MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 11 August 2009, 08:47
silverdog
Just call me: Sergio #70

Rome
Italy
A lazy start ... in Rome, Italy

It took a while .... but finally I started !
The laser cuts arrived from Denmark (Kim), the V bearing are coming from Superior bearing, I will have all the metal in september ... except for the rails and the Y beams that I already have (so I can have a little work untill september
The monocoque (Y-Car) is already welded,
So now .... I'm sorry, some doubts/problems.
in the drawing 10 40 432 the spider seems to mesure 198mm +1 & -2
in my case for 198-2mm I have 198-3 ..... I think it's ok (the spider it is not alredy completely flat but quite), but for 198+1 I have difference of 3 mm and the place where the spider shoud be mounted in the Y-Car monocoque is 22 mm, so the difference is something around 6mm. Is this a problem ? as log as I serched I could not find any image on how spider is attached to the Y-Car so maybe it's a stupid question (just use some washers) .... , in that case I'm sorry for the disturb.
Sergio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sholuldn't be 198+1.jpg (31.1 KB, 627 views)
File Type: jpg Shouldn’t be 198-2.jpg (33.4 KB, 625 views)
File Type: jpg Spider Gap.jpg (42.3 KB, 628 views)
File Type: jpg Y-Car.jpg (41.5 KB, 629 views)
File Type: jpg Not Parallel.jpg (41.6 KB, 623 views)
Old Tue 11 August 2009, 09:12
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Welcome Sergio!

The 6mm space is not a problem - you add some washers, or plates, each side before you tighten the screws.

From your last picture it looks lke some bends went a little bit too much. This is quite normal for the bending companies because they know we can "straighten" the bends easily. If you take a 2kg hammer you can "flatten" some of those bends a little bit.
Old Tue 11 August 2009, 11:21
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Thank you very much Gerard,
It is a relief that I did not started too badly
If you are interessed in any kind of picture to document the progress of a beginner in mechanical engineering .... just ask, I will be glad to document the work.
Sergio
Old Tue 11 August 2009, 12:19
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Sergio. Best of luck on your build.
Old Tue 11 August 2009, 13:21
silverdog

Rome
Italy
thanks Heath
Old Tue 11 August 2009, 16:35
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Sergio,

Congratulations on your beginning.

I vote, YES, on lots of pictures to document your build.
Old Wed 12 August 2009, 08:32
silverdog

Rome
Italy
John,I have an idea if Gerad agree ....
As I cannot compete with any of the fine craftmen here in any speciality (mechanics, electronics, welding ecc ecc.) my contribution could be a documentatin on how an "idiot" (wiki:from Greek "person lacking professional skill") build the mechmate .... a sort of "the contruction of the Mechmate by a dummy". This can encourage less skilled people like me, and also avoid making some stupid mistake or sometimes just forgetfulness.
ciao
Old Wed 12 August 2009, 09:21
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Sergio, you would be most welcome to document a "dummies" build, but you Italians are far too modest - just think Ferrari, Colombo, HSD, Biesse . . . . . .

I have a feeling that you will be producing a great machine (and probably paint it red), but it would be nice to see the mistakes and lessons along the way too.
Old Thu 13 August 2009, 01:44
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
..... just think Ferrari, . . . . . .
I have a feeling that you will be producing a great machine (and probably paint it red)
Gerard, I need help, I cannot find any specifications about the Tires for the mechmate
.... and there is a new law in Italy about Red color, our Master (prime minister) thinks it's a too communist color so even Ferrari in the future will not be allowed to use it anymore, be prepared to see those car in an "Optimistic Pink"
Old Thu 13 August 2009, 09:45
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Mechmate blue should still be ok then?
Old Fri 14 August 2009, 04:11
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino11 View Post
Mechmate blue should still be ok then?
Yesss !!!
Old Thu 28 October 2010, 14:09
federicodimeo
Just call me: marte

bacoli
Italy
silverdog thanks. I am very pleased to meet you.
I have some questions about where you bought the MM laser-cut kit, I
can give indications and the price.
the guides you've built with flex (so called in Naples do not know
from you) if you are good.
then (I know that I'm bombarded with questions, I'm sorry but they are not
practical mechanics) you have photos of your MM.
Old Fri 29 October 2010, 02:41
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Ciao Federico,
You can find the laser parts in this forum under the section "the market place" :
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69
or
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1883

Yes, flex=frullino=smerigliatrice=grinder .... if you use the skate as described in:
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479
it's very easy to produce some very precise rails. I had all the rails done in 3 days you need a "flex" a precise base table (necessary for the precisin cut) and some patience :-)
Just read and follow the instructions, there is a thread for each part of the mechmate. If you have truobles ask. Me too I'm not a practical mechanic nor I have special equipment. Welding it's not very difficult, alignment .... some patience some "squadre"and a good mechanic level (I had to bought it).
ciao

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read