prepping premade prefinished raised panel cabinet doors for glass
and this tool saves me considerable time making these cutouts.

Mine has worked flawlessly for the past year.

Tom
Old Sat 29 December 2007, 06:26
Kipper
Just call me: Keith

Leeds
United Kingdom
I have one too and can report it to be very good...Also a Griffin Powermate...Very poor by comparison...imho
Old Tue 01 January 2008, 19:19
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Just ordered mine.

When up and running, will report.
Old Wed 02 January 2008, 03:03
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
Greg don't load the software that comes with it (as per Art Fenerty), mach 3 has its own plugin. If you don't mind telling, how much did you pay and where did you get it? If I may make 1 more suggestion, it comes with a 5' cord, when you add the extenion, tape the USB connectors together w/electrical tape and or heat shrink tube (dust proof and to keep them from pulling apart).
Old Wed 02 January 2008, 13:03
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
J.R.,

Thanks for advice. Will do.

I bought mine straight off the Contour Design web site. $110 plus shipping

Last night I placed my gantry on the table and the Y-car on top of the gantry. V-rollers not installed yet. But, boy, what a sight.

Feb or Mar, I should make my first cut. Can't wait.
Old Fri 08 February 2008, 20:45
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
JR and Greg,

I just got mine in!
Here's is a template of button labels to use.
Have fun....
Sean

SHUTTLE_PRO_MM.pdf
Old Sat 09 February 2008, 06:34
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Thanks Sean.
Old Sun 17 February 2008, 17:43
J.R. Hatcher

United States of America
I've been off line for about a week. Setting up a new computer and some other things. Just saw your post .......... thanks they will come in handy.
Old Sun 17 February 2008, 18:04
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
if you guys have any special button needs just pm or email the names of the buttons and I will add to the master sheet. Or If you like, I can send you the coreldraw file.
Old Mon 07 April 2008, 23:17
lovmac
Just call me: lovmac

anytown
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by smreish View Post
if you guys have any special button needs just pm or email the names of the buttons and I will add to the master sheet. Or If you like, I can send you the coreldraw file.

I would love a copy of the native file, if you don;t mind sharing. Thanks!
Old Fri 18 April 2008, 20:52
dmoore
Just call me:

I just setup the Contour Shuttle Pro with my current CNC machine and I have to agree - the Shuttle Pro is really nice. I setup buttons for ref all, feed rate, zeroing and reset. The outer (black) rotating dial is proportional - turn it faster and the selected axis moves faster. The same applies to the inner (silver) rotating dial - instead, moving at hundredths of an inch as opposed to tens or inches at a time with the outer ring. I was completely impressed with the ability to make the finest of adjustments such as setting the Z flush with the material surface without running into it - something hard to do with the keyboard. The Mach3 plug-in was super simple - download the plug-in from the Mach3 support side, start Mach3 and pick the functions you want to assign.

On the downside - it's really flat so it's not really easy to pickup off a flat surface without using the cord. You also must select each axis, make your move and then select the next axis - unlike use of a joystick plug-in. Last is the length of the cord - about 4 feet. You will need USB extension cords.

Highly recommend - only 90$ from www.newegg.com
Old Fri 18 April 2008, 22:25
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore View Post
On the downside - it's really flat so it's not really easy to pickup off a flat surface without using the cord.
Hence this hack:
http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/s...ntproject.html

I don't like that hack, but it does indicate that the Shuttle is not untouchable and it can be modified to become more of a cnc pendant.
Old Tue 10 June 2008, 21:05
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Setup the Shuttle Pro this evening. Very simple and quick.

Don't like the flat bottom (same issue as discussed already), but, it is a handy device. It will make zeroing much faster.
Old Tue 10 June 2008, 23:12
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Greg, could you please summarise the basic steps it needed to setup the Shuttle Pro?
Old Wed 11 June 2008, 05:35
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Here's a link for the installation instructions.

Most important: Do not install the Shuttle Pro software. Use the free software from Mach.

http://www.machsupport.com/plugins/S...stallation.pdf

Basically, you download a dll file. It installs itself in the Mach/plugin directory. The installation instructions say to click on the dll file and the program should work (just as a check). Mine didn't but no big deal.

I started Mach3 Mill and under plugin configuration (working from memory) is the Shuttle Pro configuration. Very simple. The configuration shows a picture of the pendent with all the buttons. All the buttons have a drop down menu. Just click and press OK, and the darn thing works.

I like it when things, specially software, work.

Last edited by Greg J; Wed 11 June 2008 at 05:39.. Reason: Most important point, oops.
Old Wed 11 June 2008, 05:56
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Thanks Greg.
Old Wed 11 June 2008, 07:54
dmoore
Just call me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg J View Post
Setup the Shuttle Pro this evening. Very simple and quick.
Greg - I couldn't agree more. Other than the flat shape of the Shuttle Pro, it's a really great product. You might also see my post on USB in the y-car for just this purpose.
Old Wed 11 June 2008, 08:04
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Will do David,

Still haven't figure out how to activate the "outer wheel", yet. Something to do with the pulse engine configuration ... I'll get it tonight.
Old Wed 11 June 2008, 15:51
dmoore
Just call me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg J View Post
Still haven't figure out how to activate the "outer wheel", yet.
Assign each of the axis to a button (see below), then select that axis. The outter ring (black) should jog slow or fast depending on how far you turn it. The inside (silver) three button ring will move single steps.

I'd also recommend against using the little paper labels and plastic caps that come with the shuttle - the first time you hit it against something or drop it, the caps will pop off.
Old Wed 11 June 2008, 16:17
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Thanks David,

The inner wheel works (jog single step), but the outter wheel does nothing. I'll play with it tonight.
Old Sun 12 October 2008, 19:53
DMS
Just call me: Sharma #9 India

Rajasthan
India
Can someone direct me to the Indian link for shuttle pro equivalent. My gamepad arrangement is temporary as this does not look professional.
Old Sun 12 October 2008, 21:29
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Well the best thing would be to ask someone to mail it to you from US. the nearest place would be Singapore - but its expensive over there.

If someone can mail it to you as a gift no cost to receiver you don't even get charged the custom.

RGDS
Irfan
Old Mon 13 October 2008, 05:38
skypoke
Just call me: Chuck

Port Aransas
United States of America
If I may make a suggestion...

I ended up using a Logitech wireless gamepad controller. It's now set so all axis are controlled by the two joysticks,(all axis can be jogged simultaneously in proportion to the joysticks input) there are plenty of extra buttons that can be set to control pretty much anything in Mach. I will soon try to get it to initiate the z zero routine.

Not having the cord to contend with is very nice and it has worked flawlessly, cost $35.00, took about 15 minutes to program. No need for any add in programs for Mach. It's ruggedly built, meant to withstand teenager assault as they cruise the mean streets of Grand Theft Auto. Range is about 30 feet. It's really nice to be able to control the gantry from anywhere in the shop. I would think this device is readily available internationally.

Chuck

Last edited by skypoke; Mon 13 October 2008 at 05:42..
Old Mon 13 October 2008, 07:02
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
Chuck,

Which Logictech device are you using? I am simply amazed that it works. I have had nothing but trouble with wireless devices at my desk let alone in the shop controlling a machine. I would love to know exactly which one you are successfully using.
Old Mon 13 October 2008, 07:30
DMS
Just call me: Sharma #9 India

Rajasthan
India
I am already using it to control x, y z seperately in + - direction and 8 other buttons are used for other functions like ref all home toggle router on/off, cycle start, stop, resume, rewind etc. Though it is usb but I have it for four years and it is very tough build. See photo http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...7&postcount=49
But it does not look pro on pro machine, or does it ?
Old Mon 13 October 2008, 08:44
skypoke
Just call me: Chuck

Port Aransas
United States of America
I'm using a Logitech Rumblepad wireless controller. It has a small reciever that plugs into a usb port on computer. It comes with software for config which is all I used...didn't have to mess with changing Mach or adding plugins.

As far as looking pro, I'm a form follows function guy. This thing works great and the wireless aspect makes up for a consumer look. The fact that you can go down to a department store and buy a new controller if necessary is a plus. Plus, Logitech is known as a mfg. of quality products.

linky http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ga...s/287&cl=US,EN

If you look at the specs, please note I don't have mine set up to reveal all the crashes and explosions!

Chuck

Last edited by skypoke; Mon 13 October 2008 at 08:51..
Old Mon 13 October 2008, 09:06
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
It should be easy to disguise a rumblepad to look like a pendant . . . .hack the horns and wrap in lasercut box?

Anyway, the reason for the popularity of the Shuttle is its wheel function, that emulates a handwheel on a milling machine or lathe. Gives very precise "dialling in" to get exactly to a marked point - supposedly a vast improvement on a joystick.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read