MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 01 May 2007, 18:27
Doug Boyd
Just call me:

Kiwi Builders

Hi, firstly a quick intro. I'm Doug, living just north of Auckland in New Zealand's North Island. My company manufactures pro-audio loudspeaker cabinets and flightcases.

I'm currently looking at moving on from the standard tablesaw/router template method of cutting components from sheet ply and have been investigating CNC machines, which has led me here. I'm looking at building a 1300 x 2500 minimum bed size for up to 25mm ply.

Are there any other New Zealand builders wanting to take the plunge that want to band together to get the laser cutting components done?

Gerald; an excellent project and forum that seems to have most of the answers : ) Well done.

Doug
Old Tue 01 May 2007, 23:28
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Welcome Doug! There are surprisingly few Kiwis among the 1300+ that have registered for this forum

Thanks for the comments on the Forum. I am going to convert to vBulletin in about 2 weeks time and things are going to be very rough for a while. Apologies in advance for the disruption.
Old Thu 03 May 2007, 15:43
Euan Stewart
Just call me:

Hi Doug (and Gerald, great site by the way!!)

I'm Euan, another Kiwi, I'm based in Christchurch (home of the mighty Crusaders!!) and am looking into building one of these machines. I'm surprised more New Zealanders aren't into this as we are the worlds best Do-It-Yourselfers (self proclaimed of course)

I'm looking at building a mammoth Mechmate for cutting 4000x2450x38 board, so will have to customize it somewhat to maintain some stiffness I'm sure, although the 2450 gantry is not a whole lot bigger than some machines (will be posting queries about this at a later date).

As far as combining the laser cutting goes I don't know whether it will save us any to combine. Seeing as we live on different islands I'm guessing the freight cost will eat up any savings we make by combining. I'm in the process of getting a few quotes for laser cutting, will also enquire about freight and keep you in the loop.

All the best, maybe it can be a race to build the first Mechmate built in NZ!

Regards
Euan Stewart
Old Thu 03 May 2007, 23:26
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Welcome Euan! I didn't think a 4 meter board would fit on your little island - and then you say that transport charges are high??

For your 2450 [8'] gantry, I think you will be fine with 100x50x3mm rectangular tubes and geared x-motors......
Old Fri 04 May 2007, 05:51
Thomas M. Rybczyk
Just call me:

Hello Euan,

"I'm surprised more New Zealanders aren't into this as we are the worlds best Do-It-Yourselfers"

I just watched The World's Fastest Indian on Showtime here in the US and after seeing what Burt Munro did in his little shed, it would be hard to argue with your statement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_Munro

Quite an amazing story.

Good luck,
Tom
Old Wed 04 July 2007, 13:47
Richard Honey
Just call me: Richard

Lesmurdie
Australia
I just saw that the Kiwi's lost to Switzerland in the Americas Cup sailing competition.

Was that the Kiwi crewed Switzerland boat beating the Kiwi crewed New Zealand boat?

All power to you Kiwis!

Richard Honey

Western Australia
Old Wed 04 July 2007, 22:14
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
That was one heck of a finish. The Swiss winning the America's Cup, what's this world coming too?

We'll get her back one of these days.

Greg
Old Sat 10 January 2009, 15:00
LIBBIT
Just call me: John

Mt Roskill, Auckland
New Zealand
Your MM build

Hi Doug,

I'm John from Christchurch, just arrived from South Africa.

Have u started your build yet? I'm planing mine this year.

Regards

John.
Old Sat 10 January 2009, 22:07
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Welcome back John. Jy beter begin Boetie!
Old Sun 11 January 2009, 01:36
wheelygood
Just call me: Steve

Auckland
New Zealand
Steve from Auckland here, just joined a few days ago and already suffering from sleep loss as I slowly work my way through the forums. Soon to start on my own MM
Old Mon 12 January 2009, 12:36
LIBBIT

Mt Roskill, Auckland
New Zealand
Hi Steve,

I've spent some time in and around the forums and have a pretty good idea whats up.

My plan is to build a CAD model (in SolidWorks) of the parts to get a better understanding of the MM before I start my build. I have also got some prices for the stepper motors from www.MotionKing.com. The next few days I will be looking into the rollers and v-rails. Shit the stuff is expencive.

Regards

John
Old Mon 12 January 2009, 12:37
LIBBIT

Mt Roskill, Auckland
New Zealand
Hi Johan,

May u have a very busy MM new year.

My work e-mail is john.vanderhoven@hamjet.co.nz and private is john.vanderhoven@xtra.co.nz

Regards

John
Old Mon 12 January 2009, 23:43
wheelygood
Just call me: Steve

Auckland
New Zealand
Cool Steel and stuff

I have been pricing up steel .... NZD$91 +gst / m for 200x75 channel .... USD$51.00. Thats close to 1 k for my build just on the x axis. Apparrently the price is expected to drop mid to late Feb when the new stock comes in. So hold on a bit longer if you are in NZ. I am also waiting on a laser cutting and bending price to come in. Their price may drop as well in a months time.
1.5 module rack is $115/m spur gears $12 each. Looking at OM motors with the 7.2 gearbox and Gecko drives ..... $$$$$$ plus freight .... yikes.
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 23:19
LIBBIT

Mt Roskill, Auckland
New Zealand
Hi Doug,

Have you done your MM build?

Thank you,

John
Old Fri 02 July 2010, 16:43
decibel
Just call me: Doug

Auckland
New Zealand
Hi John,

Disapointingly I have not moved ahead with this as yet - mainly due to lack of time & funds. You?

Where have you looked at re laser cutting & bending?

Doug
Old Fri 17 December 2010, 16:29
decibel

Auckland
New Zealand
Finally, a slow start

After following the forum for 2 1/2 years, I guess I've finally started with the purchase of an enclosure for the control box. Managed to get a 500 x 500 x 120mm Bremca cabinet re purposed from an airconditioning controller for the huge sum of NZD$31 (about US$23).

The build will be long and slow with used, recycled items - budget and impending expanding family will dictate the pace, with control box & PC first then steelwork.

I've located some 640oz Nema 34 motors ex Australia which look like they will fit the bill - http://ausxmods.com.au/stepper-motor...-stepper-motor

They are also the closest Gecko suppliers I've found and also produce their own BOB.

Linear power supply should not be a problem, having made high power audio amplifiers in the past - I may even scrap a partially working unit for the MM p/s.

Anyone else have a MM underway in NZ?

Doug

Last edited by decibel; Fri 17 December 2010 at 16:35..
Old Fri 17 December 2010, 18:56
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Yep those motors will work fine. They can be used direct drive or as belt drive motors.
Old Sun 19 December 2010, 10:54
LIBBIT

Mt Roskill, Auckland
New Zealand
Hey Doug,

Great man and nice motors, will keep that address. Is that $99 AUS?

I've about got my frame together, well just the table part. Next goal is the Y and Z axis.

Cu John
Old Mon 20 December 2010, 17:18
decibel

Auckland
New Zealand
Hi John,

Prices are in AUD$ - they don't seem to ship over here, so I'll probably get them sent to an address over there and freighted across.

I have also located a supplier in Auckland that will do Mod 1 rack in 3m lengths for NZ$80/m (US$59) Gears round NZ$40 each depending on Z.

Have you had the laser cut parts done here?

Doug
Old Tue 21 December 2010, 11:00
LIBBIT

Mt Roskill, Auckland
New Zealand
Hi Doug,

No but the company I worked for had alot of cutting bending done. The buyer said I should contact him if and when I want to have stuff cut. He will make sure I get a good price or at least the same price they pay. Let me know if u need to have stuff done.

I haven't decided if I want to make my rails or use a ALU back bone to attach pre-made rails. I guess to get the rails and axis sorted will be next years problem. There is a guy in South Africa that does a good BOB and at a good price too.

Cu

John
Old Tue 21 December 2010, 14:14
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
I will second Gregs BOB, works well for me see his website
Old Tue 21 December 2010, 22:32
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
No problem with these. I use it as well
Old Tue 21 December 2010, 23:36
decibel

Auckland
New Zealand
Thanks guys - the shipping from SA might kill it though
Old Wed 22 December 2010, 02:17
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I don't think it will be that bad. I know Greg ships worldwide...give him a buzz.
Otherwise get somebody to bring it in by hand. There are many South Africans living in NZ by now.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read