MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 10. Base Table
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 23 December 2007, 17:15
paco
Just call me: Paco

Québec
Canada
All acrylic gate valve for the vacuum hold down

I thought I should post about something I recently made to resolve an issue I was having with plastic ball valves on my vacuum hold down system.

Check it out. Critics, comments and questions are welcome... but it work very well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM1915_r2_wm.JPG (78.6 KB, 568 views)

Last edited by paco; Sun 23 December 2007 at 17:35.. Reason: Adding a image
Old Sun 23 December 2007, 20:03
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Very nice Paco.

Are those 2" pipes that you are using? Is that a Fein vacuum?
Old Mon 24 December 2007, 08:53
paco

Québec
Canada
Yes, schedule 40 PVC 2" piping and yes it's a Fein turbo III.
Old Mon 24 December 2007, 10:47
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Paco.
I assume you cut the acrylic on your MM? If so, maybe you can publish the dxf cut file for all your fans to use It's a great idea and fantastic design. If I understand the principle, when no vacuum, the gate valve slides easily. It "sucks" closed when under vacuum.....Simple and Effective. I like it. Bravo.
Sean
Old Mon 24 December 2007, 13:31
paco

Québec
Canada
Sean,

unfortunately I don't own a MechMate... yet... I've cut the part on my ShopBot PRT Alpha.

The gate slide almost as easily when the vacuum is on or not. I guess that is I had a 15-30 HP vacuum, it would slide a bit less easily...
Old Tue 25 December 2007, 08:43
paco

Québec
Canada
I'm not sure it would help you much to have the 2D drawing but here's the SketchUp model (v6). With it, you can study the relation between various part of it.

Let me know if you really need more.

Merry Xmas!
Old Wed 26 December 2007, 06:09
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Paco,
Thank you for the link to the model. A note you may want to consider. If you fabricate the gate from Sintra (tm) or PVC extruded sheet, you will match the PVC pipe properties and able to glue and mount all together from the same primer and glue. I use PVC sheet often and is available from almost every sign or plastic supplier - in colors too! Thanks and Merry Christmas to you too.
Old Wed 26 December 2007, 08:58
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
I was thinking that as well. I often use it for making templates for routing. It is incredibly tough and easy to machine. I often stop by a local plastics fabrication company and go through their scrap bin. I get it much cheaper that way It typically costs me about one dollar per pound which is a fraction of its cost if you just by it "retail".

I just stick it in my cutoff bin. It is very useful material also for jig making.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read