MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 30 October 2006, 11:56
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Noisy Shaft mounted fans on Fimec & HSD spindles

Received two HSD spindles today - except for the colour and cable connector, they are identical to the Fimec. These photos show the the fan arrangement before any modifications:

Air entry is through the grille on the back

The fan is exactly like a typical water pump - sucks in through the center and flings out around the perimeter

The alu body of the spindle is an extrusion with 4 colling holes. All the air just goes straight through the long holes. Nothing exotic.

If you have ever seen a siren, you'll notice that this is the same construction . . .

Easiest option? Remove fan and blow compressed air into the grille area of the cover...... (seal the grille so that no cold air escapes out that end)
Old Sat 13 January 2007, 07:43
dan sutula
Just call me:

Gerald,
I noticed that the fan on this FIMEC/HSD spindle is of the radial-vane type. I recall from past experience that fans with "backwardly-inclined" vanes are typically quieter. Although - I doubt that the difference would be significant enough in this application, it is perhaps another "angle" to explore.

PS - Outstanding job on the MechMate Project - sharing your knowledge experience and design is a wonderful gift to fellow enthusiasts. Thanks!
Old Sat 13 January 2007, 08:31
Gerald_D
Just call me:

The really quiet fan is a separate Pabst 3656 fan mounted on the back (same as used by some Colombo spindles) Spec Sheet. This range of fans has a choice of Sintec bushes or ball bearings - the Colombo guys have discovered that the bushes don't work too well.

With my first Fimec, I removed the standard plastic fan off the shaft (it broke in the process) and replaced it with the Pabst. A small duct/adapter was needed.
Old Sat 22 January 2011, 12:03
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
These spindles or the water cooled ones, can they work upside down ? Like on a router table
10router_table.JPG
Old Sat 22 January 2011, 14:13
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I see no reason why they cannot be used "upside down."
Old Sat 22 January 2011, 23:15
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Thank's Gerald, so there are no limitation on the bearings by turning it around.
Old Sun 23 January 2011, 01:11
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The moving part of the spindle (rotor/armature) weighs much less than the cutting forces, so the main bearing loads are not created by gravity. I don't see that dust ingress should be a worry on a properly sealed spindle. I have seen some spindles in tables that way around (direct drive spindle moulders)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read